The National

I am very curious to hear what you think of the album @threesunrises
I love it. It's a very strong album, reminiscent of their earlier albums, yet it still exemplifies how their music and sound has evolved over the past 2+ decades. As I've mentioned, I was so fortunate to have been at Bearsville, so I had heard the bulk of it live, and walked away that night just blown away by what I'd heard. I've so far listened to it on Spotify thru my laptop multiple times, spun it 4 times on vinyl, and finally did the headphone listen last night. I'll put specific notes behind a spoiler tag for the benefit of those who have yet to hear it.

Once Upon a Poolside is absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely love that track, it's become one of my favorites.

I had heard Eucalyptus live three times before, yet weirdly, did not listen to the studio version much after it was released. I was at the show where Matt renamed it (used to be Moon Drop Light) and I always liked it. The lead in from Poolside is brilliant and beautiful, I adore this track now.

New Order T-Shirt took me three listens before it clicked, and then it hit me hard. It's been in high rotation for me since they released the single and I love it. My 28 yr old daughter doesn't like it, I honestly feel that it expresses a certain sense of nostalgia that you need to be of a certain age to fully appreciate.

Always liked This Isn't Helping, still do, but I prefer the more up tempo live version. I love Phoebe's voice with Matt's, and I've been fortunate to see them perform other songs together in the past.

Tropic Morning News is just a fabulous song. I first heard it live in Portland, ME last summer and immediately loved it - which is rare for me as The Nats songs are often growers.

Alien is good, not great. I think I liked it more live in Bearsville than the studio version, but I see it already growing on me.

The Alcott.... well, I have not made it a secret that I'm not a Taylor fan. The song starts out lovely, I just have this irrational dislike of her voice, and I really do not like her vocal parts. It sounds too much like a T Swift song to me. It's going to take time to warm up to it, if I ever do. (I still have never listened all of the way through Coney Island)

Grease In Your Hair - This one still needs to grow on me a bit. I don't dislike it, it just hasn't really clicked yet.

Ice Machines - really like this song a lot.

Your Mind is Not Your Friend - I love this track, musically and lyrically. Loved it at Bearsville and this the studio version is great.

Send For Me - a perfect end to the album. Lyrically gorgeous. I loved it at Bearsville.

So, there ya go... I love most of it and really like the rest.

ETA - I've tried, but I still do not like the Tay Tay duet.

Last edited:
I’m not a national super fan but I do enjoy this album. Like others have mentioned , the features could go unlisted. I know they had a challenges writing this record and even described it all just ending. Is it possible these features were “clout” in any way? The Taylor one she is more present and makes sense and also has writing credit yet the others could have been left off.

I found some of the “singles” to be hit or miss as they released, yet enjoy them much better in the context of the album.

I love it. It's a very strong album, reminiscent of their earlier albums, yet it still exemplifies how their music and sound has evolved over the past 2+ decades. As I've mentioned, I was so fortunate to have been at Bearsville, so I had heard the bulk of it live, and walked away that night just blown away by what I'd heard. I've so far listened to it on Spotify thru my laptop multiple times, spun it 4 times on vinyl, and finally did the headphone listen last night. I'll put specific notes behind a spoiler tag for the benefit of those who have yet to hear it.

Once Upon a Poolside is absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely love that track, it's become one of my favorites.

I had heard Eucalyptus live three times before, yet weirdly, did not listen to the studio version much after it was released. I was at the show where Matt renamed it (used to be Moon Drop Light) and I always liked it. The lead in from Poolside is brilliant and beautiful, I adore this track now.

New Order T-Shirt took me three listens before it clicked, and then it hit me hard. It's been in high rotation for me since they released the single and I love it. My 28 yr old daughter doesn't like it, I honestly feel that it expresses a certain sense of nostalgia that you need to be of a certain age to fully appreciate.

Always liked This Isn't Helping, still do, but I prefer the more up tempo live version. I love Phoebe's voice with Matt's, and I've been fortunate to see them perform other songs together in the past.

Tropic Morning News is just a fabulous song. I first heard it live in Portland, ME last summer and immediately loved it - which is rare for me as The Nats songs are often growers.

Alien is good, not great. I think I liked it more live in Bearsville than the studio version, but I see it already growing on me.

The Alcott.... well, I have not made it a secret that I'm not a Taylor fan. The song starts out lovely, I just have this irrational dislike of her voice, and I really do not like her vocal parts. It sounds too much like a T Swift song to me. It's going to take time to warm up to it, if I ever do. (I still have never listened all of the way through Coney Island)

Grease In Your Hair - This one still needs to grow on me a bit. I don't dislike it, it just hasn't really clicked yet.

Ice Machines - really like this song a lot.

Your Mind is Not Your Friend - I love this track, musically and lyrically. Loved it at Bearsville and this the studio version is great.

Send For Me - a perfect end to the album. Lyrically gorgeous. I loved it at Bearsville.

So, there ya go... I love most of it and really like the rest.
Happy to hear it! I do think I feel similarly to you on a lot of these songs. Strangely the two Phoebe featured songs are the ones I have connected with the least so far, though This Isn’t Helping is growing as I keep listening. I also think Grease In Your Hair is one of the best on the album. Once Upon A Poolside into Eucalyptus into New Order T-Shirt is just a stellar run of tracks. The Alcott is one I haven’t totally gelled with yet, even though I do like Taylor Swift. I just don’t love the lyrics or the way it moves. Somebody compared the sound a bit to Dark Side of the Gym, and now I can’t unhear it and I vastly prefer that song.

With Ice Machines, I still love the live version more but I enjoy the studio one. The lyrics are still really great, I just wish Matt let loose a bit more the way he does live. But I agree that all in all it’s a great album, and I do love it. I have had a lot of fun with my repeat listens. Still waiting for my two other variants, but the white one sounds pretty great. Though I will say, the Dolby Atmos mix on Apple Music sounds so so so good.

Strangely the two Phoebe featured songs are the ones I have connected with the least so far, though This Isn’t Helping is growing as I keep listening.

With Ice Machines, I still love the live version more but I enjoy the studio one. The lyrics are still really great, I just wish Matt let loose a bit more the way he does live. But I agree that all in all it’s a great album, and I do love it. I have had a lot of fun with my repeat listens. Still waiting for my two other variants, but the white one sounds pretty great. Though I will say, the Dolby Atmos mix on Apple Music sounds so so so good.
Had you listened to This Isn't Helping live before? Sped up, it's far better IMO.

Agreed about Ice Machines, live is better than studio. I love the bulk of the record, and the remainders will def grow on me. But, as I've said, I have this weird dislike of T Swift. I'm gonna try to like that track.

Had you listened to This Isn't Helping live before? Sped up, it's far better IMO.

Agreed about Ice Machines, live is better than studio. I love the bulk of the record, and the remainders will def grow on me. But, as I've said, I have this weird dislike of T Swift. I'm gonna try to like that track.
I had a bootleg show from last year where they played This Isn’t Helping. I only thought it was okay, but the sound quality was kind of bad so I only listened to it once or twice.
Am I crazy, or drunk, thinking that the studio version of This Isn't Helping reminds me of Think You Can Wait????
Wow yes, I just listened to them back to back and you are definitely right.

I'm enjoying it. I've gone through it about 3 times now over the last few days. I think the Taylor Swift song is pretty f'ing strong. I'm partial to Taylor as my oldest is a huge Swiftie and we bonded over how much we enjoy Folklore. I played her The Alcott and she said it could easily pass for a song off Evermore and she added it to her rotation on Spotify. I know people who tend to like the National aren't big on Taylor but I urge you to listen to Folklore. That's a damn National album sung by her. You can tell the influence the band has had on her. I'd argue that's one of the better albums of the last 5 years.

I was at first underwhelmed by Once Upon a Poolside as the opener but the relistens helped show how it sets the tone for the album. I think the middle is pretty damn strong. This isn't Trouble Will Find Me or High Violet. There aren't a lot of "bangers" but it's an incredibly solid and very cohesive record. The songwriting is just phenomenal throughout. I can't wait to get this on vinyl when the CT one comes in. I'm sad I can't hear this live but I'm looking forward to the Bandcamp release of the pre-recorded show. I'm very hopeful there's more material yet to come. I don't get having Weird Goodbyes be this strange one-off song. It's got a bigger purpose. I think Taylor's influence on the band is they too like to do the cryptic clues that she does for her fans. That was pretty evident in the Frankenstein book excerpts.

One listen (of the warped monstrosity I posted) and I need to listen to more. Kinda wish there were a few more uptempo songs but it feels like a grower.

In other news I may end up having to miss both portland shows next month because of work. So that would suck

My main issue with The Alcott is Taylor's voice doesn't pair well with Matt's. She has the voice of a popstar. It's too bright, too clean. Matt with Phoebe is a little better, her voice is gentler and more fragile. Even on IAETF with Mina Tindle, Gail Ann Dorsey, or Lisa Hannigan they all pair better. In the second half of the Alcott, where Taylor has little verses between their combined verses, they sound too much like a Taylor Swift song. It doesn't really feel like a National song.

Other thoughts.. Tropic Morning News is growing on me a little bit more in the album. I hated it when it was announced as a single. It's actually good now. Grease in Your Hair is the standout because of Bryan's drumming. Most songs on the album would be better with live drums. It's not a bad album but it feels so different and subdued without his drumming. Overall it's a sleepy album that could use another Tropic Morning News that injects a ton of energy. It needs one more song similar to System or Day I Die.

My main issue with The Alcott is Taylor's voice doesn't pair well with Matt's. She has the voice of a popstar.

i think they sound brilliant together, and that you use that second sentence as a criticism is just...weird - she has a natural voice

when i think of 'pop star' voices i think of modern belters in the style of ariana grande, christina aguilera, etc. etc

i think they sound brilliant together, and that you use that second sentence as a criticism is just...weird - she has a natural voice

when i think of 'pop star' voices i think of modern belters in the style of ariana grande, christina aguilera, etc. etc
I'd add it's a duet and not simply a song featuring Taylor Swift. It's Taylor Swift doing a duet with Matt with the National providing the instrumentation. I'd imagine they both wrote it. I saw someone say it's almost an answer or natural follow up to Dark Side of the Gym which she said is one of her favorite songs. It's very different from Phoebe or Sufjan just providing some background vocal accompaniment. It does sound like a Taylor Swift song but I'm not sure what's the crime in that. Cardigan and The One both sound like a National song.

I think some in the National audience just won't be open to the song because it's a pop star singing the other part. I remember the fear people seemed to have when she was announced as being on the album. All the singers mentioned above are indie singers. To me, it really says something about the influence the band had on her and the credit they give her as an artist that Aaron will repeatedly work with her and this is now Matt's 2nd song with her.

I'm telling you, put on Cardigan and imagine Matt singing it instead of Taylor. It fits perfectly. I want to wish it into existence.

When I think of pop star I think of Taylor Swift. She sounds like a pop star on a non-pop star song. Or it could be one of her slower ballads honestly.

I think some in the National audience just won't be open to the song because it's a pop star singing the other part. I remember the fear people seemed to have when she was announced as being on the album. All the singers mentioned above are indie singers. To me, it really says something about the influence the band had on her and the credit they give her as an artist that Aaron will repeatedly work with her and this is now Matt's 2nd song with her.

this i think is very, very true

Back