N&G Secret Santa

Annual suggestion that this be limited to actively contributing, engaged members of the community. No offense.

I understand. I’ve actually participated in the last few secret santas at VMP. I just have a heath condition that puts me in the hospital a lot, so I’ve been lurking the N&G forum since the switch. I was actually looking forward to the secret santa, and was happy when I saw that I hadn’t missed the deadline this year. My handle there was smilinggladhand. I’m glad to see a lot of familiar faces made it through the “what would you do with more time” fire

that being said, your comments don’t make the new community seem very inclusive, and adding no offense doesn’t make comments seem any less pointed (It feels like you’re one step away from mentioning a blue OK Computer release).

I apologize for being unable to register when the new forum opened (although I think I signed up with the google form during the transition using the same email). For what it’s worth, I was one of the people last year who’s Santee never acknowledged receipt.

Sorry, I definitely recognize that name!

I know it comes off that way, and I apologize that it reads as subtweeting you personally. I didn't want to make a big deal about it, so I kept it short, but the reasoning I've tried to give in the past is basically that I think the community as a whole should be inclusive and welcoming so that this specific aspect of it becomes a richer experience when newer members join in. My thinking is that it's more fun when we've had a chance to get to know each other a little bit and curate our tastes, or to each other's tastes, in a fun event like this one. It can be a bummer if you get paired up with somebody who doesn't maintain a presence otherwise, just because it loses the personal touch (see: your experience last year).

BTW I think I'm in the minority on making a rule about this -- like I said, I've made the same suggestion for multiple years and it hasn't materialized.

Please don't be sorry for not having been active lately. I understand real life gets in the way, and I hope your health issues are under control. Happy to see another person from the old place here. I apologize for putting you in the hot seat.

Edit: IT'S MY FRIEND'S FAVORITE COLOR
I understand your impulse, I have the same one. But restricting it to only people you 'know well' is the opposite of inclusive. Think of it as a way to gain more connections.

Will some people be left with duds? Sure, but that's the cost of doing business. Overall I think it strengthens and builds our community.

If it were people that only I know well, then sure. All I'm suggesting is ensuring that people have, at minimum, introduced themselves to the community before (or even at the same times as) signing up for Secret Santa.
We've looked at it and that is already the case, so you're fighting straw-men. The exception are people who were on the old place and hadn't yet migrated fully here. Given it's been less than a year we can cut them some slack.

I understand your impulse, I have the same one. But restricting it to only people you 'know well' is the opposite of inclusive. Think of it as a way to gain more connections.

Will some people be left with duds? Sure, but that's the cost of doing business. Overall I think it strengthens and builds our community.
What about pools? Something based on member status, well known, members, and new members? Everyone still gets to participate that way.

My intention isn't to fight at all (I for one am an ally of all strawPEOPLE), and acknowledged already that what I thought was the case turned out not to be. Just explaining/defending the position in general. Again, I accept that it's not part of the rules -- only objecting to the characterization in the abstract.
::deletes @Indymisanthrope's submission::

My intention isn't to fight at all (I for one am an ally of all strawPEOPLE), and acknowledged already that what I thought was the case turned out not to be. Just explaining/defending the position in general. Again, I accept that it's not part of the rules -- only objecting to the characterization in the abstract.

But you're not really listening to me. We HAVE done this. The submission from the user above was flagged and we weren't going to allow them to participate until finding out they were known at the old place.

What about pools? Something based on member status, well known, members, and new members? Everyone still gets to participate that way.

Separate but equal?

Separate but equal?

Maybe we could ask them questions and if they answer correctly, then they can be in the pool?

Q. Is a hot dog a sandwich?
Q. Is it Beck?
Q. Am I going to get my record in the mail before I receive a shipping notification?

But you're not really listening to me. We HAVE done this. The submission from the user above was flagged and we weren't going to allow them to participate until finding out they were known at the old place.

Separate but equal?
This was my initial reaction to @Indymisanthrope ’s post, but @betranslucent ‘s post changed my mind. Possibly the only rule needs to be a participant being banned if they fail to provide their santee with a gift.

I’m also sure given the nature of this forum that if someone was the recipient of such a Santa, the community would overwhelm that Santee with kindness.

Back