The Blue Note Thread

Donald Byrd’s Electric Bird would be an awesome Tone Poet. I’ve always liked the cover art.
Agreed!
It’s a harder to get record too.
Found a VG+ copy of the 1996 press in a shop up in St Paul, MN last fall.
It was $40, so I passed, as I believed it was a digital source...not sure of the truth to that.

Sort of regret not grabbing it, and it very likely could still be there.
But a Tone Poet release would be hugely welcomed over here.
Love that first track to death.
It’s prime psychedelic jazz.

There's still one that Blue Note needs to make a Tone Poet. Street Singer with Tina Brooks and Jackie McLean. Only released in Japan.

Unlikely, as half the session is released on Jackie's Bag, and the Classic mono version can still be found for a not too bad price.

I was thinking we'd be okay on the Classics line as they're pressed at Optimal in Germany. Well, now the titles after the two coming out this month are all TBA. March was supposed to have Moanin' and Soul Station as the two releases.

interesting to note this ones pressed at Furnace. Same as the VMP Ambrose which was different from Blue Note's pressings.
Any idea where does BN usually presses their recent releases? RTI?

Ooooh, that Don Cherry would be nice!
Really good, I bought it for an ok price from Superfly. They had a load the sold in one go months ago and I picked up the Cherry and Freddie Redd out of the bunch. There were more I would have got but they were on the pricier side.

Word on the street is that Target will be having a buy-3-get-1-free sale starting Sunday. Just saw a listing there for the Lee Morgan box set, list price $288.99. If it's part of the sale, that would be a great time to buy for anyone thinking about picking this up.

Word on the street is that Target will be having a buy-3-get-1-free sale starting Sunday. Just saw a listing there for the Lee Morgan box set, list price $288.99. If it's part of the sale, that would be a great time to buy for anyone thinking about picking this up.

I am guessing that is a placeholder listing. Expect, given the pressing backlog and capacity reductions, it wont be out anywhere near that date.

They also have the Art Blakey Witch Doctor Tone Poet

And the upcoming Dexter Gordon Tone Poet:

Probably going to pair those two with another Tone Poet to bring the cost down to $19 each after the discount.

They also have the Art Blakey Witch Doctor Tone Poet

And the upcoming Dexter Gordon Tone Poet:

Probably going to pair those two with another Tone Poet to bring the cost down to $19 each after the discount.

Does Target list/allow preorder on these sales ?

They allow it on preorders but go in knowing that there's a high probability they will cancel your preorder. The Rajah, Waiting Game, and Byrd In Flight were all preorders I made back during the fall sale that got cancelled. Though, I got Bass On Top and Tender Moments which I also preordered so it's a mixed bag.

I plan on preordering the Chet Baker reissues that are coming in March.

They allow it on preorders but go in knowing that there's a high probability they will cancel your preorder. The Rajah, Waiting Game, and Byrd In Flight were all preorders I made back during the fall sale that got cancelled. Though, I got Bass On Top and Tender Moments which I also preordered so it's a mixed bag.

I plan on preordering the Chet Baker reissues that are coming in March.
I have only had one cancelled, but a bunch delayed. And they don't charge until they ship.

I have only had one cancelled, but a bunch delayed. And they don't charge until they ship.
My experience was similar. I've had a Nina Simone LP and a couple of delayed Tone Poet LPs canceled, but twice with the Tone Poets, I've called up and complained when they came back in stock, and Target gave me the sub-$20 price I would have paid if my original order had gone through. The only item I've actually missed out on and found a little difficult to track down at a discounted price was the Simone. All in all, I've ordered 25+ BN 80s, BN Classics, Tone Poets, and Acoustic Sounds Series since I first saw one of these B2G1 deals at Target back in fall 2019, and I've received what I was hoping for in nearly every case; that's hard to beat.

Last edited:
Like @Matt M, I've only had one cancellation I can recall; in all other cases I've received the pre-orders I've placed during the sales. In fact, just yesterday I received A Study in Brown, which I'd pre-ordered on October 11 and for which I had to approve numerous delays. Works for me!

Well, my first two BN remasters are here from Amz today. No defects so far that I see (sign of the cross), individually packed in album mailers and a second larger box (but no packing). If the BN 80th Into Somethin' is any indication they sound great! I hope someone from the Capitol crew, Kevin, etc. might read this and know how appreciative someone like me is for this opportunity to have some of these.

20210205_142624.jpg

Last edited:
Back