Restocks/Represses

Only want Siamese Dream and ordered from Target a couple days ago for quite a bit less, but it went to backorder with a date next week. AS would cost me another $20 at least to get free shipping. I am so cheap. :ROFLMAO:

Crazy to see some of the titles/how much theyre increasing. I figured $3-5 per record, but $10/15?? That’ll have me buying even more CDs lol
Yeah, I don’t like it but looking at the secondary market I understand it. Why leave that much extra dough for flippers especially when all their expenses have gone up with the rise in inflation.

Sheesh, this seems significant. $10 price increase for some items… Might be worth buying some stuff that you may have been holding off on sooner rather than later.

You know, this guy says they make "about a dollar" on new vinyl and no one makes money on new vinyl, but so many of the "big boy" indie record stores like Criminal and Grimey's are like 90% new vinyl with a paltry (sad) used section and a few collector pieces gathering dust behind the counter. Conversely, most of the stores I know of that are 90% used vinyl are the ones that typically go under more frequently. So which is it>

You know, this guy says they make "about a dollar" on new vinyl and no one makes money on new vinyl, but so many of the "big boy" indie record stores like Criminal and Grimey's are like 90% new vinyl with a paltry (sad) used section and a few collector pieces gathering dust behind the counter. Conversely, most of the stores I know of that are 90% used vinyl are the ones that typically go under more frequently. So which is it>
I’m not sure about those bigger stores, but all of the locals by me seem to rely on used stuff for making money. Maybe those bigger stores can rely on bringing in more than just vinyl collectors? I’m really not sure

@MikeH already got a shipping notice for the Jack Johnsons!!
Nice! I didn't yet but hope it happens soon!

giphy.gif

Within minutes of panic ordering the Smashing Pumpkins albums from AS I got a charge from MusicDirect for both albums lol

Time to cancel those AS orders. The race to grab vinyl these days can be a real hassle!
The order I placed on Music Direct for Mellon Collie still says backordered, so hopefully they'll see my email before it fulfills.

Agreed. The chains as well: Bull Moose and Newburys around me have no or ok used selections but new is constantly stocked, and they're succeeding (for now at least).

My gut says that that stores relying on new stock are those where they've built to a scale where those $1, $2, $5 profits on new records add up in volume. In the video Toad Hall cited $1 profit on some RSD titles but, on the other hand, RSD titles have to be some of the easiest of the year to rack up. Huge foot traffic, loose wallets, ability to also sell online later - yeah if you only make $1 on the Taylor Swift 7" that's not as much as you'd make on your used stock but it's guaranteed to sell. It's tougher with more obscure titles and predicting allocations but I think about 95% of my local store's RSD stock was gone by the end of the weekend this year and the number of "long term resident" titles are low. Similarly with new titles. You'll have some long term residents but I can't imagine selling a Kanye West record is a particularly risky proposition for most stores. Margins might be a lot bigger on used titles but that buyer appearing locally? My local store has a primo Tracy Chapman on the wall for high end Discogs prices, and the Twilight OST for mid-range Discogs prices (for the title). They're eventually going to make a pretty penny on that but I'd wager if they happened to repress Tracy or Twilight, the store might make just as much money on new sales of those before they find the buyer who walked into a Manchester, NH record store and drops several hundred dollars on Bella and Edward's Musical Adventure.

I also have a bit of a theory that Discogs/Ebay/Reddit have eaten up those mid-range used vinyl titles that Record Stores would actually flip well. The ones around me pay a pittance for trade-ins and when I'm looking at my box of things I might have traded into a record store, I'm still usually better off doing it myself online even if I'm offering a fairly big discount relative to the price a record store would sell at, even with shipping/fees/packaging. And if I'm seeing that and that my primary trade-in options are $1-$10 records otherwise...even if they give me pennies, there's only so much profit they will pull off of that. I just sold something like 15 records the other day. I probably gave a 30% discount off of lowest comparable Discogs copies to the buyers (when I consider fees, shipping costs, etc. of all of it)...and I came out way ahead of what a local store would've given me in credit or cash.

Back