Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 18:
Play something performed by (meddling) kids.

I know I played this last month, but it still works for this days theme - I am really listening to it, but just using the same image as last month because I'm lazy.

We recorded this album when we were 16 in one week. The production and sound of the record is reflective of this, but this was a huge stepping stone for us. After Kezia was released, we were pretty embarassed of this album because the band's sound had matured between the two albums but looking back now it brings back fond memories and many laughs. We figured we'd share it with you because it was only ever released in Canada and Japan.

Protest The Hero – A Calculated Use Of Sound
Sheet Happens Publishing – SHV-058, 2003/2024

Limited to 1000

Pressed at Precision/GZ

L92wOA6.jpg

lDR1FVA.jpg

Day 28: Showing off with this one. My oldest made this puppet a number of years ago - Its Garfield the Deals Warlock from Fantasy Costco (from the Adventure Zone Podcast), accented with a Linda Belcher 'Boob Police' hat purchased at the con. Play something that you got as a great deal
1000011216.jpg
Queen Latifah "All Hail The Queen"
This was one of those Amazon doesn't know/ doesn't care they put up a pre-order for $10 instead of whatever it was supposed to be, it's a Tommy Boy reissue and my understanding is Tommy Boy is a shit company so fuck them and fuck Amazon too! This is a solid record with some dope production and a De La feature but it's probably only something I'd cop if I saw it for $10 so it was totally worth it! Latifah is also a really good emcee she just followed that pop and hip-house path a little to hard for my liking.

Day 29: Play something old school.

Given the appropriation of the Adidas logo on his uniform, I'm assuming the Hip Hop Trooper is a big Run-D.M.C. fan. And doing a little research on him, it looks like he's used his powers for good and not evil through raising money for charity.

Run-D.M.C. ~ Raising Hell

IMG_0559.jpeg

Day 30: I think we can all agree that the Star Wars prequels would have been better in this alternate universe. Play an something that features outtakes / b-sides / alternates
1000011235.jpg
Ice Cube "Bootlegs & B-Sides"
Probably bought this for the remix to Check Yo Self which was just Cube rhyming over The Message, that shit was fire back in the day!

Day 30: I think we can all agree that the Star Wars prequels would have been better in this alternate universe. Play an something that features outtakes / b-sides / alternates.

Two LPs worth of killer B material that most bands would enthusiastically claim as A material...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Barbed Wire Kisses (B-Sides And More)

IMG_6343.jpeg

Last edited:
Back