Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

"80's" is pretty wide in terms of possible selections, so I thought my pick was pretty random this time.
Running these is always a crapshoot. I worry that I make some of the prompts too narrow (not this one obviously), but people tend to figure out a connection regardless and its fun to see the directions they take.

To quote Jeff Goldblum and a franchise that didn't make the cut this month:

"

Running these is always a crapshoot. I worry that I make some of the prompts too narrow (not this one obviously), but people tend to figure out a connection regardless and its fun to see the directions they take.

To quote Jeff Goldblum and a franchise that didn't make the cut this month:

"

I know what you mean... you want to give some direction, not too narrow, but also it has to be a bit of a challenge.

Day 20: The Regular show references 80's culture quite a bit. Play something from that era, or is a throwback to it.
1000011072.jpg
Jurassic 5 "Power in Numbers"
It's definitely a throwback! Might be a little too far back but they took a lot of inspiration from early hip hop and the sounds coming out of the parks onto records in the early 80's and yeah the 70's as well!

Day 14:
Play something that blew you away the first time you heard it

I don't get "blown away" these days by music, so I'm going with more of a difference in pressing and sound of the release.

When I first heard this pressing it blew me away how much better it was over the 2010 reissue that I already had. It made me drive back to Portland to see if they still had the 2 x 45 RPM of Blood Mountain that was also on the wall - and they did.

Mastodon ‎– Crack The Skye
Reprise Records – 517931-1, 2009

Limited to 2500

Cut at Bernie Grundman Mastering
Pressed at Pallas

lk3ghWD.jpg

QzSYCEx.jpg

Day 21: Music plays a big part of Stephen Kings books and movies. Play something you can tie to a King novel/book, or something from the 50s/60s.

Going to do a degrees of separation here to link it up.

Today's choice features a track called "Clown Dream" from a scene in the film that has evil clowns.

@MyWifeHatesTrain 's latest avatar is Pennywise. Who is a shapeshifting alien in Stephen King's IT who primarily manifests as a evil clown (Pennywise, not @MyWifeHatesTrain, at least as far as I know).

The attached picture is from 2019 comic con, where I got a selfie with multiple Pennywises from the two adaptations. There you have it.

Danny Elfman ~ Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

Day 21: Music plays a big part of Stephen Kings books and movies. Play something you can tie to a King novel/book, or something from the 50s/60s.

Paul and Linda McCartney "RAM" (1971 Apple Records; 1975 Japanese reissue)
I read Mr. Mercedes at the beginning of the summer. There was a quote where the main villain complains that Paul McCartney is getting a medal at the White House and that his mom used to call him "old spaniel eyes".

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

Paul and Linda McCartney "RAM" (1971 Apple Records; 1975 Japanese reissue)
I read Mr. Mercedes at the beginning of the summer. There was a quote where the main villain complains that Paul McCartney is getting a medal at the White House and that his mom used to call him "old spaniel eyes".

View attachment 211715

View attachment 211716
That was a good book. I read Finders Keepers after that, but I don't think I ever finished the trilogy with End of Watch. Will have to remedy that.

AC/DC - Back In Black

Hell's Bells and You Shook Me All Night Long were in the movie Maximum Overdrive! Hope this counts because he directed the thing lol

View attachment 211725

View attachment 211726
He wrote it too! It was in one of his short story collections originally.

Day 18:

The Jets – Magic
1000008055.jpg

Likely a few, if not most, were in their twenties by this time but they'd been a family band for a decade already at this point, so they were definitely kids when they started.

[Edit to add:] ALSO, they did the theme for Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers–so that's some extra kid cred!

Day 19:

The Dirt Band – An American Dream
20240821_213552.jpg

Most of my summer vacations growing up saw my Dad driving from central Alberta to Vancouver to pick me up and drive me out his way, usually stopping a couple of days in the BC's Okanagan region to visit his family along the way. 6-8 weeks later we'd do the same road trip in reverse. My Dad's not a really big music guy (yet he saw Zappa and The Stones) but he had a dozen or two cassettes, at least half a dozen of which were Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – the one band he ever considered himself a "fan" of and saw at least half a dozen times or more. I've yet to dive deep into their catalog but I've fond childhood memories of listening to them with him while driving through the Rockies. Fitting then, that I picked this album up a little over a week ago while out in his neck of the woods for a visit with the kids – my first time sharing the same roads with them that I grew up riding along. So technically I didn't listen to it on vacation, but it's got vacation vibes for me.

Back