The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

The next two albums are great! Janet and The Velvet Rope.

My plan after control was to jump into Velvet Rope but the album length and all the interludes deterred me. Giving this a chance makes me more open to giving her other albums a chance. Especially since the interludes and the length weren’t as big of negatives as I was expecting

My plan after control was to jump into Velvet Rope but the album length and all the interludes deterred me. Giving this a chance makes me more open to giving her other albums a chance. Especially since the interludes and the length weren’t as big of negatives as I was expecting
Janet was great too. When That album was released Janet was probably at the height of her popularity. The movie, Poetic Justice, was released the same year and the album singles were everywhere. It’s R&B with a 90s pop sensibility that flirts with hip-hop. There were NINE singles released from Janet stretching from 1993 all the way to the beginning of 1995.

Don’t be intimidated by the number of tracks about half are interludes that are less than a minute in length.

My intro to Meat Puppets was by way of Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged. Kurt introduced me to a lot of bands I love. This record is fantastic but they’ve made a lot of great music. Curt Kirkwood has such a distinct guitar tone that every Meat Puppets song sounds only like Meat Puppets.

This has been a great week! Kings of Leon was a good reminder of a once great band. 4 stars!

Don't know why but I actually hadn't listened to that Lorde album before! I've listened a lot to Pure Heroine and Solar Power though. It was just as good as I expected. 4 stars!

I hadn't heard The Cars debut album the whole way through like this before either, but it's just perfect power pop from start to finish! 5 stars!

I remember that I bought Black Cat as a single when it came out, which was quite a leap for this metal head back then. It is a great song to this day! I have listened to Rhytm Nation the album before too, but I can't remember the context. Might have picked it up used on CD a couple of years later. Still holds up fine, and I actually enjoy the late 80's production on this! 4 stars!

Then finally Meat Puppets. I also discovered them after Unplugged with Nirvana, like so many others. This is such a sublime album, which is a weird way to describe punk rock. But it is sublime. It's raw, melodic, weird, melancholic and fun, often simultaneously. I just finished reading Mark Yarms grunge book (a good read btw!) and one thing I had almost forgot about Nirvana (and most other bands in the Seattle scene too) was that they were fun! Kurts lyrics often had a great, dark and sardonic sense of humour, which is often overlooked today when we discuss Kurt as this icon of depression, drugs and angst. Listening to Meat Puppets today reminded me once more of this, as you can clearly hear how influenced Kurt was of the quirky, pure, fun vibe of this band. This is their best album in my opinion, and it's been way too long since I last heard it! 5 stars!

Back