New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

My Humminguru arrived today. Going to pair it with some g-sonic cleaner as they have guru specific directions. Any tips or tricks for a newbie? Just fire it up and let er rip?
I probably go a bit overboard but every new/used record gets a full clean cycle and then a full auto cycle. My apt is dusty af so I want the records as dry as possible to avoid dust sticking to a clean but kinda damp record.

I appreciate the honesty. The first step in getting help is admitting that you are, in fact, fancy.

But could degritter juice be used in a HG?
I would accept help to become even more fancy if that's what you're offering...

I'm not qualified to answer that regarding the cleaning fluids. I suspect it's best to stick with what's been formulated for each machine as some could foam up or not rinse off properly depending on how the machines operate... I know the Degritter is susceptible to foaming if you use the wrong stuff, or too much of the correct stuff...

I would accept help to become even more fancy if that's what you're offering...

I'm not qualified to answer that regarding the cleaning fluids. I suspect it's best to stick with what's been formulated for each machine as some could foam up or not rinse off properly depending on how the machines operate... I know the Degritter is susceptible to foaming if you use the wrong stuff, or too much of the correct stuff...
First record cleaned with new Degritter mkII fluid. I intentionally put a big ol’ thumbprint on it and it came out squeaky clean. Haven’t heard or cleaned this record before so I can’t say how much the cleaning improved things but the 1975 Fantasy pressing of Cannonball Adderly’s Phoenix sounded stupendous. Turning the system off now as our power company raises its rate to 150% of off peak until 7:00 tonight. That doesn’t play well with a big Class A amp.

Last edited:
First record cleaned with new Degritter mkII fluid. I intentionally put a big ol’ thumbprint on it and it came out squeaky clean. Haven’t heard or cleaned this record before so I can’t say how much the cleaning improved things but the 1975 Fantasy pressing of Cannonball Adderly’s Phoenix sounded stupendous. Turning the system off now as our power company raises its rate to 150% of off peak until 7:00 tonight. That doesn’t play well with a big Class A amp.
Xcel?

Single cycle? No rinse?

Yes. I fudged a bit as it’s only 125% surcharge between 1:00 and 3:00. Still, I’m not giving those bastards an extra penny if I can help it. During the week, listening is limited to between 7pm and 1pm the following day. Weekends find the stereo on for most of that time. The E800 is still running in with soundstage haze diminishing and receding back from the speakers. If I hadn’t had the E650 for several years prior I would have thought the 800 was marvelous already but I know it will just keep getting better with more hours on it. Sorry for the thread digression.

My Humminguru arrived today. Going to pair it with some g-sonic cleaner as they have guru specific directions. Any tips or tricks for a newbie? Just fire it up and let er rip?
The lid on the removable water tank does not snap/lock in place. So make sure you are holding it down securely when you pour water into the unit. I learned this lesson the hard way.

The lid on the removable water tank does not snap/lock in place. So make sure you are holding it down securely when you pour water into the unit. I learned this lesson the hard way.
On that topic, I have a dumb question. I’m currently cleaning my first one. It drains the water out when drying, but do I need to pour that water back into the basin before each record? Or will it transfer it back over?

Poured water directly into the basin, I will say that the buttons were initially unresponsive and glitched out when I tried to start the cycle. Guess I got a lemon.

Back