Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 17: Play something that wouldn't feel out of place at a Doctors office. Or play something that you can tie to your favorite Doctor from Doctor Who.

My oldest was DEEP into Doctor Who. So much that we spent the night at the con in line around 2012 to be able to get into the Dr. Who panel the next day with Matt Smith & Karen Gillan in the big hall (Hall H - holds around 6500 people). Sleeping outside for this room is a rite of passage at comic con since they get the big panels and it fills up early. Did it a few times when the kids were younger for Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Marvel, Pacific Rim & others but now that they are older we tend to avoid it since its too much work and you miss so much other stuff. Any way, she was also obsessed with the "Bad Wolf" plotline of Doctor Who, and would leave little Bad Wolf messages wherever we happened to be for a bit. So thats the tie in since I don't have any songs about wearing a Fez.

Los Lobos ~ How Will The Wolf Survive

IMG_0407.jpeg

Day 11:

Moor Mother – The Great Bailout
1000007991.jpg

Moor Mother isn't exactly known for "feel good" albums, but this examination of colonialism and slavery in the UK, particularly around the The Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 and the payment of reparations to former slave owners while giving nothing to the former slaves is a brilliant, but particularly emotionally exhausting, journey.

Day 19: Play something you would listen to on vacation.

Since I used Thanos in the picture prompt, I'll answer from his perspective. Assuming his work is done and he's wiped out half the universe, he gets to relax and 'vacation' on his farm, and would be playing this in his Walkman / Zune / Whatever as he drove around on this Thanos-Lawn Mower.

Sturgill Simpson ~ Cuttin' Grass Vol 1

IMG_0413.jpeg

Day 20: The Regular show references 80's culture quite a bit. Play something from that era, or is a throwback to it.

Released in 1981. And to tie it back to Comic Con, Jane Wiedlin was in Star Trek 4, Bill & Ted and Clue, has been a few times to SDCC signing at her own booth, not to mention hosting the Eisners (the Comics Industry Awards).

Go-Go's ~ Beauty and the Beat

IMG_0417.jpeg

Jane with Boba Phat in 2009

1724177355740.png

Back