Political Discussion

And ya know, this isn’t scary at all either:

Cheng, senior and co-corresponding author of the study, told TODAY correspondent Erin McLaughlin that people ages 25 to 44 saw a nearly 30% increase in heart attack deaths over the first two years of the pandemic—a surprising finding without a clear explanation.

But, sure, keep talking about this thing like it’s some sort of conspiracy. Let’s let people die to make a point to the government that we aren’t going to put on a mask at the height of Covid wave after Covid wave because we are free to spread deadly disease wherever we want. If you want a conspiracy, how about the one where our government didn’t seize and open up the patent for the covid vaccine so that any scientist could work on it and any country could have/produce it, like the poor countries that were most affected by covid deaths due to richer countries not truly imposing travel restrictions. And they didn’t open up the patent to protect pharmaceutical company stock holders, you know, instead of the rest of the frickin world—and a few people made a ton of money which is partially responsible for the rejection of the vaccine. Oh wait…that one actually happened.

Last edited:

The biggest takeaway here for me is not Texas joining a handful of other states allowing this after Tump signed into law a bill that would allow states to do this, but rather that no state has been allowed to import a single dose yet. Makes me wonder if it will ever happen or forever be held up until it's repealed.

And ya know, this isn’t scary at all either:

Cheng, senior and co-corresponding author of the study, told TODAY correspondent Erin McLaughlin that people ages 25 to 44 saw a nearly 30% increase in heart attack deaths over the first two years of the pandemic—a surprising finding without a clear explanation.

But, sure, keep talking about this thing like it’s some sort of conspiracy. Let’s let people die to make a point to the government that we aren’t going to put on a mask at the height of Covid wave after Covid wave because we are free to spread deadly disease wherever we want. If you want a conspiracy, how about the one where our government didn’t seize and open up the patent for the covid vaccine so that any scientist could work on it and any country could have/produce it, like the poor countries that were most affected by covid deaths due to richer countries not truly imposing travel restrictions. And they didn’t open up the patent to protect pharmaceutical company stock holders, you know, instead of the rest of the frickin world—and a few people made a ton of money which is partially responsible for the rejection of the vaccine. Oh wait…that one actually happened.
On this note, has anyone gotten their booster? I feel like I saw one note from the White House, almost a footnote, saying get a booster, then nothing else? As a relatively healthy individual, and someone that might not be looking directly for this info, I feel it should almost be omnipresent to the point that I should know whether or not I'm supposed to get it. It's scary that this discourse has become like the flu vaccine, where you're supposed to get it, but many don't as they largely feel it's "optional."

On this note, has anyone gotten their booster? I feel like I saw one note from the White House, almost a footnote, saying get a booster, then nothing else? As a relatively healthy individual, and someone that might not be looking directly for this info, I feel it should almost be omnipresent to the point that I should know whether or not I'm supposed to get it. It's scary that this discourse has become like the flu vaccine, where you're supposed to get it, but many don't as they largely feel it's "optional."
The new boosters are not out to my knowledge, I think they are saying late September, I got the one from last fall.

Did they ever authorize a third booster? I haven't heard anything.

I have gotten 2 boosters to date. My last one in January.

The new boosters are not out to my knowledge, I think they are saying late September, I got the one from last fall.

Did they ever authorize a third booster? I haven't heard anything.

I have gotten 2 boosters to date. My last one in January.
Yeah, I got my 3rd shot and only booster in late 2021. So now here I am, 2 years out, thinking what if I was immunocompromised, just keep getting the same booster?

Yeah, I got my 3rd shot and only booster in late 2021. So now here I am, 2 years out, thinking what if I was immunocompromised, just keep getting the same booster?
This is another problem. My dad is immunocopromised so he’s gotten somewhere around 5 boosters. They do change the boosters for prevailing strains, but often the strains the boosters are protecting against are prevailing strains from months ago, since it takes a while to manufacture boosters. Right now, they are telling anyone under 65 in good health should get a booster. I think the confusion around this is also a big problem and fans the conspiracy theory flames.

Now for adults who are otherwise healthy and younger than 65, and young adults, adolescents, and children, that's all going to be debated," Schaffner noted, anticipating how discussions at CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) will go when the group meets on September 12.

Aaron Glatt, MD, of Mount Sinai South Nassau in Oceanside, New York, who is also a spokesperson for IDSA, said that people "who have been vaccinated, who are healthy, who are younger, are probably not the first people who should be getting in line to get another COVID booster, especially if they've had one."

In addition, someone who's recently had COVID probably doesn't need a booster, he added.

I still haven't had Covid. But I've gotten all the shots I can, and will get the new one. The last I heard was September sometime, but yeah I don't know if I'm eligible. It's been a wild few years. Of course I've taken all the precautions, staying at home for much of 2020-21 except working. Came into contact with a handful of cases, never contracted it. I mean, I was the last person to stop wearing a mask at work (January '23). But since then I've been living normally and still haven't ran into catching it. Now our school year has started up, and there have already been a few sick kids. How long can I keep this up...

Same for me. I've had a total of three shots. I did catch covid in July 2022 - it was very mild - my husband had it much worse. At my annual physical last Oct, my doctor added a covid antibodies test to my regular bloodwork. When the results came in, I was shocked to see how many antibodies I had - literally off the chart by at least 50x. (Doctors disagree whether or not having the antibodies actually gives you any immunity)

I decided to put my next booster off until early 2023, but I never did get around to getting it. I do still mask much of the time, since I am immunocompromised, particularly at doctor's appointments. I do get weird looks, and some people say to me that masks are no longer required. Yeah, I know.

My daughter went to FLA on a business trip from Aug 13-17, I drove her and her BF home from The National show at MSG on Aug 18 (no one was masked) and she tested positive for covid on Tues, Aug 22. (Multiple people that went to that FLA meeting did as well) Both her BF and I have been fine so far.

I have also heard that the "new" shot will be coming out this fall, and I intend to get it then.

The latest strategy the GOP has against abortion is "compromise". Where they have failed to get restrictive bills passed such as in South Carolina because the States Supreme Court said a 6 week abortion bill violated the states constitutional right to privacy, the work around was adding a clause to the bill the allowed people to get an abortion within a week of learning they were pregnant.

The problem with this is it doesn't provide access. It's simply near impossible for anyone who learns they are pregnant to turn around and get an abortion in less than a week.

But this seems to be the strategy Republicans are using in many states now. Saying their compromises are fair, just and giving pro-choice people the means they were looking for.

Back