New Music Friday!

Out of respect for Alan Sparhawk over the loss of his wife, Mimi Parker, I listened to his new album, White Roses, My God in its entirety. I'm sure Sparhawk's stylistic choices/decisions on this album were made in lieu of dealing with his terrible loss.. That being said, this was and will be the only time I will ever listen to this album.. RIP Mimi.

Out of respect for Alan Sparhawk over the loss of his wife, Mimi Parker, I listened to his new album, White Roses, My God in its entirety. I'm sure Sparhawk's stylistic choices/decisions on this album were made in lieu of dealing with his terrible loss.. That being said, this was and will be the only time I will ever listen to this album.. RIP Mimi.

Yeah, I didn't really have expectations but that was nevertheless not what I was expecting.

For a Trace Mountains taste test, check out his track "Cary's Dreams." It's the first track I ever heard of his, and it hooked me immediately. Since then I've followed his work, and seen him live when he comes through Philly.

Merce Lemon is new to me this year, and I haven't yet dug into her previous work from 2017-2020. That said, a single from this album "Will You Do Me A Kindness" caught my ear, and then I've continued listening to other singles from this upcoming album, and really enjoying them.

Figured I'd give guidance on my top two listens at least …
Trace Mountains is actually pretty good 👍Reminds of TWOD, at least the more uptempo songs. It has that Heartland sound to it. Thanks for the rec!

Last edited:
For a Trace Mountains taste test, check out his track "Cary's Dreams." It's the first track I ever heard of his, and it hooked me immediately. Since then I've followed his work, and seen him live when he comes through Philly.

Merce Lemon is new to me this year, and I haven't yet dug into her previous work from 2017-2020. That said, a single from this album "Will You Do Me A Kindness" caught my ear, and then I've continued listening to other singles from this upcoming album, and really enjoying them.

Figured I'd give guidance on my top two listens at least …
Merce Lemon’s “Will You Do Me A Kindness” is one of my favorite songs of the year. Disappointingly I am pretty sure she left the track off her new album for some reason. I plan on still giving it a listen but I was pretty bummed that amazing tune was omitted from the album proper.

Not on my Radar List but definitely on my listening list for today:

Birdmask's  Isolde EP and Horace Andy & Jah Wobble's Timeless Roots

Neither appeared on any of the lists I pull my info from, but both are highly interesting to me.

The Birdmask EP has mostly been released already as singles and is a great companion piece to the Tristan EP that came out last year — the art for all the singles and both EPs are definitely thematically linked.

Horace Andy is always worth listening to. One of my favourite voices in reggae. The few singles I've already heard from this have been tasteful covers a revisitstion of one of Horace's hits. I'm sure the whole thing will be a joy.

So far, Ezra Collective is great, Roger Eno & Soul Asylum are fine and Alan Sparhawk is... something. 😶

Back