The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

9/15/24
View attachment 213725
Sonic Youth - Sister

I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever listened to this. I have never owned it and I haven’t exactly spent a lot of time in the streaming age exploring Sonic Youth I didn’t know.

I seem to remember @TenderLovingKiller® getting an OG recently.

Did anyone listen to Randy Newman, that album is something. A warts and all exploration of the south. And he’s a master storyteller.

Randy Newman is one of those artist's artist who never got the mainstream acceptance he well deserved. Incredible songwriter and storyteller. You wouldn't be off base lumping him in the same category as Tom Waits in respect to the above. I always felt Randy had a lot in common with Dr. John in respect to content and style.

I guarantee artists like Drive-By Truckers and Lee Bains who have a deep emotional connection to the south but also the intelligence to write about its shortcomings and mistakes head-on took some cues from Randy Newman.

And if you disagree with all of the above, that's cool but you can't disagree with this...

Did anyone listen to Randy Newman, that album is something. A warts and all exploration of the south. And he’s a master storyteller.

I love the album, but it's been a few years since I've listened to it. I'll assess tomorrow and see if my copy is currently accessible.

I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever listened to this. I have never owned it and I haven’t exactly spent a lot of time in the streaming age exploring Sonic Youth I didn’t know.

I got the copy he replaced with the OG. And have enjoyed it quite a bit the twice I've listened so far. It's one of only two of their albums I'm currently familiar with.

I have listened to it and own the vinyl. I think it’s a wonderful record. Though, still makes the hair on the back of my neck when the voice behind the Toy Story theme song drops a hard “R” N-word. I understand it within the context of the song but it makes me wince if I am not paying full attention.

Yup, I added it about a year ago, and it’s one of the prized albums in my collection.

SY have an epic discography extending 15+ albums released of a quarter of a century.
You can roughly split their discography into 3 different eras; the Noise Rock beginnings, the Alternate Major Label, and the Indie elderststesmen. All three eras are great and have defining records, Sister is the defining album of their noisy first chapter. There were elements of made Sister amazing in Bad Moon Rising, and EVOL, the two album the directly preceding Sister but Sister is where they refine the noise into something closer to traditional song structure while keep the dissonance in the forfront. Sister is not my favorite SY album but it still a brilliant album from beginning to end.

I have listened to it and own the vinyl. I think it’s a wonderful record. Though, still makes the hair on the back of my neck when the voice behind the Toy Story theme song drops a hard “R” N-word. I understand it within the context of the song but it makes me wince if I am not paying full attention.
I think that’s the point though, no? I mean the word has always made me wince, even when Cube says it with no R.

Yup, I added it about a year ago, and it’s one of the prized albums in my collection.

SY have an epic discography extending 15+ albums released of a quarter of a century.
You can roughly split their discography into 3 different eras; the Noise Rock beginnings, the Alternate Major Label, and the Indie elderststesmen. All three eras are great and have defining records, Sister is the defining album of their noisy first chapter. There were elements of made Sister amazing in Bad Moon Rising, and EVOL, the two album the directly preceding Sister but Sister is where they refine the noise into something closer to traditional song structure while keep the dissonance in the forfront. Sister is not my favorite SY album but it still a brilliant album from beginning to end.
I’ve never heard a Sonic Youth album that I didn’t think was worth listening to. They are a band that if their entire discography was in the list, I’d be like “okay!”

Randy Newman was great! Master storyteller!

Sister is my third of fourth favorite Sonic Youth album. It has "Kotton Crown" which is one of those songs that I occasionally get obsessed by and play on repeat. But for the sake of this list, I don't really see a point to include both this and EVOL as they are pretty similar in style (the same goes for Dirty and Goo btw). Anyway, nobody asked for it, but here's how I rate all of Sonic Youths official studio albums as of my mood today:

1. Dirty
2. Daydream Nation
3. Goo
4. Sister
5. Rather Ripped
6. EVOL
7. Washing Machine
8. Sonic Nurse
9. Confusion is Sex
10. Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star
11. A Thousand Leaves
12. Bad Moon Rising
13. Murray Street
14 The Eternal
15. NYC Ghosts and Flowers
16. Sonic Youth

All of them are worth a listen though, but only the first two feels relevant for this book IMO (ok, maybe Sister or EVOL too).

Randy Newman was great! Master storyteller!

Sister is my third of fourth favorite Sonic Youth album. It has "Kotton Crown" which is one of those songs that I occasionally get obsessed by and play on repeat. But for the sake of this list, I don't really see a point to include both this and EVOL as they are pretty similar in style (the same goes for Dirty and Goo btw). Anyway, nobody asked for it, but here's how I rate all of Sonic Youths official studio albums as of my mood today:

1. Dirty
2. Daydream Nation
3. Goo
4. Sister
5. Rather Ripped
6. EVOL
7. Washing Machine
8. Sonic Nurse
9. Confusion is Sex
10. Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star
11. A Thousand Leaves
12. Bad Moon Rising
13. Murray Street
14 The Eternal
15. NYC Ghosts and Flowers
16. Sonic Youth

All of them are worth a listen though, but only the first two feels relevant for this book IMO (ok, maybe Sister or EVOL too).
Good ranking. But Daydream Nation is NUMBER 1!

Back