Movies

I know it gets good reviews but I've never seen Paddington 2 mostly because I didn't really like the first one
Brendan+Gleeson+Paddington+2.PNG

View attachment 214475

This was a lot funnier 15-20 years ago but it's always been my least favorite of the three mainly because Dr. Evil is too animated and some bits that dragged on too long or didn't make sense. Also, the intro song is not particularly good.

Beyonce, though...

075.gif
The first movie is the best and really didn’t catch on until after came it the VHS rental market. The sequel was really good too since it basically just expanded on what made the first movie fun in a blockbuster sort of way. Goldmember has its moments but it also takes things too far, going to the well too many times. The opening with all the cameos is terrible too.

It kinda reminds me of the sequel to Anchorman in that way. And cameos aren’t good replacements for actual jokes.

Seeing Megalopolis this evening. Cannot wait to see how truly insane it is.
the script feels like something FFC jotted down at 2:00am after waking up from a Really Important Dream

Driver, Plaza and LeBoeuf were really going for it, though, gotta hand it to them. and it had a few moments of the visual audacity I associate with Coppola.

kinda dug the whole bread and circuses sequence

the script feels like something FFC jotted down at 2:00am after waking up from a Really Important Dream

Driver, Plaza and LeBoeuf were really going for it, though, gotta hand it to them. and it had a few moments of the visual audacity I associate with Coppola.

kinda dug the whole bread and circuses sequence
Somehow Jon Voight was the highlight for me—especially at the movie's funniest sequence toward the end.

I was glad to see Coppola really commit to his vision—whatever it was—but what a mess. For a film so apparently concerned with a new vision of civilization, it really had absolutely nothing to say about it.

Somehow Jon Voight was the highlight for me—especially at the movie's funniest sequence toward the end.
Our theater was howling.
I was glad to see Coppola really commit to his vision—whatever it was—but what a mess. For a film so apparently concerned with a new vision of civilization, it really had absolutely nothing to say about it.
I think it's remarkable that he got to make it even if it's an insane fiasco. It feels like an expression of something that's been tumbling around in his head for so many years that he forgot how to make it comprehensible to another human being. It's one of the most narratively incoherent things I've ever seen, but it definitely has Stuff in it.

to be clear: I'm glad I saw it, and I'm weirdly still thinking about it, but it's a bizarre object. I also thought Nathalie Emmanuel was kind of awful, and I normally like her fine.

Back