Movies

All things considered, Tom’s kept his head down and done the shit he’s wanted to do these past 15 years, all while staying fairly unproblematic (Scientology be damned). Pound-for-pound, I’d stack his filmography against any of the all time greats. Streep, Hopkins, DDL.

Seemingly everyone he’s worked with has said they’ve loved the guy. Alright, enough flowers for Cruise, someone rip this statement apart.

All things considered, Tom’s kept his head down and done the shit he’s wanted to do these past 15 years, all while staying fairly unproblematic (Scientology be damned). Pound-for-pound, I’d stack his filmography against any of the all time greats. Streep, Hopkins, DDL.

Seemingly everyone he’s worked with has said they’ve loved the guy. Alright, enough flowers for Cruise, someone rip this statement apart.
I mean he's a weirdo, but I've also heard good things about him from his coworkers in the press. His family, not so much, and I'd trust them more. But he has put out some fun as hell movies. I still think Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite dumb fun action movies.

I mean he's a weirdo, but I've also heard good things about him from his coworkers in the press. His family, not so much, and I'd trust them more. But he has put out some fun as hell movies. I still think Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorite dumb fun action movies.
True, this especially apparent with all the stuff going on with Brad Pitt. I think some men are just be outed as being nasty when it comes to the handlings of their families.

And yeah, give me Cruise + Anything to do with time (EoT, Minority Report) and I’m in.

I genuinely think there's no other movie star out there as dedicated to the medium. The man is a completely dedicated soldier of the motion picture.

That audio of him going off on somebody for not taking covid protocols seriously during the production of Top Gun Maverick on how this is reliant on a lot of people's jobs and we have a responsibility to take it seriously AND then refused to let it debut on streaming? Honestly king shit.

New Takashi Miike quietly dropped on Netflix. It's definitely not required viewing, but one can't help but womder what more he could have done if it was a limited miniseries instead of a movie.

Oh, and I was super excited to wake up to the alert that The House That Screamed got added to Plex. (It's been on Tubi for years but their upload is horribly cropped and unwatchable.) Lots to please fans of lavish, gothic boarding school horrors.

The franchise peaks when it becomes a vehicle for Cruise to act out his insane urges. 4-6 are GOAT action thriller material (7 drops off a bit, but still good).
guy loves. to. run.
Yep. All that man wants to do is provide you some fun action entertainment when you go to the theater. Hangs from an airplane, climbs the world's tallest building, learns to fly a helicopter, all to make the action more realistic.
and he wants to do it all himself, too. and i know he likes to do his own stunts, but obviously can't do them all. i wonder how many lawyers are in set for stunt scenes.

he enjoys running too much. it's unnatural!
LOVE edge of tomorrow
True, this especially apparent with all the stuff going on with Brad Pitt. I think some men are just be outed as being nasty when it comes to the handlings of their families.

And yeah, give me Cruise + Anything to do with time (EoT, Minority Report) and I’m in.
what's this now? tell me everything.

speaking of brad pitt, i particularly loved him in dave. i'm aware this is the movies thread but still.

He likes a curry too

Asha’s Birmingham- highly recommend

what's this now? tell me everything.
The TL;DR version. Somehow we got from this in 2016:

To here in 2024:

The TL;DR version. Somehow we got from this in 2016:

To here in 2024:

oh holy shit

Christmas Jones has got to be the worst Bond Girl ever, if not, definitely bottom 3.

It's a bit weird that the Connery/Moore era felt like it lasted forever and then all of a sudden you're on the last Brosnan movie.

IMG_7834.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
GoldenEye
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
Tomorrow Never Dies
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
The Living Daylights
For Your Eyes Only
The Man With The Golden Gun
Licence To Kill
The World Is Not Enough
Diamonds Are Forever
A View To A Kill
Octopussy

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
Tina Turner - "GoldenEye"
Gladys Knight - "License To Kill"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Shirley Bassey - "Moonraker"
Garbage - "The World Is Not Enough"
Sheryl Crow - "Tomorrow Never Dies"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"
a-ha - "The Living Daylights"

Y'all, Horror Press indulged my infatuation with Tetsuo: The Iron Man for Pride Month. 🏳️‍🌈🤖

I hate it here. We had the season pass and went regularly. I'm not sure how much we'll go to the movies now. The other options are AMC and Studio Movie Grill, neither of which are enjoyable. I guess if it's something we really want to see and not wait to come out on streaming, we'll go. I feel terrible for all those servers who now are out of a job.

Last edited:
I hate it here. We had the season pass and went regularly. I'm not sure how much we'll go to the movies now. The other options are AMC and Studio Movie Grill, neither of which are enjoyable. I guess if it's something we really want to see and not wait to come out on streaming, we'll go. I feel terrible for all those servers who now are out of a job.

Ohhhhhh that sucks. I love our Alamo.

Sorry for your loss.

obligatory alamo drafthouse post.
disclaimer: i've been to one once (for triangle of sadness which i've watched multiple times since because ruben östlund is brilliant). the fried pickles were incredible, but i'd prefer to rewatch older films rather than new ones.

and if anyone is not familiar with alamo drafthouse, this sums it up perfectly:

obligatory alamo drafthouse post.
disclaimer: i've been to one once (for triangle of sadness which i've watched multiple times since because ruben östlund is brilliant). the fried pickles were incredible, but i'd prefer to rewatch older films rather than new ones.

and if anyone is not familiar with alamo drafthouse, this sums it up perfectly:

I weirdly don’t even notice this anymore. The main thing, at least at my Alamo, is that the crowds are WAY more respectful and into the movies. Also the custom pre-roll is great.

I weirdly don’t even notice this anymore. The main thing, at least at my Alamo, is that the crowds are WAY more respectful and into the movies. Also the custom pre-roll is great.
The food has gone downhill since Covid but that supposedly due to the corporate overlords cutting back on quality. We loved it because you can go and not worry about texting or talking. The audience definitely was more respectful and understood what was required and acceptable. Yeah, you have to contend with the servers but that's a rare occurrence. We would go early to watch the preshow and get our order in early. That was a way to minimize the servers coming during the movie as much.

There is a hope that the corporate arm will buy out the franchisee and reopen the locations that were profitable because not having a presence in one of the largest metro areas in the US (and the state you started in) doesn't seem good when you're still expanding to other states. Of the 35 locations, 20 are owned by Alamo corporate, 15 are franchises. The corporate office put out a statement that they were looking at ways to reopen the locations. Probably need to get to that before everything gets sold off at auction for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
Back