Political Discussion

Yeah, but…. Age is a protected class.
There are already age restrictions on some government positions (by which I mean, upper age ranges; I dont mean the lower age limits say for president that already exist). I'm sure that could be extended to government positions. I imagine - and I'm not a legal scholar - that the problem would be discriminating against an individual based on age but if there were blanket upper age limits that would probably be doable. Of course, the old heads making the laws aren't gonna legislate themselves out of a job.

There are already age restrictions on some government positions (by which I mean, upper age ranges; I dont mean the lower age limits say for president that already exist). I'm sure that could be extended to government positions. I imagine - and I'm not a legal scholar - that the problem would be discriminating against an individual based on age but if there were blanket upper age limits that would probably be doable. Of course, the old heads making the laws aren't gonna legislate themselves out of a job.
It would take a Constitutional amendment to put in age and term limits, so I’m not holding my breath waiting.

I used to be all in on term limits for congress, but elections seem a suitable stop gap if the candidates have a clean bill of health. I’m still for it for SCOTUS as they just have too much power and no checks on it.
Thurmond had no idea who or where he was when he was reelected in '96 (at 93). Same with Feinstein in '18. If there can be a mandatory age to start, there can (and should) be a cut off. At what point does it become elder abuse to wheel these people out to the senate or house floor and have them drooling and shitting themselves. Not to mention a burden on the people they're supposed to be representing.

I'll say this: I am a far-leftist who is begrudgingly registered as a Democrat because that's the only way to make my vote matter in this country. I voted Uncommitted in the primary. I was going to force myself to vote for Biden in November, fully expecting the worst to happen. Now, I am fully on the Kamala coconut train. I donated $100 to her campaign last night (by far the most I've ever donated to a politician). As a young person, this is the first time I've ever felt hopeful for the future of this country. I despised Clinton, and Biden was probably in the bottom 20% of the many 2020 primary candidates. Kamala Harris certainly isn't my favorite Democrat, but by god, I will do whatever I can to help her win.

ACAB

Seriously, this is why I would never call the cops on any POC unless someone’s life was in immediate danger. Sonya Massey didn’t deserve to die. Acting a bit scattered at 1 AM on a Saturday night should not have resulted in death. I am glad that the pig has been charged with First Degree Murder. Such a disgusting needless act of violence.

Back