Movies

Best villain not named Philip Seymour Hoffman?
I love PSH in everything he did except this role. I just could not buy him as a villain. I associated him too strongly with other roles to buy his character. Miss him tho.

Edit: I could probably have seen him pulling off a good Penguin.

Locking and loading your arms while growing a beard somehow is the trillest thing I’ve ever seen

View attachment 204831
Me when I see the word trillest.
images

Best villain not named Philip Seymour Hoffman?
as an actor or as a character?
cause the lane guy was pretty good (acting), but i kept forgetting who the bad guy was. but i think,walker/lark surprisingly. that said, we'll see whatgabriel ends up doing. also i really liked paris. ihope she survives. she doesn't die does she? i watched this less than 24 hours ago and cannot remember.
also, not a main villain but i think dr delbruuk was GREAT in the 2-3 minutes he was on screen. he stays in my mind at least. a lot longer than lane ever did.

Which do you think is best? Still the first one for me.
i think it might be rogue nation. with fallout a close second.

my favorite thing in the first one is the INSANE amount of fucking water that comes out that lobster tank. i laugh so hard.

in II, that last motorcycle & fight sequence had SO MANY slow motion shots of the same action from multiple angles, it was borderline camp, to me.

in III, i'm pretty sure tom cruise started setting quotas for himself of how much and many running scenes he wants to do. i enjoyed the scene in italy where their van fake breaks down. i wanted more bogdan. LOVED bogdan i think bogdan would've gone on to do other great things.

ghost protocol is the most fantastical, but it lets pegg shine. something about jeremy renner makes me want to fucking punch him in the face, and i feel bad about that, but i can't help it (i have the same physical reaction to andrew garfield and eddie redmayne, but i don't feel guilty about wanting to punch andrew garfield and i'm fine with it). but like too many cooks spoil ... idk, food, this suffers a bit from too many villains. tom cruise raised his quota for this one.

rogue nation got off to an immediate bad start when the record store girl handed the white paper-enveloped record to him, which infuriates me on multiple levels. the first is obvious: paper. the second, is that it'd still be in a jacket! cause who just leaves a record in an inner sleeve sitting around. you don't transport or carry it like that. and she just picks it up like it was lying flat on the counter next to the register. the other reason it annoys me (minutiae territory). if you're a secret spy agency, wouldn't you wanna disguise it? put it in a sleeve of some kind? you just gonna leave those runouts on display for all to see? and if that thing gets scratched? no movie. it just bothered me.
but after that i think it's great and fun. loved the opera house stuff. not overly convoluted but still with a healthy amount of twists and turns. lot of good bits. i laughed a lot bc pegg and everything afterethan dying. i want to say he and cruise have good chemistry, but they are hardly ever actually together so who knows.
and that office scene, with ilsa in the yellow dress, when she first takes that dude down with her (it's in he trailer, so not a spoiler) i love rebecca ferguson so much (like, who knew i'd love silo??) and i would pay good money for her to break my neck with her thighs. tom cruise raised his quota for this one.

fallout. first off, lol wolf blitzer. a LOT happens in this but i think they handle it well. hospital scene with delbruuk was great. angela basset having this role is so weird. cause it's so small?? i just wanna see angela basset do angela basset things, not on a videoconference (also - she's not head of the cia in dead reckoning anymore, right? cause in that first scene, the green smoke one, her picture is on the wall like she's president an if everyone from military intelligence was in there then??). henry cavil got off to a rough start, like his whole first scene before they jump out the plane was very eye-roll. but he got better as the it went on, which is weird. white widow character coulda been better. not to knock vanessa kirby but she was very one-note, whether that be the direction, writing or her idk. knife skills were cool. also i like how they're letting ethan be old and not just autowinning every fight, and how confused he gets when he punches someone and it doesn't go how he wanted. but the line "i kill women and children with smallpox" was so cringey, like, yeah that's a horrible thing, but it doesn't sound as badass as the moment calls for. idk if that was a choice. there were a lot of weird choices. but still lots of fun. apparently no one drives in france, it's just cops. but i still love the chase sequences. i'm a sucker for cars going fast.
tom cruise quadrupled his running quota for this. easily

dead reckoning. lot of good stuff - but the whole entity thing? idk. we'll see. alsoif they don't bring rebecca ferguson back, i don't know what i'll do but i probably won't like the movie very much. her stab wound wasn't through her heart. i think she's secret alive. like they planned it because gabriel said it would happen so they choreographed it or something. or maybe it was just too conflicting with dune. who knows. adhd: the more i think about it the more i think parís died? nice to have kittrisge back. and i will always love seeing shea whigham
tom reset his running quota to MI levels.

damn i wrote too much

I love PSH in everything he did except this role. I just could not buy him as a villain. I associated him too strongly with other roles to buy his character. Miss him tho.

Edit: I could probably have seen him pulling off a good Penguin.
i totally buy him as a villain but the part was written shit. one dimensional character. and i HATE how they used keri russel. i fucking love keri russel. PSH's character and the parts where he was funniest is whenhe was ethani love him in everything. even twister.
Locking and loading your arms while growing a beard somehow is the trillest thing I’ve ever seen

View attachment 204831
will miss him as geralt ugh. so hot.

edit to add: @AndySlash why not? (and because there are only so many movies my mom and i can agree on that are also not awkward to watch together)

WHY CANT SPOILERS STAY IN LINE nevermind! figured it out

Last edited:
Oof dah. Hefty couple of religious zealotry movies today with Kevin Smith's Red State and the newer Australian exorcism movie Godless.

Red State yo-yos so hard between riveting and mind-boggling. What I liked I loved about it, but the detracting elements left me dissatisfied overall.

Godless: The Eastfield Exorcism on the other hand is a solid surprise, especially for being packaged among "Tubi Originals." If you like religious trauma/exorcism flicks, this is sure to sate typical expectations while also exceeding the category's exploitative trappings. Extra recommend if you aren't afraid of that sinking gut feeling.

hot take, M:I2 is stupid, but it’s more fun to watch than III, which is grim and nasty in a way that hasn’t really aged well.

agree but also, explain
I just found MI:3 kind of unpleasant to watch. It's aggressively grim and gritty and feels a little too eager to kill people in gnarly ways (the aforementioned Keri Russell sequence). The first movie is a dazzling and twisty De Palma that's borderline non-sensical but a ton of fun to watch. The second movie is a bad John Woo film, but has moments of kineticism, and is so deadly silly that I still found myself having a good time. MI:III is just...very J.J. Abrams. Serviceably directed but somehow feels like a high-budget TV episode. PSH is the highlight of the film for me, but I just generally felt kind of icky watching it.

I just found MI:3 kind of unpleasant to watch. It's aggressively grim and gritty and feels a little too eager to kill people in gnarly ways (the aforementioned Keri Russell sequence). The first movie is a dazzling and twisty De Palma that's borderline non-sensical but a ton of fun to watch. The second movie is a bad John Woo film, but has moments of kineticism, and is so deadly silly that I still found myself having a good time. MI:III is just...very J.J. Abrams. Serviceably directed but somehow feels like a high-budget TV episode. PSH is the highlight of the film for me, but I just generally felt kind of icky watching it.
Ain't it the truth that bad John Woo is still way more fun to watch than JJ Abrams trash tv sensibilities in like 95% of what he does.

Yep. All that man wants to do is provide you some fun action entertainment when you go to the theater. Hangs from an airplane, climbs the world's tallest building, learns to fly a helicopter, all to make the action more realistic.

The franchise peaks when it becomes a vehicle for Cruise to act out his insane urges. 4-6 are GOAT action thriller material (7 drops off a bit, but still good).
Concur. Brad Bird really unlocked the slick, tense-but-fun stunt adventure template for the series, and McQuarrie has honed it to a fine edge.

Back