Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 13: Play something with some powerful drums.

Underworld ~ Tonight Alive
This is my #1 favorite album of all time. One of the main reason is the drumming from the animal himself Matty Best. One of the reasons I love this album is the drums. They add so much to it adding depth to an album where it was so deep for me. I also had Corey Taylor sign my copy since he is featured on the closing track.

1723594652587.png

Day 11: Play something that leaves you emotionally spent.

Sorry for the streaming again (although I'm only streaming things I have on vinyl), I've had to be in my office on campus and away from my collection for the start of the semester.

Damien Rice - I

This album still does it for me every time.
Screenshot_2024-08-14-10-03-58-60_05744ec5f290d57c8d661ef31c5cf064.jpg

Day 13: Play something with some powerful drums.

Can't let this powerhouse go unrepresented...

Sleater-Kinney - Live In Paris

View attachment 211153

On the Thursday of Comic Con this year I went straight from the con to seeing Quasi in a small club. Long day, but well worth it to see Janet in action again.

Day 14: Play something that blew you away the first time you heard it

I usually don't go searching for upgrades on releases, but picked up the Analogue Productions version of this album based on discussion here. Its a fantastic release, the clarity blows me away every time and I imagine its what it sounded like in the studio.

Doors ~ L.A. Woman

IMG_0346.jpeg

Day 11: Play something that leaves you emotionally spent.

Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
IMG_6861.jpeg

The 5 year anniversary of Dave Berman’s passing just came and went. I was ecstatic when this album dropped as it felt like a new beginning for one of my favorite songwriters but alas it turned out to be his suicide note and as such it makes every listen contemplative and somber even if Berman’s clever and witty make me chuckle a bit in between tear drops.

Day 12: Play an album or artist that has become the subject of a book or movie, or something that had a multimedia rollout.

Primus - Tales From The Punchbowl
IMG_6862.jpeg

The Multimedia Rollout reminded me of Enhanced CDs. Remember those? You would get a CD and then a bonus disc that would include art/lyrics/videos/etc… in the nascent days of the internet? They were never something that was essential but it fun to break out at least once or twice. The CD version of Tales From The Punchbowl included one that had a PC Game on it.
IMG_6860.jpeg

Day 9: Play a collaboration, the more unexpected the better.

Trans-Canada Highwaymen "Explosive Hits Vol. 1" (2023 Pheromone Recordings)
Supergroup of Canadian musicians including Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies), Mo Berg (The Pursuit of Happiness), Chris Murphy (Sloan) and Craig Northey (Odds). Playing covers of Canadian radio hits from the 60's and 70's . Fun stuff.

IMG_0730.JPG

Day 15: The Padres (like all San Diego Teams it seems) can never quite reach a championship. Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't
1000010928.jpg
Freestyle Fellowship "Innercity Griots"

Maybe it was just me listening to too much underground rap music looking for something to break the chokehold knock off Dre clones had on rap music at the time but I really thought this was new, innovative and funky enough to break through, it never did! I still love this record and it's incredible diversity, so many styles all on one record.

Day 15: The Padres (like all San Diego Teams it seems) can never quite reach a championship. Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't

The Bobby Lees had one of the best live shows I saw in 2023, and it seemed like their career was taking off. Sold out shows, Keanu Reeves was at the show I was at to see them, Jason Momoa gave them finanical and social media support as well. But as it turns out with streaming, self-promotion, etc. they were losing money and continuing wasn't sustainable and went on hiatus at the end of last year. Interesting article follows with more details. I don't always buy a shirt at shows anymore, but I will always pick up a record if they have it.

The Bobby Lees ~ Bellvue

IMG_0352.jpeg

Day 15: Play something by a band that you think should have made it big, but didn't.

Gang Of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness
IMG_6879.jpeg

These guys were about a decade too late to the Indie Rock Party. Had they released this album in the mid 2000s it woulda been massive. They’re the amalgamation of Springsteen, The National, U2 with a heartthrob lead singer to boot. Timing is everything.

Back