May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

I keep hoping to find a Japanese pressing to test out as I have heard they are quite good.

I got the japanese pressing of Eat To The Beat, but that's pretty much the only japanese pressing I really don't like so far. It's all highs and has a really anemic bass. I think it's because they squeezed-in an extra track from Parallel Lines on each side (Heart of Glass and Sunday Girl). Without mentioning that it messes up with the proper flow of the original album.

Day 24 - Love You Till Tuesday
I was very lonely till I met you on Sunday / My passion's never-ending and I'll love you till Tuesday
Play a song that mentions a day of the week

I been running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...

The Clash - Sandinista!

20220203_233548.jpg

Day 25 - The Man Who Sold The World
Although I wasn't there / He said I was his friend
A song that Nirvana made famous
Play a cover song that may be more well know than the original

RUN DMC RAISING HELL (1986 Profile Records; 2019 club reissue)
Their version of Walk This Way has I think developed into becoming more well-known than Aerosmith's original. In fact, Steven Tyler's presence in the song and in the video is single-handedly responsible for reviving the at-the-time flagging career of Aerosmith.

IMG_2566.JPG

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth

F676FB9C-D209-41BF-8193-DCB9705D9BE0.jpeg

I'm cheating a bit here because this isn't as popular as the original but it was my introduction to Sturgill when I heard it playing on a jukebox at my favorite burger joint. And it's still my favorite Nirvana cover.

Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

Aretha’s cover of ‘Respect’ is the first thing that I thought of after ‘All Along the Watchtower’.

95A7BF92-EC36-4CFE-AF62-BDD4EC6D2D3D.jpeg

Back