May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Catch up time..
Day 16: Classical

Nils Frahm - Solo (2015, Erased Tapes)
PXL_20210521_060825004.jpg
Such a wonderful composer. I enjoy his other work a ton as well, but there is something so special and intimate about this album. Like a little private concert.

Hearing the movement of the pedals, the felt of the hammers hitting the strings. Instead of getting the sense I'm listening to him play in the room, I feel like he's tucked me into the piano because its the best way to communicate what he needs to say.

Day 21: Friday Night Soul - Play me some smooth soul sounds to soundtrack my Friday night.

Durand Jones & the Indications - Live Vol. 1

Absolutely love this live album from Durand and the gang; the perfect soundtrack to a Friday night! Can't wait for the new album this summer!

Day 21: Friday Night Soul

It's only early Friday morning, but that's still a good time for soul.

I really should buy a copy of What's Going On. I had a copy at some point, but it wasn't in great shape and was purged in one of my moves.

Marvin Gaye ‎– Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits
Tamla ‎– T6-348S1, 1976

Pressed at Monarch

FrITXz.jpg

CoxgXw.jpg

Day 18: N&G AoTM
As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today.

W.H. Lung "Incidental Music" (2019 Melodic)

I've enjoyed and purchased many of the N&G ROTM selections. This album was Volume 16 in October 2020 as selected by @ByersVinyl. It surprised me by both being a record I had never heard and by being so on point with my tastes. "Incidental Music" is a synth-pop album with motorik beats that owes a clear debt to the likes of Factory Records. Add to that a vocal delivery that is at times reminiscent of David Byrne. Love it! As an added bonus, the 2x45 rpm pressing for this is fantastic.

View attachment 99733

Such wise words !!!

Day 17: Irish Tunes

Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds of the Western World

PXL_20210521_065336477.jpg
Their third full length, and last of the original trio lineup. I picked up the three Decca albums when LITA reissued them years ago, but didn't spend much time with them aside from a listen or two. It's good to finally go back and give this a closer listen. It kicks ass!!

PXL_20210521_071018842.jpg
The presentation and additional materials and liner notes in these releases are great and shed so much insight on their early days I knew so little about. For instance I didn't know Eric Bell left mid set / mid tour when he quit. Crazy.

Also amazing bands were allowed so much time to develop back in the day. In today's industry we likely never would've gotten to what (at least us North Americans) know as the 'classic' Thin Lizzy sound.

Day 18: N&G AoTM

Tortoise - TNT (1998, Thrill Jockey - 2019 Reissue)

PXL_20210521_195347540.MP.jpg
I thankfully had one of the the AoTM despite being a fresh faced N&G'er, and as well it's definitely in the top tier of influential albums in my musical life.

Somewhere just after the end of high school, when I was deep in the super rad phase of 'Phish and other jambands are the only music worth listening to!!' a gal I had a big ol' crush on made me a mixtape. It had lots of Thrill Jockey, Matador, and other 'indie' stuff. The crush didn't pan out, but so many of the bands on there ended up soundtracking many years of my life.

TNT especially was one of the gateway albums that opened my ears to whole other worlds of music, from jazz, to electronic and whatever else makes up this incredible album. It will forever be my favorite of theirs and was very happy to snag a copy of this last year. It ain't a heavy weight pressing but it sounds really good to me.

Day 19: Family

Play an album that you were introduced to in your youth by your family and that you still love today.

Harry Nilsson - The Point (1972, RCA Victor - 2012 reissue)

PXL_20210522_052750896.jpg
Admittedly I was introduced to this album by way of the cartoon adaptation (Ringo Starr voiced version) which we watched a LOT during my childhood. Later in life I would fall for so much of the rest of Nilsson's work, but this album remains fantastic all around, both for nostalgia and musical/storytelling merit.
I've already started to share this and other Nilsson songs with my own kid.

Day 20: Scottish Tunes

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight (2008, Fat Cat, 2014 Reissue)
PXL_20210522_060529047.jpg

It's been just over three years since Scott Hutchinson left this world. Thought maybe I'd be able to listen to this without having a viceral/crippling emotional reaction. ha! I was wrong. I ain't making it all the way through this one tonight folks. Nope. Side A only.

Day 19: Family

Play an album that you were introduced to in your youth by your family and that you still love today.

I remember finding my uncle's copy of this album in a record stack at my grandma's. The cover immediately caught my eye.

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

37B30A97-B8A9-4F50-AAC4-B9C72D516FD4.jpeg

Back