Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 24: Play an album that took a while for you to find.

Arcadia "So red The Rose" (1985 Capitol)
Kind of forgotten with the times and never reissued, but this Duran Duran side-project is a top-5 album in their overall canon, in my opinion. I was looking a nice copy of this for a while. Had a cassette I played a lot growing-up but when I started focusing on vinyl again during the 2000's, I wanted a copy. There were beat-up copies all over the place and it's not expensive, but took a while to find a nice one. Then, I lucked out on a still-sealed OG for around $20. Plus, it's pressed on Quiex vinyl, no-less, and sounds superb.

IMG_1798.JPG

Day 24: Play an album that took a while for you to find
1000011131.jpg
K.M.D. "Mr. Hood"
I got this cassette in 91 when it came out and it got plenty of play at the time but hip hop in the 90's was MOVING and it seemed like another classic was coming out every week! I was soaking up as much as I could so many records fell through the cracks or got some shine but quickly fell to the wayside and were replaced by the new new shit! Years later I started to hear about this emcee calling himself MF DOOM and once I actually heard him I was hooked, this was the shit! The more I looked into it I eventually connected the dots and learned that this DOOM character was Zed LOVE X from K.M.D. I was a cassette kid, not into buying records back in the day so once I started trying to fill in some holes in my collection I learned things were not as easy to get as cassettes back in the day. I was never into Record Store Day, I like to sleep in on the weekend and am not a fan of big crowds so I missed this release on RSD and as usual it slipped my mind up until I finally came across a copy for a really good price, nothing better than stores trying to clear out old RSD titles! So I finally got this on wax and wish I played it more!

Day 24:

Leon Haywood – Come And Get Yourself Some
1000008115.jpg

Been looking for this one for nearly five years now, since pretty much the moment I started collecting again. Found this copy for a nice price up in Nanaimo two days ago after dropping my youngest off at the grandparents' place. Very stoked!

Day 15:
Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't.

XTC - they have a cult following and are identified by many artists and critics for their influence on post-punk, Britpop, and power pop. But since they stopped touring in the early 80's, they never really got as big as they should have. "Dear God" - the one hit here in the US only got to #37 on the charts, and the album Nonsuch was nominated for a Grammy (Best Alternative Music Album) in 1993.

XTC – Skylarking
Ape House – APELPD108, 1986/2016

2 x 45 RPM

Cut by John Dent at Loud Mastering

pZ55v65.jpg

N2xDEtM.jpg

Day 22: Play something that you think Marge (or any other random Simpson character besides Homer) would like.

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

Troy McClure would appreciate the song title "Let's Save Tony Orlando's House," since it's a telethon you may remember him from.

1000151672.jpg

Day 22: Play something that you think Marge (or any other random Simpson character besides Homer) would like.

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

Troy McClure would appreciate the song title "Let's Save Tony Orlando's House," since it's a telethon you may remember him from.

View attachment 212053
I might remember you from “Out With Gout ‘88”.

Day 25: Tarantino movies are known for their song choices being iconic. Play a song thats closely associated with a Movie / Movie Scene.

5150 - Van Halen.
There was only one choice for me. I grew up watching Power Rangers. During one of the worst years of my life, I had moved to a city where I had no friends. I was bullied constantly and felt alienated. I would watch the movie daily thinking if my heroes the Power Rangers could save the day, I could muster the strength to keep going. I associate that feeling so strongly with the ending of the movie. The fireworks over the song Dreams still sticks in my head to this day. I got to meet Jason Narvy who played Skull and Johnny Yong Bosch who played Adam earlier this year. Childhood me was so happy. I also have played that dvd to death so much so that it no longer works!

1724680792843.png1724680821857.png1724680850881.png1724680882500.png

1724680519659.png

Back