May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

DAY 14
POP
Blondie - Parallel Lines
I like this theme 😄 I originally considered going with a more contemporary choice but decided to fall back on a classic instead! I think this is considered "pop" but some might classify it more as "new wave", idk
View attachment 99292
Ah, I forgot about the bonus points. Not that I have a "tipple" to take a picture of anyhow 😂

In lieu of that, enjoy this picture of my late night hedonism in the form of cookies instead. In my defense, the end results of eating too many cookies and drinking too much alcohol can both be pretty disastrous!
20210514_053525.jpg

DAY 14
POP
Blondie - Parallel Lines
I like this theme 😄 I originally considered going with a more contemporary choice but decided to fall back on a classic instead! I think this is considered "pop" but some might classify it more as "new wave", idk
View attachment 99292

It’s catchy, I can sing along to it and it did well in the charts back when it came out. It’s pop!

Day 13: Unlucky For Some

Play me an album that you think of as unlucky or that was made in unlucky circumstances or maybe even by unlucky people

Blur - 13
View attachment 99189

According to some nerdy Blur fanboy site:

For this album, Damon Albarn was heavily inspired by the recent split-up with his long-term girlfriend, Justine Frischmann.”

Being unlucky in love would qualify I suppose. Though I really just picked the album because the title is 13 and the coffee hasn’t yet made it’s way to portion of the brain that inspires creative thought. Also, for those curious, the same nerdy Blur fanboy site also points out that:

“The album title comes from Damon's 13 studio where the album was partly recorded. Other titles thought of for the album were Blue and When You're Walking Backwards To Hell, No One Can See You, Only God.”

So there you have it.

Hahahaha! Blur fan alert. Record unlucky because Damon split up with Justine and it’s all mopey. Attached video of the only song Graham wrote on his own for the album 😂

Day 13: Unlucky For Some?

Released 3 weeks after Elvis died, the album sold out and then was gone from the shelves. RCA put all resources in repressing Elvis records...no promotion or any represses even with positive reviews.

Iggy Pop ‎– Lust For Life
Virgin ‎– B0026275-01, 1977/2017

Cut by Ian Sefchick

ePKaau.jpg

EIhB75.jpg

Day 13: Unlucky For Some

Nic Hessler - Soft Connections

42F81618-D586-49A9-95B2-C7D18A5977D2.jpeg

Nic Hessler was just 14 years old when he was making music and released a couple singles. He was considered an artist to watch and was signed to Captured Tracks to release his debut, but he became partially paralyzed from Guillain Barre syndrome and had to put his music on hold for four years. When this record finally was released, it pretty much went unnoticed. It’s a shame because it’s such a nice album

Yeah, I was gonna post “Tender” but I just love that “Coffee & TV” milk guy, I had to go that route.
View attachment 99318
Speaking of “Tender,” this is a really fun clip if you’ve never seen it. I know some people can’t stand him, but you have to give it to Jimmy Fallon for taking advantage of his job and doing things that most people dream of. Like playing and singing along with Blur:

Speaking of “Tender,” this is a really fun clip if you’ve never seen it. I know some people can’t stand him, but you have to give it to Jimmy Fallon for taking advantage of his job and doing things that most people dream of. Like playing and singing along with Blur:

I am not a huge fan of Fallon but his slightly self-indulgent music inclusion isn’t the reason. Conan O’Brien and Stephen Colbert also have geeked out and played guitar and/or sang with some of their music idols as well. I always enjoy performances like this because you can see the utter joy on Fallon’s face throughout the performance.

you have to give it to Jimmy Fallon for taking advantage of his job and doing things that most people dream of

I think you just summed up his career- he's basically a megafan of comedy and music that's been getting paid to geek out about meeting and hanging out with people much more talented than him... even on SNL, he was more likely to break character and laugh than to cause the audience to laugh.

Day 14: Pop

It’s another Friday! It’s party time! Play me some pop bangers. Bonus points for an accompanying selfie of you partaking in your favourite Friday night tipple!

Jessie Ware - Devotion

A sophisticated pop debut that's perfect for listening to while I grade student work on the couch.

20210514_110846.jpg

Also, since blue skin doesn't show up too well in selfies, I will instead give you a photo of some random guy on the internet drinking my daily caffeine delivery system of choice- yerba mate:

barack-obama-drinking-yerba-mate.jpg

Day 14: Pop - It’s another Friday! It’s party time! Play me some pop bangers. Bonus points for an accompanying selfie of you partaking in your favourite Friday night tipple!

One of those bands that cross all generations in my house. I think they're great, so do my kids. It's only 11am here, so it's a little early for a friday night tipple, but this Modern Times Mythic Worlds Hazy IPA will definitely be gone by the time the day is done. I'd imagine a glass of Tullamore Dew will follow it up.

Glass Animals ~ Dreamland

1621016528714.png

Day 14: Pop

It’s another Friday! It’s party time! Play me some pop bangers. Bonus points for an accompanying selfie of you partaking in your favourite Friday night tipple!

You damn kids and you lingo. Bangers, ballers, whatever. Just wanted an excuse to play this 45 because it is so damn fun.

Teenage Fanclub - Free Again b/w Bad Seed (Alex Chilton and Beat Happening Covers)
The 45 will be over by the time I go back downstairs for a beer
3C2DF63E-0042-4323-BCC2-56FFE79EE6FF.jpeg

I'm going to be out of town and away from the turntable until Tuesday night, so everyone use the 5G brain chip the lizard people put in your vaccines to telepathically read my mind so you know what records not to play while I am away.

Well being fully vaccinated you can used your increased personal 5G connectivity to send us a list of albums not to play?

Back