New Music Friday!

Just finished up the new, debut Geordie Greep (former frontman and guitarist of Black Midi) album, The New Sound (was it just me or did everyone else also miss that this wss dropping today??!)

Maaaaannn... I really want to like this more than I do. On paper, it's right up my alley. And the album art is fucking awesome! But I guess it only makes sense becasue there was always something about Black Midi that didn't click with me - they always just missed my AOTY lists.* Anyway, I'm curious what anyone else thinks who gets through this 62-minute debut.

*edit: well, I just remembered they placed in the high 30s of my Top50 list from 2021..

From the 12 albums on my radar list, I decided to kick off this staaaaaacked new music Friday with the sophomore album, Everybody Needs A Hero, from Dublin, Ireland singer-songwriter, Orla Gartland. Gartland's 2021 debut album placed very high up on my AOTY list for that year, so I had high expectations going into this new one. And she surely avoided the dreaded sophomore slump, as there's not a weak track among the album's 12 tracks and 37 minute runtime. Tracks like "Little Chaos", "SOUND OF LETTING GO", and "The Hit" absolutely slap, while tracks like "Mine" and "Everybody Needs A Hero" are more personal, softer, and bring much more depth. The indie/alternative rock and pop styles on this album are sure to be something everybody can enjoy. The instrumentation is fresh and never misses either. As it stands, without a doubt, Everybody Needs A Hero will land on my AOTY list at year's end.

I was coming to post this because it feels like an album that will fly under a lot of people's radar. Really fun and inventive pop rock album here! Her song “Why Am I Like This” is a bit of a guilty pleasure but never really expected her to release an album this killer

Back