Political Discussion

In other words late night network talk show comedy over the past 20 years?

I did enjoy John Mulaney’s Everybody’s In LA on Netflix. I wish that was an ongoing nightly show instead of a just seemingly a 6 episode run.
Feel like as our political situation has gotten more blatantly dire, late night and SNL's attempts to make it cute and funny has only become more unbearable (excluding Leno, who was always unbearable).

Vance:
“You guys in the media, you're acting like Donald Trump filmed a TV commercial at a gravesite,” Vance said. “He was there providing emotional support to a lot of brave Americans who lost loved ones they never should have lost. And there happened to be a camera there, and somebody gave him permission to have that camera there.”
Except that’s exactly what he did, you dumb fuck:

Feel like as our political situation has gotten more blatantly dire, late night and SNL's attempts to make it cute and funny has only become more unbearable (excluding Leno, who was always unbearable).
Comedy has always pointed out the absurdity of politics in this country. Well, at least since Bruce and I imagine before that.

eh, it’s always been fucked we just think it’s worse now because we’re in it. In most cases it’s better to laugh than cry. Though Shit SNL has done with Trump, Palin, Musk and Fallon tussling Trumps hair was all pretty gross. I did enjoy Will Farrell making W a completely buffoon and Chevy making Carter a clumsy oaf.

The issue is they wanna “both sides” everything and sand down the satire to a soft nub.

So…. You do want to go back?

I jest.

But seriously, if it means more people are paying attention, who cares?
My point is that these formats have settled into a sort of boomer liberalism, which is whatever, better than the alternative. Just find the dem worship gross and the reliance on cultural references that are out of date within the week painful. I'm not the audience so doesn't matter, I don't even have cable lol

I think there being extreme news is a bigger thing. MSNBC is the same as Fox just skewed to the left. HuffPost and New Republic often read like twitter posts by far right maganauts. Having “reputable” news sources cut quote stuff (so that “dictator on day one” and “you’ll never have to vote again” become slogans the left uses against the right) just makes it easier for Vance to be like my “childless cat lady” quote was taken out of context when there was no context that makes it any less than it is.

My point is that these formats have settled into a sort of boomer liberalism, which is whatever, better than the alternative. Just find the dem worship gross and the reliance on cultural references that are out of date within the week painful. I'm not the audience so doesn't matter, I don't even have cable lol
I mean they do it to the left too, problem is there is less funny (usually) over there. Do you feel the same about Oliver or Stewart?

I think the artists that don’t want Trump to use their stuff should make sure they are removed from the ASCAP political stuff to insure this no longer happens. Though I guess letting Trump use their music and then getting upset about it does allow them to state they don’t support Trump without actually endorsing anyone.

I mean they do it to the left too, problem is there is less funny (usually) over there. Do you feel the same about Oliver or Stewart?
Yes for Oliver (he should be tried for the Drumpf bullshit that was everywhere a couple cycles ago) but granted haven't watched him in ages.

Less so for Stewart. He's a sharp orator who doesn't resort to cheap jokes or simplified, populist interpretations of the news. He was shitting on Biden the moment he returned and calling out the hypocrisy of the DNC just a few days ago. I admire that. You won't catch late night or SNL dead stumping for Palestine or reminding everyone that Bill Clinton is a sexual predator.

An exception I'll make for SNL is a completely without-fucks-to-give Norm at the helm of update.

Norm was the best. Conan was Letterman were excellent too on their respective late night shows but they were all more subversive than political…not that that’s a bad thing.

I feel like most of the late night shows now aim for applause instead of laughter which makes the tribalism/surface level political stuff a pretty low bar to achieve their goals.

The stuff Colbert was doing with The Colbert Report was fantastic. There is nothing as remotely satirical today.

Last edited:
Yes for Oliver (he should be tried for the Drumpf bullshit that was everywhere a couple cycles ago) but granted haven't watched him in ages.

Less so for Stewart. He's a sharp orator who doesn't resort to cheap jokes or simplified, populist interpretations of the news. He was shitting on Biden the moment he returned and calling out the hypocrisy of the DNC just a few days ago. I admire that. You won't catch late night or SNL dead stumping for Palestine or reminding everyone that Bill Clinton is a sexual predator.
I mean Drumpft was the original spelling of his family’s name. Oliver is silly but uses his platform in much the same way as Stewart.

Completely agree on Jon Stewart.

While I appreciate that John Oliver is shining a light on important issues I will say most of his shows feel like they are regurgitating PBS/Vice/Al Jazera investigative stories where they just scatter jokes around the hard investigative journalism done by these other entities. That being said some of the jokes are pretty funny

Back