May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 23: Food - So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

Orchestra Baobab - Pirates Choice

My sister-in-law and neice gifted this to us because it was one of their favorite albums to put on when in the kitchen, and it's a staple for us now too!

Day 23: Food
So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

Sorry. Couldn't resist...

ZZ Top - Eliminator

View attachment 100272

View attachment 100271

I see your TV Dinner and raise you a Crap Kraft Dinner...

Hot Chip "Coming On Strong" (2004 Moshi Moshi Records; original indie pressing with silk screened cover)

All the people I love are drunk
All the people that I think I am are drunk
All you have left is one Kraft dinner
That I brought back for you last summer

IMG_1493.JPG

1621777938230.png

(A look back at Sundays in undergrad)

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds from Another Planet

A food-themed name for the music, plus a photo of my recent slow-cooked pork and veggie stir fry with udon noodles.

20210523_093509.jpg

20210516_172935.jpg

Kid Koala - 12 bit Blues

20210523_130127.jpg

I've cooked to this album pretty extensively, both professionally and at home. Streaming mostly until my wife spent a pretty ridiculous sum on this copy as a Father's Day gift last year.

Planning take-out for dinner this evening, but I did make cookies!

20210523_130242.jpg

[edit: typo]

So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions

Chef Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
2510422A-5D27-47DB-B831-26F3D2264B53.jpegI needed a Chef to serve up some flavor. Foodwise I made myself some fried rice with shrimp and broccoli served with an ice cold Miller High Life.
3AF57B5E-AEA9-4B88-86B8-5661A2E54DAC.jpeg
And some “Ice cream” for dessert…

11C3CAAC-ACA8-4E2C-80AC-C5E3ACEEDA16.jpeg

Day 21 - Friday Night Sunday Morning Soul

Robert Flack - First Take (1969, Atlantic)

PXL_20210523_142957532.jpg

This was this AM, it's now very late in the PM here cause I had to work all day and didn't get to post it. It was a very nice spin over coffee though. Beat up old copy but still a great album.

Day 22: Ugly Duckling

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People (2002, Arts and Crafts)

PXL_20210524_061417837.jpg

I struggled with the category, but ended up here.

Broken Social Scene put out 'Feel Good Lost' before this one, and I absolutely love that album (it was a go to sleep time album for a long stretch). That said, it always felt like a different chapter than their other albums that followed with the BSS name.

This album is such a fantastic ride. I lived in Toronto briefly in the early 2000s. I remember getting the CD right when it came out, and just 30 seconds into the second track, I knew they had made something real special.

I swear there's a live version out there in mp3 land I used to have of Feist doing Lovers Spit, different from the one she did later on under her name. That was always my favorite version of that song.

Edit..this is the version I was thinking of. Not live. Beehives version!

Last edited:
Day 24: Bob Dylan’s Birthday
Bob is 79. Play something by him or something you think he’d like.

Johnny Thunders " So Alone" (1978 Warner; 2014 Drastic Plastic KPG remaster)

Bob Dylan and punk might not seem like the most natural of bedfellows but it would seem that there is a lot of mutual respect between Dylan and many punk musicians and bands. The band on Down In The Groove’s “Sally Sue Brown” includes both the Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones on guitar and The Clash’s Paul Simonson on bass. The one song Dylan said he wished he written was Johnny Thunders “You Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory”.

IMG_1494.JPG

Day 24: Bob Dylan’s Birthday

Bob is 79. Play something by him or something you think he’d like.

Laura Marling - Semper Femina

I have no clue if he'd actually like it, but I'd hope that craft would recognize craft.

20210112_195613-jpg.83572

Day 22 - Ugly Duckling

I can't say I've heard Warren Zevon's debut album, but according to Wikiepedia he describes it as being released "to the sound of one hand clapping".

He figured things out by the time this was released though.

Warren Zevon ~ Excitable Boy

1621869372886.png

Day 23: Food - So Sunday is all about having a big Sunday meal, traditionally a roast over here, surrounded by family. Play me some music that you love to cook to. Bonus points for a picture of your culinary inventions!

Given we made homemade Pizza last night (sorry, we ate the evidence) this seems appropriate. Except maybe for "The Night G.G. Allin Came to Town", which is definitely not something to relate to food in any way.

Drive~By Truckers ~ Pizza Deliverance

1621871035154.png

Back