Political Discussion

To each their own. I am sure there are a lot of people in the world that do not follow popular culture in any way, shape, or form (Bushmen living off the grid, the Amish, Bath Salt addicts, the comatose, etc…) the part where it strains credulity for me personally is how people could be so siloed into what pop culture things they choose to follow while completely filtering out the rest. Like if you follow popular music or watch movies or are super into professional wrestling or canoe building or whatever and you are plugged in to civilization enough to keep up on trends under those interests that you then choose to bypass everything else. Sticking with the basketball example. I think most folks likely can’t name the star player on the world championship Boston Celtics but they probably know who Larry Bird is, because Larry Bird transcended sports. Like I am not a Hockey fan or a Soccer fan or an F1 racing fan and I don’t go out of my way to necessarily learn about those particular things but I am still aware of the stars of the sport I know who McDavid, Messi, and Lewis Hamilton are. I have heard of them because the seep into other areas of interest I don’t even need to be curious just cognizant to take notice.
I have heard of Messi and would associate that name with the sport of Soccer. I literally know nothing else. I could not identify them in a lineup. I don't know what country they play for. Literally the only other soccer player I could name is David Beckham because he was on my wheaties box as a kid. I've never heard of those other two, though. I believe I saw Messi on /r/nextfuckinglevel a few times, and yeah, I suppose they've been somewhat verbified.

Having kids who are still seeing and learning things for the first time I have a bit of sensitivity to people talking down to someone for learning something new for the first time as if we're supposed to be born with certain knowledge. If someone says they don't know who or what about you're speaking it can be a lot more productive to just give a quick summary and move on rather than treat them as if they're somehow a pariah for not being clued in to the same things as you.

I have heard of Messi and would associate that name with the sport of Soccer. I literally know nothing else. I could not identify them in a lineup. I don't know what country they play for. Literally the only other soccer player I could name is David Beckham because he was on my wheaties box as a kid. I've never heard of those other two, though. I believe I saw Messi on /r/nextfuckinglevel a few times, and yeah, I suppose they've been somewhat verbified.

Having kids who are still seeing and learning things for the first time I have a bit of sensitivity to people talking down to someone for learning something new for the first time as if we're supposed to be born with certain knowledge. If someone says they don't know who or what about you're speaking it can be a lot more productive to just give a quick summary and move on rather than treat them as if they're somehow a pariah for not being clued in to the same things as you.
But what about Pele?

To be fair, I am a bit of a smart ass and an unreliable narrator at times.

I agree and I hope this wasn't taken as a personal attack or that I was talking down to you. I am someone who enjoys learning and and gets joy seeing people of all ages discover something new. I would never scoff at someones ignorance. It does bug me a bit when people choose to wear their ignorance as a badge of honor however.

I agree and I hope this wasn't taken as a personal attack or that I was talking down to you. I am someone who enjoys learning and and gets joy seeing people of all ages discover something new. I would never scoff at someones ignorance. It does bug me a bit when people choose to wear their ignorance as a badge of honor however.

I mean it’s professional sport, not current affairs or electoral politics. Calling it ignorance is kind of commical and absurd. No one is going to die because Lee didn’t know some woman who played some American sports a while back and appears on American TV from time to time.

Also the way we consume media know allows for a much more curated experience. We don’t need to skip the sports or ents pages in the paper anymore, we just don’t go near that content.

I knew a lad who genuinely didn’t know who Beckham was living in Manchester in 2002. That was fucking weird in a way but you know, he hated football.

I say this as an insanely passionate football fan that isn’t always fun to be around on match day…

Are you a lot younger than I thought? Wasn't Beckham a player in our adult years?

Are you a lot younger than I thought? Wasn't Beckham a player in our adult years?

He broke through in the 95/96 and was pretty huge from the beginning in Britain because he was pretty boy from the start but I’d imagine it was 3 or 4 years and a spice marriage later before he came into the consciousness of the states. Equally I thought deb was older than that either way.

I mean it’s professional sport, not current affairs or electoral politics. Calling it ignorance is kind of commical and absurd. No one is going to die because Lee didn’t know some woman who played some American sports a while back and appears on American TV from time to time.

Also the way we consume media know allows for a much more curated experience. We don’t need to skip the sports or ents pages in the paper anymore, we just don’t go near that content.

I knew a lad who genuinely didn’t know who Beckham was living in Manchester in 2002. That was fucking weird in a way but you know, he hated football.

I say this as an insanely passionate football fan that isn’t always fun to be around on match day…
We must define ingorance differently be cause for me it just means lack of knowledge and could apply to anything. There isn’t a level of importance that the knowledge needs to arise to qualify in using that word. The conversation was based around popular culture, not currently events or electoral politics.

Let me apologize, I appear to have ruffled some feathers in a way that wasn’t my intended.

We must define ingorance differently be cause for me it just means lack of knowledge and could apply to anything. There isn’t a level of importance that the knowledge needs to arise to qualify in using that word. The conversation was based around popular culture, not currently events or electoral politics.

Let me apologize, I appear to have ruffled some feathers in a way that wasn’t my intended.

You went really hard over multiple pages on someone for not knowing something about sports. A fun pass time for many to watch or participate in. But equally nothing more and nothing less and if you don’t like it utterly irrelevant. It wasn’t fun to read.

Btw, not trying to stir the pot at all, these are genuine questions because I don't follow sports as an adult but I do tend to know who all the major people are because I read the news and the headlines everyday.
Thank you, That is all I was trying to say. I use my mom as as example. She is completely ignorant to professional sports but she knows who the big names are and not like the names of the people that are just stars within their sport but those names that transcend sports and permeate Pop culture as a whole. like Michael Jordan or Shaq or Peyton Manning. She doesn’t know anything about their actual careers but she knows that they were good at the sport they played and knows who they are.

Thank you, That is all I was trying to say. I use my mom as as example. She is completely ignorant to professional sports but she knows who the big names are and not like the names of the people that are just stars within their sport but those names that transcend sports and permeate Pop culture as a whole. like Michael Jordan or Shaq or Peyton Manning. She doesn’t know anything about their actual careers but she knows that they were good at the sport they played and knows who they are.

Mothers are a poor example in this context though. My mother was probably the same but entirely because she had three boys and it’s was a process of osmosis. Three sons who never shut the fuck up about it forced her too know way too much about something. She had zero interest in.

As a fella being good at, and following, sport is so tied up into traditional and expected ideas of gender norms and masculinity in an almost at times toxic way. Being shit at it, or worse not even liking it, can leave you vulnerable to shit at a formative age and would probably turn you off it to the point that you’d almost actively avoid knowing about it. Equally that’s fine, it’s entertainment, knowing or not knowing of it isn’t important in the slightest. This woman isn’t Taylor Swift or Madonna.

Last edited:
They were around for a lot more though and in commercials, movies, etc. I know she (I keep wanting to call her Caitlyn Jenner, but that's definitely the wrong one) had a big moment, but I do think it's really easy to tune out sports, especially women's sports that the media already doesn't cover much. Angel Reese has been just as good of a player and even broke a record this season in the WNBA and I bet even fewer know who she is. I mainly do because I read an article in the news about the racial side of why she didn't get the same level of attention and that was more interesting to me than the basketball stuff.

So I do understand your point in a lot of ways, I can guarantee that someone like my wife who even was there with me in Iowa and heard all the same people cheering in the streets when she won heading into the finals, and who is online all the time, would still have no idea who she was if I said her name. She has very selective memory and things she doesn't care about don't register at all.

Back