Movies

While personally I don't believe the worth of a movie should be measured by how much it makes, Furiosa's performance at the box office doesn't spell good things for the prospects of Miller returning for another Mad Max installment. I'm thinking the marketing may have done a disservice to this movie, as a lot of the trailers and ads made it seem like it would be another high-octane nonstop thrill ride like Fury Road, when in reality it's a slower, more contemplative character study. I thought it was great to see Miller explore even more of the world he's created with this franchise, but I think a lot of audiences might come away disappointed it doesn't provide that shot of adrenaline that Fury Road did (even though, in my opinion, there's some action scenes in this that rival the finest of that movie).

It's also been extremely disheartening to see the two most common reactions to it underperforming have been "who asked for this?" and "I'll just wait for it to come to streaming." I'm not the type of person that likes to go around complaining about and looking down on the "general audience" - it usually feels really elitist and snobby to me - but I look at comments like this and can't help but feel like we've really lost the plot at some point.
I think we're witnessing the beginning of the end of the modern movie going experience. People say they want practical effects, stunts, and less CGI yet they won't support movies like Furiosa and The Fall Guy that give you exactly that. Yes, I understand both had CGI but they also tried to give people old time movie thrills with the assistance of CGI versus straight up green screen shitfests. I think it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's wrong. We just came off two summers of Top Gun Maverick and Barbie/Oppenheimer blowing out the box office. People went to event movies. Yeah, it's expensive to go to a movie. Yeah you can just wait until it comes out on streaming in less than 60 days. But at some point, we're just going to get CGI and AI shitfests on streaming services because it is no longer feasible to make movies for the theaters.
It's weird: I feel more optimistic about movies and moviegoing than I have in a while. Remember Dune II was pretty huge. And remember Furiosa is a rated-R, offbeat action movie; as much as Fury Road paved the way (ha ha) for Furiosa, the audience is narrow. The high-profile, big-budget releases are getting attention for their inability to pull in profits, but midsize and low-budget features released by entities such as A24 and Neon are doing better than ever.

I'd like to posit we're already past a certain breaking point, and what we're seeing now is the experience/industry settling into a new mode. 5-10 years ago I'd say the problem is studios keep engineering four-quadrant blockbusters which appease everyone but please no one, out of hopes of recouping a $150-200 budget. Covid closures and superhero fatigue basically demolished this model. While streaming services have been eating the mid and low budget market's lunch by scooping up movies and dumping them on their services, they're starting to come around to the fact that a theatrical release window is money on the table.

I'm noticing the indie and foreign market picking up somewhat, reflected both in box office and awards success; I think we're moving away from the movies being a family outing where you sink $100 into tickets and concessions, but individuals or small groups seeing smaller, more specifically-targeted movies is on the rise. Cineplexes are becoming untenable to run, but smaller screens where curated selections and thoughtful snacks are able to draw in loyal movie freaks.

eta: I wonder how much Barbenheimer is indicative of "narrower" (as narrowly aimed as two mainstream corporate blockbusters could be) films winning out; these movies were highly anticipated more for the artists making them than the spectacle being put before us, and they ostensibly fit into convenient demographic categories. For the first time in a while an opening weekend wasn't about the movie opening vs. the alternatives riding its wake, there was an "equal" choice put before us: see one, the other, or see 'em both. People went to Barbie dressed up in pink as a personal expression, and not just for the Thursday night previews. Earlier today on his insta story Hanif Abdurriqib mentioned enjoying writing about live music more than recorded music because the act of witnessing was an important part of the experience; I think moviegoing will always have that appeal to a certain set, and I have some optimism that not only will there always be a market for that, the market will recognize and lean into how witnessing communally is why we go to the movies rather than stay home.

Last edited:
Regal has a similar program.
All we have here is AMC now, unfortunately. But they have a program like that too. It's only $21 a month and you can see 3 movies a week. It's a wild deal and pays for itself incredibly easily. It's also pushed me to go to the theater more this year.

All we have here is AMC now, unfortunately. But they have a program like that too. It's only $21 a month and you can see 3 movies a week. It's a wild deal and pays for itself incredibly easily. It's also pushed me to go to the theater more this year.
I would do this but the Sacramento area is the first place I've lived in California where we have no AMCs.

IMG_7817.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
GoldenEye
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
Tomorrow Never Dies
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
The Living Daylights
For Your Eyes Only
The Man With The Golden Gun
Licence To Kill
Diamonds Are Forever
A View To A Kill
Octopussy

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
Tina Turner - "GoldenEye"
Gladys Knight - "License To Kill"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Shirley Bassey - "Moonraker"
Sheryl Crow - "Tomorrow Never Dies"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"
a-ha - "The Living Daylights"

View attachment 204353

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
GoldenEye
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
Tomorrow Never Dies
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
The Living Daylights
For Your Eyes Only
The Man With The Golden Gun
Licence To Kill
Diamonds Are Forever
A View To A Kill
Octopussy

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
Tina Turner - "GoldenEye"
Gladys Knight - "License To Kill"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Shirley Bassey - "Moonraker"
Sheryl Crow - "Tomorrow Never Dies"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"
a-ha - "The Living Daylights"
I think this one is pretty underrated, generally. Michelle Yeoh and Jonathan Pryce make it.

The scene in the barber shop when it all clicks for Herman is just beautifully done. Wes really has a knack for those human elements in his movies. The little moments, typically non-verbal, that gives the movie a lot of heart.

i’ve traveled a bit these last few weeks and when i’m flying i usually stream movies i’ve downloaded to my wifi hard drive on to my ipad, but i could not get them to connect this time for some reason, so i was relegated to the choices offered by delta on their in flight seatback screen.

so i took the opportunity to watch zone of interest, oppenheimer, chinatown, and cool hand luke- all movies i’d never seen. all great, and i probably enjoyed the two older classics the most.

zone of interest i’ll probably want to watch again as there was a lot of flight announcement pauses/distractions and i probably couldn’t appreciate the sound as much with the plane noise seeping in. but what a dichotomy.

ideally i would have seen oppenheimer on a big screen but since this movie was really carried by the story and acting i don’t think i would feel any stronger about it if i had. just great all around.

chinatown was amazing, i’m a sucker for noir. so was cool hand luke, even my partner got sucked into that one- she picked up on the religious themes almost right away. i’m glad i finally crossed these off my ‘want to watch’ list.

i’ve traveled a bit these last few weeks and when i’m flying i usually stream movies i’ve downloaded to my wifi hard drive on to my ipad, but i could not get them to connect this time for some reason, so i was relegated to the choices offered by delta on their in flight seatback screen.

so i took the opportunity to watch zone of interest, oppenheimer, chinatown, and cool hand luke- all movies i’d never seen. all great, and i probably enjoyed the two older classics the most.

zone of interest i’ll probably want to watch again as there was a lot of flight announcement pauses/distractions and i probably couldn’t appreciate the sound as much with the plane noise seeping in. but what a dichotomy.

ideally i would have seen oppenheimer on a big screen but since this movie was really carried by the story and acting i don’t think i would feel any stronger about it if i had. just great all around.

chinatown was amazing, i’m a sucker for noir. so was cool hand luke, even my partner got sucked into that one- she picked up on the religious themes almost right away. i’m glad i finally crossed these off my ‘want to watch’ list.
How many hard-boiled eggs could you eat in an hour?

Haven't seen these in a while. Still find Elizabeth and Will (especially Will) a bit annoying which i think will increase in the sequels lol

View attachment 204706

It's a good thing they realized they had made a good thing with this movie and didn't turn it into a bunch of increasingly bloated sequels with diminishing returns.

So excited to finally get to watch this one!!!
Godzilla_Minus_One_Poster.jpeg

Back