May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 14: Popunk

It’s another Friday! It’s party time! Play me some punk bangers. Bonus points for an accompanying selfie of you partaking in your favourite Friday night tipple!

Changed the theme a little, hope you don't mind :)

X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

With a vodka martini.

PXL_20210515_003328018.jpg
PXL_20210515_003320612.jpg

Day 15: Hungover
So we got far too drunk listening to those bangers last night. Play some music to sooth the sore head and tortured soul.

Even though they can rock as hard as anyone, YLT can also rock softer than most everyone...

Yo La Tengo - There's A Riot Going On

20210514_222501.jpg

Last edited:
Day 14: Pop

Twin Sister - In Heaven (2011, Domino)

PXL_20210515_062216796.jpg
I went to my discogs to see what was under the pop genre. I don't know if Twin Sister is pop or not, but...it's not NOT pop.

I went to college with Gabe the bass player so I saw a bunch of them there and afterwards in their early days. Always really liked 'em and they were swell folks as well. Some very wonderful super sweaty shows at Glasslands and other venues in Brooklyn in the halcyon DIY venue heydays of not that long ago. Few if any of them remotely sober.

Drinking yet another Peanut butter milk Stout because I love this stuff. I'm not sorry either! 🤠

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports

20210515_075625.jpg

I do not miss hangovers. The day after my Covid jab last weekend felt like a full-body hangover and reminded me just how much I don't miss 'em! Still love me some slow soothing mellow mornings though...

Also, Happy Birthday Brian.

So we got far too drunk listening to those bangers last night. Play some music to sooth the sore head and tortured soul

Bonny Doon - Bonny Doon
7CC2437C-8E4F-451D-9FC1-0C19184247B1.jpeg

I was completely unfamiliar with this group until I saw them open for Waxahatchee a couple years ago. They have this lazy Lo-Fi chill vibe that speaks to me. They only have a couple studio albums but both are absolute winners. They have become one of my “go to” bands to throw on when I am not sure what to play.

Day 13: Unlucky For Some

Play me an album that you think of as unlucky or that was made in unlucky circumstances or maybe even by unlucky people.

Dan Klein (lead singer) passed from ALS not long after the recording of this record. An awful disease and another awful story born of it.

20210515_172004.jpg

Day 15 - Hungover

Played this one this morning (with just a shadow of a hangover). Very nice ambient jazz LP from the great Joseph Shabason. You might not know him but you’ve probably heard him - type his name into Discogs and I bet a green dot or two appears (Kaputt and Lost in the Dream the common culprits).

6ACD526D-6D7A-4900-927A-C12E86C52682.jpeg

Loma - Don't Shy Away

I've never been hungover, so I'm gonna assume from tv and movies that I should play something chill.

20201114_152116_hdr-jpg.74888

Back