The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

8/22/24
View attachment 211744
The Monkees - Headquarters

Does this mean there are multiple Monkees albums that we should listen to before we die?

I enjoy the Monkees (my mom was a big fan, she preferred them to The Beatles) but all anyone needs is a good Greatest Hits comp.

I don’t know and maybe I’ll look tomorrow to see if there’s more in my copy of the book.

I’ve only recently listened to their first album and I don’t think I’ve ever heard any other albums by them. I agree with you that a good comp is probably what you need for them.

This one is intriguing though because this is the album where the band asserted themselves as musicians and artists in their own right. Of course, I also don’t recognize any song titles.

"Zilch" is a fuckin' JAM!

...but then I love weird polyphonic sound poetry shit.

...and am a huge Del fan, so I lost my shit when I first heard it.

Does this mean there are multiple Monkees albums that we should listen to before we die?

I enjoy the Monkees (my mom was a big fan, she preferred them to The Beatles) but all anyone needs is a good Greatest Hits comp.
It’s the only one in the book. Pretty much for the reason I stated, that it’s the album where they took over and is pretty solid.

I know I’ve listened to The Dandy Warhols before, but I couldn’t tell you what or when. The cover to Earth looks familiar. Last.fm says I’ve listened to one song… that was definitely some playlist shenanigans. I don’t believe I’ve listened to this.

I know I’ve listened to The Dandy Warhols before, but I couldn’t tell you what or when. The cover to Earth looks familiar. Last.fm says I’ve listened to one song… that was definitely some playlist shenanigans. I don’t believe I’ve listened to this.
You know “Not Even If You’re The Last Junkie On Earth” from this album and “Bohemian Like You” from their next record.

8/23/24
View attachment 211821
The Dandy Warhols - …The Dandy Warhols Come Down

I know all their big hits but I've never actually listened to any of their albums. I'd say it was a good, catch 90's alternative album. Probably a few songs too long. I'd probably listen to it again but I'm not sure I need to make a big dive into the rest of their catalog.

8/14/24
View attachment 211148
Talking Heads - Remain in Light

One of the greatest records ever created. Angular, idiosyncratic, with polyrythmic suites aplenty. Timbre-wise, it would totally be in place with the mid-80s but it is wild that this came out at the turn of the decade.
Sounds just as fresh today as ever.

Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

Back