The National

Yeah honestly I’ve gotten tired of critics in general. If they don’t like it, it doesn’t really matter. I have read many opinions from fans online and they are all over the place. To me, knowing what went into making it and what it’s about, it sounds like a deeply personal album. I’m coming at it from a certain angle in the hopes of appreciating it more. I don’t think any single has been bad, but I do like some more than others.

My latest update:

The long sleeve lyric tee, spotify green should be delivered tomorrow via USPS, along with the CT w/ Weird Goodbyes flexi via UPS. Red indie from Brooklyn Vegan has no estimated delivery date yet (It's coming from Ambler, PA, so shouldn't take too long) Still nothing on Magnolia turquoise.
(I think that fanatics order is a Knicks tee that husband ordered!)

ETA: Just got another shipping notification which I think may be the turquoise.
View attachment 173143
My red copy shipped today too. Not sure when anything is officially arriving yet.no word on my turquoise one either.

Last edited:
Totally forgot I pre-ordered the indie copy from my local. Hopefully I have time to grab it this weekend because the CT edition won't arrive until the 4th

Ok, so as genuinely excited as I was, a lot of the negative talk online made me slightly worried. But I shouldn’t have been! This is a really good album. Based on how so many people described it, I expected it to be inert, one note. But it’s really not that at all. It’s like people saying Sleep Well Beast was too slow or samey or something, when it’s like…I guess people could say that about the record but it’s pretty unfair and untrue. Just like on that one, there is plenty going on musically, even on the mellower songs. But there are also 3 tracks that amp up the energy a bit - in the moody National way. Eucalyptus, Tropic Morning News, and Grease In Your Hair (maybe the biggest surprise of the album for me - I just wish it was longer). Those songs are enough to keep things pretty varied throughout.

As for the mellow songs, some are mired in depression - evoking that feeling really beautifully, while others are very nostalgic (New Order T-Shirt is the best example of this). Ice Machines was such a highlight of the new songs they played last year. I’ve listened got the bootleg I had so many times so I can’t help but be a little disappointed in the studio version. The forward momentum is gone for something much dreamier, slower. The lyrics are still some of my favorites on the album though, it’ll take getting used t this version.

Much had already been said about The Alcott everywhere else online. I’m just sick of the way people talk about Taylor Swift and her connection to The National. It’s so dismissive and gatekeeper-y. That said, as a fan of both, I don’t think this is the strongest work by either of them. In fact, I think Coney Island on Taylor’s album Evermore is a much better song. Matt sounds so much better on that one. This one will probably grow on me though. But ya know, as far as duets go, it’s not the worst thing Matt has done with another artist.

As I reflect back on the album it’s hard to say yet how the whole of it works, but I gotta say I am not disappointed at all. There is plenty of stuff I love about this band all over the record. I was nervous I may have overplayed the singles but god they work really well when you listen through the whole album. As far as openers and closers go, the ones on this record seem very purposeful, like they are connected. But they’re also two songs that I’ll need more time with. But hey, so much of the fun of this band for me is how songs I used to not like wind up becoming some of my favorites months or years later. Hell, I just started really loving Hard To Find about a year ago, even though I always considered it a pretty weak closer. Send For Me kinda recalls SWB, but much more open musically and emotionally. I like that about it.

Still one listen in, so these are just early thoughts as I’m slowly waking up.

Also my CT white version is out for delivery today!
My CT is still processing at the UPS hub in Hamilton, NJ - it says it will be delivered today.

Green Spotify is out for delivery. My lyric tee is still "moving through network" with expected delivery today, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't come. I may drive to the PO and ask them for it if it doesn't!

Something that I don't like about this album is the song titles including (feat. [artist]) from a purely aesthetic and organizational point of view. Taylor's song is much more of a duet, so that's worth mentioning. I'll give them that one. But the other 3 I don't feel it's needed. They didn't have half the songs on IAETF labeled as (feat. [artist]) so idk why all of a sudden 4 songs havve it.

Something that I don't like about this album is the song titles including (feat. [artist]) from a purely aesthetic and organizational point of view. Taylor's song is much more of a duet, so that's worth mentioning. I'll give them that one. But the other 3 I don't feel it's needed. They didn't have half the songs on IAETF labeled as (feat. [artist]) so idk why all of a sudden 4 songs havve it.

better for streaming algorithms

better for streaming algorithms
200w.gif

Agreed, especially Sufjan. He’s barely there! He was more a feature on some HV tracks

Back