Political Discussion

Music ones always blow my mind. It even works in opposite directions. Like I had no idea that Linkin Park was as freaking big as they were. I thought they were like Papa Roach tier in the American consciousness and it surprised me to learn over the last couple years that they are somehow far more relevant than I ever knew.
I had a manager at my first job at 14 (so about '96) and she must've been in her 20s or 30s (hard to tell, I feel like the age of adults was difficult to gauge at that age) who had no idea who Jimi Hendrix was. I'm sure she heard his music in passing or in a movie or something. But absolutely no idea. 14 year old me who played guitar and loved my heroes was stunned - completely shocked. Then I grew up and am no longer shocked. The world isn't catered to my tastes and knowledge bank, and that's a good thing.

I had a manager at my first job at 14 (so about '96) and she must've been in her 20s or 30s (hard to tell, I feel like the age of adults was difficult to gauge at that age) who had no idea who Jimi Hendrix was. I'm sure she heard his music in passing or in a movie or something. But absolutely no idea. 14 year old me who played guitar and loved my heroes was stunned - completely shocked. Then I grew up and am no longer shocked. The world isn't catered to my tastes and knowledge bank, and that's a good thing.
It is wild how different some of our exposure and knowledge can be.

I wore a Hendrix t-shirt to work on a casual Friday back in the late 90s, I’d guess. I was on the elevator when two twenty something ladies, one white and one black, got on and the white one asked me who that was on the shirt. Mistakenly, I asked the black one to tell the other who it was, assuming she must assuredly know. With a quizzical look on her face she replied “Prince?”. I knew officially that I was old and in the way that day.

I can’t remember if this was already posted but if it was, I feel like it’s too many pages for me to look. It really seems like it would a no brainer investing in our youth, but it’s just another example of the brokenness that exists in this “great” country.

Did I miss it, or did he really not quote Trump's secretary of education saying "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

The aid during the pandemic was great. It worked well, but it seems like our elected government officials couldn't get rid of it fast enough saying things like "aid is only ment to be temporary". And ending it was the responsible thing to do.

Climate protesters are taking action against Big Oil. UK courts are handing them prison terms akin to rapists and thieves​

You’re a few months behind the curve here. The tories passed some pretty draconian anti protest laws that have particularly rough implications if you cause disruption on places like motorways under the auspices of “public safety”

Back