The Blue Note Thread

Not releasing Sonic Boom as a separate release? Hm.
Fortunately. Sonic Boom isn't a long lost sleeper great record. It's a miss. David Newman isn't on top form and in any event was an experiment that didn't work - hence the recording being rejected.

However, the 45rpm BN branded record adapter - a 0.4 cent bonus - seems fairly essential.

BTW, I do have the King pressing of Sonic Boom. It hasn't been off the shelf in about 15 years, so maybe I should give it another chance.

Or, maybe not.

not sure about that first statement....artwork is subjective, but SQ is very good on the LT series which by default are all AAA albums, although I do not own Sonic Boom, but if that one is not great maybe its the tape or an off day for Rudy...any one have the Japanese GXF/GXK press of this as it would be the same tape...
It is subjective but I feel confident in saying that most people would see any of the LT series artwork as lesser when put alongside the earlier BN releases from Reid Miles. I've copied the Sonic Boom image below. Not exactly awe inspiring.

Just to reiterate, I didn't say that the sound quality is bad, just that it doesn't stand out as being something of note. At least to me on my system. I'm fortunate enough to have original pressings of almost all of Morgan's albums and did a deep dive a few years back, listening to each one in order. By the time I got to the LT releases I had already listened to all of the great Van Gelder releases so I guess there was always going to be an ever so slight drop. Regardless, I think its a decent album for them to be giving a proper treatment too, and if they do work some magic, all the better for us!

1729241836268.png

Back