New Music Friday!

Radar List for 10.4.24

Godspeed You! Black Emperor – "NO TITLE AS OF 13 FEBRUARY 2024 28,340 DEAD"
Yasmin Williams – Acadia
Various Artists – Better Than Jail
Rena Jones & KiloWatts – Caesura
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit – Live From The Ryman, Vol. 2
Darius Jones – Legend of e’Boi (The Hypervigilant Eye)
Anna Butterss – Mighty Vertebrate
Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 – Heavier Yet lies the Crownless Head
Thee Sacred Souls Got A Story To Tell
Leon Bridges – Leon
Caribou – Honey
Dawn Richard & Spencer Zahn – Quiet in a World Full of Noise
Blood Incantation – Absolute Elsewhere

Everybody sleeping on Wild Pink? Damn, that's my weekend right there. Will have to check out the Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Smile records also. Still have no idea how a lot of you can listen to soooo much without diluting the impact/art. Props though.
I am with you on Wild Pink the singles have been excellent. Looking forward to it.

I am with you on Wild Pink the singles have been excellent. Looking forward to it.
Everybody sleeping on Wild Pink? Damn, that's my weekend right there. Will have to check out the Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Smile records also. Still have no idea how a lot of you can listen to soooo much without diluting the impact/art. Props though.
Not me! Wild Pink is one of the most underrated bands out there imo. ILYSM, A Billion Little Lights, and Yolk in the Fur are all excellent albums that I return to all the time. Even their EPs and singles in between albums are amazing, such as Florida - what a track! I haven't spent enough time with their very first album, but I will.

I've seen them a couple times, but always as openers, so one of my most anticipated concerts this fall is a headlining gig of theirs in November. Can't wait to see them play an hour+ instead of some 30 minute opening set. Also, John Francis Flynn is opening those gigs, which is an unbelievable get as an opener.

Takes me longer than a week to listen to my weekly lists, and I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Still have no idea how a lot of you can listen to soooo much without diluting the impact/art. Props though.
Back in the day I would meticulously listen to every album on my radar list from start to finish, and sometimes multiple times. I would try to find ways to like albums and it would bother me if I didn't give albums a proper chance. Nowadays, and I'll be completely honest, I shut an album off immediately and don't look back if I can tell that it's something not for me (and that's been very prevalent this year..). That being said, I don't want to come off sounding like my grandparents did about music I grew up with, a music curmudgeon if you will.. I'm just at the point where I don't have the time to waste on something if I know it's not for me.. Also, that being said, I still very much enjoy putting together a radar list and getting hyped each week about the potential for new albums to still blow me away.

Back in the day I would meticulously listen to every album on my radar list from start to finish, and sometimes multiple times. I would try to find ways to like albums and it would bother me if I didn't give albums a proper chance. Nowadays, and I'll be completely honest, I shut an album off immediately and don't look back if I can tell that it's something not for me (and that's been very prevalent this year..). That being said, I don't want to come off sounding like my grandparents did about music I grew up with, a music curmudgeon if you will.. I'm just at the point where I don't have the time to waste on something if I know it's not for me.. Also, that being said, I still very much enjoy putting together a radar list and getting hyped each week about the potential for new albums to still blow me away.
I make it a point to listen to at least one new album a day. It’s a lot better than trying to force myself to listen to all 8 gazillion releases every week. I still feel like there’s a lot I am late to the party on, but it’s all good.

I make it a point to listen to at least one new album a day. It’s a lot better than trying to force myself to listen to all 8 gazillion releases every week. I still feel like there’s a lot I am late to the party on, but it’s all good.
If my math is right, that's still a floor of 365 new albums per year. I mean, I think you're doing just fine.

If my math is right, that's still a floor of 365 new albums per year. I mean, I think you're doing just fine.
I don’t have enough time to listen to music that doesn’t interest me. I rely on friends and reviews and social media to guide me. I am sure it results in me missing things every now and again but I just look at those things as potential future surprises that my future self will get to discover.

I listen to probably at least 10 new albums a week and my rule is if it hasn’t absolutely hooked me in the first 3 songs, I move on to the next. Not enough time to listen to something that doesn’t quickly speak for itself.
Yeah, there are quite a few things that don’t get full listens. I try real hard to listen to one new album from front to back every day. I definitely average it because I can usually find at least three or four that I am really excited about every Friday. Plus there are things like that last Timberlake album or 143 that I make it through just on a whole “it can’t actually be this bad the whole way through, can it?”

From the 12 albums on my radar list, I decided to kick off this staaaaaacked new music Friday with the sophomore album, Everybody Needs A Hero, from Dublin, Ireland singer-songwriter, Orla Gartland. Gartland's 2021 debut album placed very high up on my AOTY list for that year, so I had high expectations going into this new one. And she surely avoided the dreaded sophomore slump, as there's not a weak track among the album's 12 tracks and 37 minute runtime. Tracks like "Little Chaos", "SOUND OF LETTING GO", and "The Hit" absolutely slap, while tracks like "Mine" and "Everybody Needs A Hero" are more personal, softer, and bring much more depth. The indie/alternative rock and pop styles on this album are sure to be something everybody can enjoy. The instrumentation is fresh and never misses either. As it stands, without a doubt, Everybody Needs A Hero will land on my AOTY list at year's end.

So far 2/2 with the new Wild Pink and GY!BE. The Wild Pink is a fantastic return to form after ILYSM which I thought was a swing and a miss.
I'm very attached to ILYSM for it's softness and beauty, but that attachment is also deeply connected to the backstory of the album's creation, with Ross battling cancer when writing it. Cahooting the Multiverse, esp in the pause / drop around 0:40, and the stream of conscience lyrics, is one of my favorite tracks of this decade.

New album is fantastic. Some crazy instrumentation on this one. I love that like Irish ballad Bonnie One! Making a lot of sense that they are touring with John Francis Flynn!

Godspeed is fucking amazing back to OG form, wow.

From the 12 albums on my radar list, I decided to kick off this staaaaaacked new music Friday with the sophomore album, Everybody Needs A Hero, from Dublin, Ireland singer-songwriter, Orla Gartland. Gartland's 2021 debut album placed very high up on my AOTY list for that year, so I had high expectations going into this new one. And she surely avoided the dreaded sophomore slump, as there's not a weak track among the album's 12 tracks and 37 minute runtime. Tracks like "Little Chaos", "SOUND OF LETTING GO", and "The Hit" absolutely slap, while tracks like "Mine" and "Everybody Needs A Hero" are more personal, softer, and bring much more depth. The indie/alternative rock and pop styles on this album are sure to be something everybody can enjoy. The instrumentation is fresh and never misses either. As it stands, without a doubt, Everybody Needs A Hero will land on my AOTY list at year's end.

A few months ago she sent a little video to my local station's program director asking for consideration for airplay and he's been smitten with her ever since. It helps that it's actually good too!

I came across a single from this album a couple months ago and loved it. Thanks for heads up about album release.

After I heared her I saw she was coming to Philly, a smaller venue, and I when I was considering getting tix the show was already sold out! So she's definitely catching a lot of ears in the states.

Back