The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

7/3/24
View attachment 207569
Radiohead - Amnesiac

This album is excellent but it will always play second fiddle to Kid A (and it should). Still, I applaud the band for realizing that they were on such a roll that they needed to officially release these extra track as an official release.

I think I'm in the minority who enjoys this album slightly more than Kid A.

I don’t think it’s as much of a minority as you think. This album is definitely more accessible initially and has always had people who prefer it to Kid A which can be a bit more challenging. I’ve always felt the pay off with Kid A was much greater and that the core songs are just stronger but I can definitely see the other point of view.

Correct that I'm a minority? Or correct that this album is slightly better?
The minority. It feels like a contrarian take.

I am not saying you’re being disingenuous I just think some folks have an affinity for going against the grain. Both albums are excellent and it would be interesting if Kid A didn’t exist how Amnesiac would stack up against the rest of their discography but you can read a review that doesn’t mention Amnesiac at all while Kid A is always the main discussion point of Amnesiac.

I am not saying you’re being disingenuous I just think some folks have an affinity for going against the grain. Both albums are excellent and it would be interesting if Kid A didn’t exist how Amnesiac would stack up against the rest of their discography but you can read a review that doesn’t mention Amnesiac at all while Kid A is always the main discussion point of Amnesiac.
I was careful to say that I enjoy it more than Kid A. Kid A is obviously great and I enjoy that one as well. I just really like "Pyramid Song" and "Like Spinning Plates" and the dark, brooding version of Morning Bell.

Most reviews of Kid A were written before Amnesiac existed and they are intertwined, so after the fact it makes sense to talk about both.

Seems like Rolling Stone thinks Amnesiac is better but I haven’t finished the review yet. It could have a M Night Shyamalan twist for all I know.

Eldest is over tonight. I don’t foresee that happening to night (might have to do it soon though) - I don’t think I even ever listened to the bonus disc.
The bonus disc is a little meh. Ironically enough the only time I listened to it is when my Schiit Mani was on the frtiz (as I had mentioned in the Darlington thread) and at that point I thought it was just a weird artistic choice to have the music so heavily panned to one channel

Back