The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

It’s a really fun album. Something I can’t really say about any other album in their discography. Though right after Ocular Spectacular MGMT did one of my favorite things ever when they collaborated with Kid Cudi and Ratatatat on “Pursuit of Happiness”

Which led to Alt Country chanteuse, Lissie’s fantastic cover…

…that was ultimately sampled by Schooboy Q in his bad ass track “Hand On The Wheel”…

I love how music can shaped and molded from one amazing thing to another.

Pursuit of Happiness is one of those songs that brings a huge smile on my face everytime I hear it. Thanks for reminding me that that existed! It's a damn near perfect pop song!

And so is Time To Pretend and Kids. I don't care if they've been overplayed, they're still perfect. I haven't listened to the whole album that much though, and I certainly haven't listened to it in a long while. But it is a great album, from start to finish! More folksy and art-rock than I remembered. Will pick this up more often, for sure!

11/17/2023
3ed83e1c965af86610a3c951beaf8fbdcd8c72b9

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Surprisingly aged better than I thought it would... Might hit the turntable later.

4/5.

Bonus: the drummer Will is an old friend of mine, nice dude, hell of a musician.

45C867AC-171E-4189-BD9C-68AB8A8A91D6.jpeg

I absolutely adore this album. Side A is absolute perfection (even though I do think “Electric Feel” is pretty overrated) and although side b isn’t perfect, it’s still fucking great!

Everyone always talks about the big 3 songs for good reasons but album cuts like “The Youth” and the masterpiece “Of Moons, Birds and Monsters” are what really elevate this album to its legendary status

Also want to note that “Time to Pretend” is my favorite song of the 2000s and would be a solid contender for favorite song of all time. Truly a perfect pop song while also being a great tongue in cheek stab at pop songs

11/20/23
View attachment 187768
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

Great album by great people :)
I have gotten to meet and work with Chris and Tina several times on an annual CBGB tribute night. They never fail to have fantastic stories and are always very, very kind and extremely supportive of those around them. Here I am in the Mr. Noisy shirt after last year's performance.
PXL_20221219_003022848.jpg

8/5 for the album.

(The guy in the background is Dave from The Zambonis and The Leevees. They have a fantastic Tiny Desk Concert coming out soon!)

11/17/2023
3ed83e1c965af86610a3c951beaf8fbdcd8c72b9

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

When this album came out it was my absolute favorite album. I got kind of burned out on the singles though and haven't really listened to it much since. However, revisiting it I remember why I love everything about this album. I love the big reverby, space rock, psychedelic, unconventional sound to it. The songs catchy. I feel like there's twists and turns during every track. 4.5/5 for me.

11/22/23
View attachment 188016
PJ Harvey - Dry

Polly's entire debut record brims with intensity and barely suppressed tension. In particular, the droning, disturbing messages powering the likes of "Plants and Rags" and "Happy and Bleeding" are gripping.
It was undeniable that PJ Harvey was a major new talent arriving on the alt-rock and singer/songwriter scene. I don't necessarily view this as one of her absolute greatest accomplishments, but it still intense, moody, and worthwhile listen as a whole.

Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]

Back