Movies

I hate it here. We had the season pass and went regularly. I'm not sure how much we'll go to the movies now. The other options are AMC and Studio Movie Grill, neither of which are enjoyable. I guess if it's something we really want to see and not wait to come out on streaming, we'll go. I feel terrible for all those servers who now are out of a job.

yeah, this sucks. :/ my area lost its lone large format imax theater that could screen 70mm a few years ago, too, which was one of only like 20 in the country. so there really isn't a theater in the cities that i want to see a movie at anymore. despite the messaging, i can't imagine the single alamo theater up here is going to be a priority in reopening. i'd love to be surprised.

Summer movie recommendations? Specifically looking for films that just look and feel like Summer. I’m making a list of my favorites, but also trying to think of ones I haven’t seen. They don’t necessarily even have to take place in summer, but if they have that overall feel or aesthetic, that’s what I’m after.

A few from my list:

Call Me By Your Name
Luca
Moonrise Kingdom
Do The Right Thing
Jaws
Ponyo
Midsommar

Also will be rewatching Challengers as I feel it totally hits that feeling I’m looking for, and I think it’s the most recent example of what I would tag as a summer film.

I was also thinking Before Sunrise! And Florida Project is a perfect call.
Yes! ! I have the Floria Project on my list. I love that one. I also recently watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, and I think they do capture a thing I’m after. Especially the calmness and the locations.

Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Ride Your Wave
Days of Being Wild
Cool Hand Luke
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Also just looked up Ride Your Wave and I think that’s one I’m gonna watch as soon as I can.

Porco Rosso is not at all my favorite Miyazaki but it definitely has that beautiful summery kind of imagery in a lot places.

MV5BYTllNDllODAtOTVkOC00NGYzLWFkMTItZGY2YThlMWM3YWM2L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

My brother and I watch this at the start of every summer.

Summer movie recommendations? Specifically looking for films that just look and feel like Summer. I’m making a list of my favorites, but also trying to think of ones I haven’t seen. They don’t necessarily even have to take place in summer, but if they have that overall feel or aesthetic, that’s what I’m after.

A few from my list:

Call Me By Your Name
Luca
Moonrise Kingdom
Do The Right Thing
Jaws
Ponyo
Midsommar

Also will be rewatching Challengers as I feel it totally hits that feeling I’m looking for, and I think it’s the most recent example of what I would tag as a summer film.
The Sandlot
Summer School
National Lampoon’s Vacation
Summer Rental
The Great Outdoors
Daze & Confused
Everybody Wants Some
American Graffiti
O Brother Where Art Thou
Inherent Vice
The Graduate

The Sandlot
Summer School
National Lampoon’s Vacation
Summer Rental
The Great Outdoors
Daze & Confused
Everybody Wants Some
American Graffiti
O Brother Where Art Thou
Inherent Vice
The Graduate
You could show The Sandlot to an alien and they'll leave the movie thinking they actually had a childhood here.

I weirdly don’t even notice this anymore. The main thing, at least at my Alamo, is that the crowds are WAY more respectful and into the movies. Also the custom pre-roll is great.

The food has gone downhill since Covid but that supposedly due to the corporate overlords cutting back on quality. We loved it because you can go and not worry about texting or talking. The audience definitely was more respectful and understood what was required and acceptable. Yeah, you have to contend with the servers but that's a rare occurrence. We would go early to watch the preshow and get our order in early. That was a way to minimize the servers coming during the movie as much.

There is a hope that the corporate arm will buy out the franchisee and reopen the locations that were profitable because not having a presence in one of the largest metro areas in the US (and the state you started in) doesn't seem good when you're still expanding to other states. Of the 35 locations, 20 are owned by Alamo corporate, 15 are franchises. The corporate office put out a statement that they were looking at ways to reopen the locations. Probably need to get to that before everything gets sold off at auction for pennies on the dollar.

i've also heard of someone getting kicked out of the alamo drafthouse for laughing too much. i'm trying to remember the movie he was watching, but he was genuinely laughing and some guy complained so much, he was asked to leave. it was something that came out in 2022 i think. i wish i could remember. it's like tip of the tongue, some action movie maybe. or something dystopian. i can't remember.

now i'm craving deep fried pickles

A few from my list:

Call Me By Your Name
Luca
Moonrise Kingdom
Do The Right Thing
Jaws
Ponyo
Midsommar

I don't know if they all qualify for what you're looking for but here's a few i only watch during the summer (minus some which has already been suggested):

Rear Window
Spirited Away
Predator/Predator 2/Predators
Seven Samurai
Mad Max: Fury Road
Indiana Jones movies
The Dollars Trilogy
Once Upon A Time In The West
Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
The Darjeeling Limited

The Bridge On The River Kwai
Roman Holiday
Black Hawk Down
Rango
Tremors

Last edited:
Cinema is doomed. I just saw a report on my local news saying that summer box offices are down 28% from last summer and their plan at saving the summer movie season is goofy “collectible” popcorn buckets. No one is going to the movie theater for a popcorn bucket. What do you do with your giant collectible popcorn bucket once the movie is over? That’s gonna take up a lot of cupboard space, not to mention you would have to pop like 6 bags of microwave popcorn to fill it up.

Back