May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 22: Ugly Duckling

So 22 is 2 ducks in bingo calling. We all know the tale of the ugly duckling. Play an album by an artist that grew into something special after a less than auspicious start.

It's not a bad album but, I don't think many people would have guessed what an incredible band they'd turn out to be based on their debut.

2D2D0123-5AF2-461E-91F6-B505E8B29B32.jpeg

David Bowie - ChangesOne (released in the UK 45yrs ago yesterday)

Yup, back to Bowie well again. I am taking today’s challenge as “the first album sucked but they got better over time.” I would definitely toss David Bowie into this category. Not only is David Bowie (1967) a rather poor album, I would even say that despite several great songs on the next 2 records, he does not make his first great album until Hunky Dory (album #4).
DEEB6FE4-0D49-4798-A58C-A1415CDF73CF.jpeg

So 22 is 2 ducks in bingo calling. We all know the tale of the ugly duckling. Play an album by an artist that grew into something special after a less than auspicious start.

Put simply, Lou Reed's first solo LP is a misguided mess - rehashed VU songs alongside new tunes performed with mismatched musicians and heavy-handed production. The LP cover actually sums it up nicely.

He bounced back. He really, really bounced back.

The next record - Transformer. The next one - Rock N Roll Animal. Two of Lou's best.

Lou Reed - S/T

20210521_234505.jpg

Recorded when they were still teenagers in boarding school, this is pretty much a manufactured album. String and horn arraignments were added by the producer.

The album didn't sell...the artist name and album title made most stores stock it in the religious section.

I actually don't mind it. It's not the Genesis that came in the next few years, but you can hear bits there.

Genesis ‎– From Genesis To Revelation
Varèse Sarabande ‎– 302 066 895 1, 1969/2014

4GqWcS.jpg

pabaeT.jpg

Day 22: Ugly Duckling - So 22 is 2 ducks in bingo calling. We all know the tale of the ugly duckling. Play an album by an artist that grew into something special after a less than auspicious start

Anderson .Paak - Malibu

His early work as Breezy Lovejoy didn't really move the needle much, but with Venice he took a step up and with Malibu and even larger step into greatness. .Paak is everywhere and can do no wrong at this point haha

Day 22 - Ugly Duckling

BTS’s first LP Ultimate Alternative Wavers is probably more known for the goofy “awkward family photos” album art than the music itself. Here, things started to get really interesting. Then the next two LPs are among the best guitar rock albums ever.

AEFC0CA0-FB7E-4C73-9FC1-53BFD0EFB774.jpeg

Prince - Sign "O" The Times

20210522_085328.jpg

He had the contract and creative control right out the gate, but For You was not truly indicative of the onslaught of awesome Prince would release upon the world in the 80s, having seemingly taken the can-do-no-wrong baton from Stevie Wonder's 70s run. Obviously by the time he put this album out Prince had already cemented himself as one of the all-time greats.

LCD Soundsystem "Sound Of Silver" (2007 DFA records)

James Murphy played in several bands and stayed in obscurity until he stated doing the exact opposite of losing his edge when he turned 33. The first LCD Soundsystem record was then released when he was 35. Going with the 2nd LCD Soundsystem record, which showed this band had some staying power beyond the dance-punk wave.

IMG_1492.JPG

LCD Soundsystem "Sound Of Silver" (2007 DFA records)

James Murphy played in several bands and stayed in obscurity until he stated doing the exact opposite of losing his edge when he turned 33. The first LCD Soundsystem record was then released when he was 35. Going with the 2nd LCD Soundsystem record, which showed this band had some staying power beyond the dance-punk wave.

View attachment 100216

I forgot how great this pressing is. Quiet, dynamic, punchy, great separation. Looks like RTI based on the matrix.

Day 21: Friday Night Saturday Morning Soul

Play me some smooth soul sounds to soundtrack my Saturday morning

Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
6D1DC48E-E3E0-4E15-8602-41F95914B7F9.jpeg

I didn’t feel like doing too much yesterday following my 2nd dose of Pfizer the evening before. I spent most of the day sleeping in my La-Z-Boy watching reruns of American Pickers and the 1991 WWF Royal Rumble (The Ultimate Warrior was robbed!). Good news! I feel pretty good today and decided to keep my spirits up with some New Jack Swing to kick off the final day of my work week.

Last edited:

So 22 is 2 ducks in bingo calling. We all know the tale of the ugly duckling. Play an album by an artist that grew into something special after a less than auspicious start

The Beach Boys - Surfin’ Safari
F0E1DB34-0732-4E0B-9A63-2EA097005BF2.jpeg

Surfin’ Safari is perfectly respectable debut LP for a group of young Californian’s diving head first into the Surf Rock craze of the early 1960s. It is surprising that only a few short years later they’d created the greatest Pop masterpiece in Rock history.

Last edited:
Day 22 - Ugly Duckling

BTS’s first LP Ultimate Alternative Wavers is probably more known for the goofy “awkward family photos” album art than the music itself. Here, things started to get really interesting. Then the next two LPs are among the best guitar rock albums ever.
Nowhere Nothing Fuckup on the first album is an amazing song, but the rest is rather disappointing.

U.S. Girls - Half Free

On her first couple outings, the emphasis was so strongly on the experimental side of experimental pop that the results can feel a big distant and cold. Once she emphasized the pop side more, while keeping the experimental flavor, her work really took off.

20200209_100734-jpg.32191

I wouldn't say inauspicious but I mean, she put out so many fantastic albums after this.

Joni.jpeg

Back