Restocks/Represses

depends on how their own numbers go -- from storf's comments on the discord, basically no one believed chalino would do numbers and it sold fucking hard gangbusters numbers, so everyone on the business side had an eyebrow-raising moment where their eyes suddenly had little dollar signs instead of pupils. if craft does alright on what's there -- which they will, it's not like there's a lot of chalino in the US, so it's this or nothing unless you want to import it -- then they'll do more.

depends on how their own numbers go -- from storf's comments on the discord, basically no one believed chalino would do numbers and it sold fucking hard gangbusters numbers, so everyone on the business side had an eyebrow-raising moment where their eyes suddenly had little dollar signs instead of pupils. if craft does alright on what's there -- which they will, it's not like there's a lot of chalino in the US, so it's this or nothing unless you want to import it -- then they'll do more.
cf, disney with gay days, cruise ships with gay cruises -- when they realized there was a market with disposable income they weren't money from, they broke out those rainbow flags PDQ. cf also the music industry when they started using soundscan and realized country and hip hop were also pushing numbers. I imagine the meeting went something like "you mean rednecks and black people like music too? holy shit why are we letting small labels make money off this shit?" they just realized latinos are willing to be stupid with vinyl prices too, not just pop stuff like selena and shakira or whatever.

cf, disney with gay days, cruise ships with gay cruises -- when they realized there was a market with disposable income they weren't money from, they broke out those rainbow flags PDQ. cf also the music industry when they started using soundscan and realized country and hip hop were also pushing numbers. I imagine the meeting went something like "you mean rednecks and black people like music too? holy shit why are we letting small labels make money off this shit?" they just realized latinos are willing to be stupid with vinyl prices too, not just pop stuff like selena and shakira or whatever.
I’m confused. How do you think soundscan proved country and hip hop moved records? Those records were sold before too? All soundscan did was create a mechanism to account for what left the door versus what sat on the shelf.

I’m confused. How do you think soundscan proved country and hip hop moved records? Those records were sold before too? All soundscan did was create a mechanism to account for what left the door versus what sat on the shelf.
before soundscan those genres were not on top ten lists in any numbers that really counted -- your mega stars like that achy breaky dickhead, sure but the rest of the ecosystem that showed that there was a serious appetite in the US for that music was very much misrepresented and not at all in the public consciousness; same w/ rap and hip hop -- gangsta rap gets on the news with congress scapegoating them about the decline of western civilization or whatever, but the rest of the spectrum was essentially invisible and not at all on the air or in the media. That's why music that today is considered foundational, classics -- not just gangsta stuff, but diverse and sorta out there stuff like 3 ft high and rising or low end theory -- was at the time essentially invisible if you weren't already a fan.

This isn't conjecture on my part, btw, there's hard data on this: How SoundScan Changed Everything We Knew About Popular Music
Next SoundScan revelation: Hard rock and heavy metal were way more popular than anybody thought. Same deal with alternative rock, R&B, and most vitally, rap and country. In June 1991, N.W.A’s second album, Efil4zaggin, hit no. 1 after debuting at no. 2 the previous week. That September, Garth Brooks’s third album, the eventually 14-times-platinum Ropin’ the Wind, debuted at no. 1, the week after Metallica’s eventually 16-times-platinum self-titled Black Album debuted there. In early January 1992, Nirvana’s Nevermind, released in September ’91, replaced MJ’s Dangerous in the no. 1 spot, a generational bellwether described at the time by Billboard itself as an “astonishing palace coup.”

before soundscan those genres were not on top ten lists in any numbers that really counted -- your mega stars like that achy breaky dickhead, sure but the rest of the ecosystem that showed that there was a serious appetite in the US for that music was very much misrepresented and not at all in the public consciousness; same w/ rap and hip hop -- gangsta rap gets on the news with congress scapegoating them about the decline of western civilization or whatever, but the rest of the spectrum was essentially invisible and not at all on the air or in the media.

This isn't conjecture on my part, btw, there's hard data on this: How SoundScan Changed Everything We Knew About Popular Music
All I’m saying is that shit moved before soundscan… soundscan changed how the charts showed their movement. The gatekeepers had to acknowledge it.

All I’m saying is that shit moved before soundscan… soundscan changed how the charts showed their movement. The gatekeepers had to acknowledge it.
sure it moved, but let's not front like major label access doesn't affect that too, especially in the days of brick and mortar and actual shelfspace being a consideration. sure you could've bought some chalino records last year, if you'd known about them and if you knew where to get 'em and if you didn't mind spending extra money for 'em because they're hard to find. access means numbers. pre-internet-instant-access-to-all-music-ever-anytime, this was even more of a consideration.

like, of course this stuff still moved -- 3 feet and low end got made and were instant classics and people loved 'em, after all -- but they weren't on pop radio. you weren't hearing madonna followed by jenifa taught me on the radio.

Last edited:

Spendy but it’s 3 LPs

Spendy but it’s 3 LPs
I've gotten jaded because $45 for a 3 LP seems cheap these days.

Spendy but it’s 3 LPs
Hmmm I’ve got the mov 2lp, so I’m skipping it but it’s a good album

Spendy but it’s 3 LPs
PBC will likely have it

Back