Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 15: The Padres (like all San Diego Teams it seems) can never quite reach a championship. Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't.

The Politics Of Dancing - RE-FLEX
This is a hidden gem of the 1980s that I fell in love with at first listen. To me this is an essential must own album if you love 1980's music.

1723767890151.png

Day 15: Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't.

Sometimes a critic is exactly right...

"Wussy have been the best band in America since they released the first of their five superb albums in 2005, only nobody knows it except me and my friends…" - Robert Christgau

With Chuck's back issues and the suicide of John Erhardt, the comet Wussy has likely flamed out, but there's still a brilliant tail lingering if you look closely.

Talking about this day's theme in a short, superb interview...

This record should've kicked the door in...

Wussy - Attica!

IMG_6213.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 12: Play an album or artist that has become the subject of a book or movie, or something that had a multimedia rollout.

David Bowie "Scary Monsters" (1980 RCA; 2017 reissue)
Scary monsters...

View attachment 211289

...and a Bowie comic.

View attachment 211288
Michael Allred is one of my favorite comic book artists I am gonna have to check this out.

Day 10:
Play something appropriate for the apocalypse, or that you’d be willing to throw at a Zombie, Shaun of the Dead style.

I was surprised that I still even had this. I don't have many records that I'd waste on throwing at a Zombie...but this one is definitely the first thing I thought I would be willing to lose. I think I played it one time and never even watched an episode of the show.

Kaleo – No Good
Atlantic/Warner Bros. Records – none

Pressed at Pallas

0yFOQ9J.jpg

Day 11:
Play something that leaves you emotionally spent.

I rarely have any emotional response to music, so remembering when it has happened isn't the easiest of things. My memory sucks and I think I tend to block out things like emotion.

That he didn't live to see this album release saddens me.

Shellac – To All Trains
Touch And Go – TG444LP, 2024

Cut by Robert Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Injection Molded at Green Vinyl Records

05b4Jcz.jpg

J2foRGU.jpg

Day 12:
Play an album or artist that has become the subject of a book or movie, or something that had a multimedia rollout.

I suppose it's fitting they just released their last album...

Since the band posted the 1986 rockumentary to Youtube 7 years ago, I haven't played my DVD much, but I still have it.

Hje2Mti.jpg

X – Smoke & Fiction
Fat Possum Records – FP1838-1, 2024

Cut by Jeff Powell
Pressed at MRP/GZ

r10YFWZ.jpg

7BKFRZ2.jpg

Day 14: Play something that blew you away the first time you heard it

Boulevards "Electric Cowboy: Born In California Mud" (2022 Normaltown Records)
@ranbalam put me onto this record during one of my vinyl challenges, the one in December 2022. Loved the record right away. Modern soul-funk just like I like it.

IMG_1787.JPG

Day 15: The Padres (like all San Diego Teams it seems) can never quite reach a championship. Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't.

Bullfrog "Bullfrog" (2001 Ropeadope)
With Kid Koala anchoring the band with his unique brand of turntablism, this had the hodge-podge funkiness of the likes Beck and the Beastie Boys, along with that little something unique.

IMG_1788.JPG

Day 16: Play something you'd have as a soundtrack at a party

This is definitely something R2D2 would spin if he was hosting a party. C3PO not so much, I think C3PO is particular enough that he would only want to listen to the originals and see remixes like this as blasphemy. I'd much rather hang with R2.

Madlib ~ Shades of Blue

IMG_0378.jpeg

Back