Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 26: The 'Clickers' in the Last Of Us are victims of a fungal infection of the brain. Play something that references Nature
1000011145.jpg
Naughty by NATURE "S/T"
References naughty nature or at least I assume that's what this album is about, it's been a while! Some days you just gotta reach a little further than you really should!

Day 24: Play an album that took a while for you to find

Back in the CD trading days, Neil Youngs archives / outtakes were the stuff of legend. There were rumors of albums like Chrome Dreams, Islands in the Sun, Homegrown and this album, but no solid confirmation of what was on them. People would trade bootlegs of approximations of the albums based off interviews over the years, but the actual releases remained elusive.

This album and song in particular had a long history. The full album was recorded in a single night in 1976 and turned down by the label for release. The title song didn't get a live debut until 1992 where it was played in a few shows. It then disappeared again, didn't get performed until 1 show in 2003 where (if memory serves) it was dedicated to someone who was supposed to be there, but had passed away. Then went away until it got re-recorded for Le Noise and played nightly on that tour. Other classic songs like Campaigner, Pocahantas, Powderfinger would show up on subsequent albums as well.

Thankfully Neil has been opening up the archives, and released the original sessions on this album 41 years after the actual recording.

Neil Young ~ Hitchhiker

IMG_0538.jpeg

Day 16:
Play something you'd have as a soundtrack at a party.

I hate parties and gatherings - get out of my house.

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – Trout Mask Replica
Reprise Records – 2MS 2027, 1969/1977

Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Jacksonville

8HXHPkV.jpg

cAZetgL.jpg

Day 17:
Play something that wouldn't feel out of place at a Doctors office. Or play something that you can tie to your favorite Doctor from Doctor Who.

I'm not the Dr. Who fan in this house. My daughter was watching the show when she was 7 and drew this picture. (she's 18 now)

Screenshot 2024-08-18 201110.png

Matt Smith was always her favorite Dr., though.

Steven Price – Last Night In Soho (Original Motion Picture Score)
Mondo – MOND-236, 2021

Mondo website exclusive on Purple and Yellow vinyl

Pressed at GZ

56qbAE.jpg

jACoyU.jpg

Looks like I may have to finish this challenge next month. I'm currently locked in a room away from the turntable, trying to keep the covfefe away from my family. ☹️

Sorry to hear it and hope its a mild case! Let me know if I can spin anything by proxy for you!

Back