The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I had not read the book entry on this until today. The book frames this as a Kiss style tongue in cheek thing. I wish I had read it when I listened. I wondered if I would have thought differently about it.

I think this quote from the cover of the album is funny:
Yep, they were a bit tongue in cheek about the satanic image. Still sucked though, IMO. This is an interesting contrast to Eminem actually, who is also a somewhat tongue-in-cheek provocateur, but objectively does it brilliantly musically. Which one is actually "worse"?

The b-movie-horror-Addams-Family-esque harpsicord riff in "The Real Slim Shady" is still one of my favourite parts of any song of all time. And "Kim" is one of the most disgusting songs ever put to tape, where there are no extenuating circumstances such as "satire" or "tongue in cheek" to explain away his misogyny. It's just naked horror and blind rage. I had a lot to say about my conflicted opinion of Em when we drew his first album, and I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Back