May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

Day 25 - The Man Who Sold The World
Play a cover song that may be more well know than the original

Wow this was harder than I thought. Lots of examples but most of of what I have has already been played. Since I made this challenge I can cheat on it.

David Bowie - Is It Any Wonder ep - The Man Who Sold The World (Live Eno Mix - 1997)

So I am playing the song that inspired todays prompt, but with a twist. When recorded in 1970, this song went no where even though it is the title track from the album (changed from the original title Metrobolist). It was first a hit for Lulu (#3 in 1973), but the Nirvana version made it even more famous after Cobain’s suicide in 1994.

David rarely did the song live, though did an amazing performance of it on Saturday Night Live in 1979. David took the song back, so to speak, in 1995, totally stripping it down and rebuilding it as a trip-hop song, performing it live on the Outside and Earthling tours. This is the reworked version that stayed in his set for over 5 years before reverting back to the more ‘rock’ version on later tours like Reality.
IMG_1201.jpg

Although I wasn't there / He said I was his friend
A song that Nirvana made famous

I'll go with SRV's version of Come On (Part III)

While Hendrix had a fairly well known version on Electric Ladyland, this is the version that introduced me to Stevie; it was all over the radio when it came out in 1985. It's still my favorite version, not that I've heard them all, there are plenty out there.

Damn, I still miss him...I'm happy that I at least got to see him once.

IMG_1090.JPG

Let's stick with the Nirvana motif...

The original...

Nirvana - Live At The Paramount

View attachment 140383

I thought you were gonna pull out a Sub Pop Singles Club "Love Buzz" 7".

Day 24 - Love You Till Tuesday
I was very lonely till I met you on Sunday / My passion's never-ending and I'll love you till Tuesday
Buck Clayton with His All-Stars – Songs For Swingers
20220525_204325.jpg

featuring "Sunday," written by Ned Miller, Chester Cohn, Jules Stein & Bennie Krueger.

Had I not fallen asleep earlier than planned yesterday I would've been playing "Sunday" on Tuesday which would have been extra nerdily satisfying for this prompt, but I'll have to settle for "Sunday" on a Wednesday instead.

Day 24 - Love You Till Tuesday
I was very lonely till I met you on Sunday / My passion's never-ending and I'll love you till Tuesday
Play a song that mentions a day of the week
sorry stock photo of this one as the camera on my phone was playing up
track 2 Give You Till Monday
712mLBysVlL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Geordie – Hope You Like It​

Label:Demon Records – DEMREC542
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Silver
Released:2019
Genre:Rock
Style:Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock

Day 23 - Seven
I got seven days to live my life / Or seven ways to die
Play an artists 7th album

Took a minute of hitting the random button to find a band that had a decent 7th album I wanted to hear.

Jethro Tull – WarChild (The 40th Anniversary Edition)
Chrysalis – 2564621625, 1974/2014

Steven Wilson Stereo mix

Pressed at Record Industry

aIXa5y.jpg

LtmY7K.jpg

It may not have charted as high as the original, but Pulp Fiction made it and the original very popular for a while.

The Urge Overkill – Stull EP
Touch And Go – TG86, 1992

10" EP on grey marbled vinyl

Cut by Jack Skinner at KDisc
Pressed at Rainbo

SNNrIu.jpg

HNOCNg.jpg

I like both versions equally.

Day 26 - Bring Me the Disco King
Killing time in the seventies
A song about getting rid of your past.
Play something from the 1970s

Carole King - Tapestry

2BAC6206-A682-45A7-98AA-2E5785BC0F05.jpeg

This album is just full of hits from the 70's that I grew up hearing on road trips with my mom. And until I bought the album recently I had no idea most of them were by Carole King! And her collaboration with James Taylor on this album was a lovely surprise.

Day 26: Bring Me the Disco King
Killing time in the seventies
A song about getting rid of your past.
Play something from the 1970s

David Bowie - Hunky Dory
B1996A49-A488-4245-B173-4AD24A4C822B.jpeg
2FDF6BED-ED52-4369-A112-3C5D04FC6BB1.jpeg

This is an original cassette of David Bowie’s Honky Dory from 1971. It sounds like garbage mostly but it does still play (if you don’t mind some occasional moments of distortion). I usually just listen to vinyl but figured I would keep it completely 1970s for today. Considering it’s an over 50 years old cassette tape I am surprised it still plays at all.

Back