The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 8 - LORAN brand tapes
The company Loran made cassettes that were as tough as they get. Their outer shells were extra strong and heat-resistant. The tape material itself was not thought of as being very good for making quality recordings however.
Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

I'll add One Big Holiday to the mixtape.

IMG_9635.JPG

Day 9 - Sound bites and interludes
Did you add sound bites or various interludes to your mixes? I used to find ways to record various soundbites out of my favorite films to add quirk to a mix. I remember spending quite some time trying to lift the “Let me tell you about my mother” line off a Blade Runner VHS. I plugged the VCR audio out into the auxiliary in of my receiver and timed the button presses to get the precise bite I wanted onto cassette, to then dub that into the mixtape. Making these mixtapes was a serious art form that took effort, but so fun.
Play something that includes sound bites, dialogue, spoken interludes or short interlude tracks.

9th and Hennepin came to mind first, so that'll work nicely.

IMG_9639.JPG

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Yes and yes...

The Doors - L.A. Woman

IMG_6461.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 14 - The single band mixtape
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist. Alternatively, if you ever created one of these mixtapes, play an album by the artist featured on that mixtape.

David Bowie "ChangesOneBowie"
(1976 RCA; 2016 reissue)
So a David Bowie hits record to meet the prompt challenge. "Fame" fits perfectly with the how the mixtape is shaping up. There's also another reason for picking this track. Turns out, as you might guess, that one band I used to make single band mixtape compiling 12" records and b-sides was Duran Duran. The first time I heard "Fame" was as a b-side by Duran Duran from their "Careless Memories" 12" - released in the era of their first album. I remember thinking how great the song was and wondering why it wasn't on the album. It turns out it was my gateway into Bowie as I discovered where it was from. An d the last reason for choosing this is that it seems like everyone is adding Bowie to their mix, so I'm going to as well.

IMG_1839.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"

Day 14 - The single band mixtape
Play a greatest hits or compilation album of a single artist.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits
IMG_9322.jpeg
I have most of Petty’s studio albums on vinyl but as far as cassettes go this is all I have and I break it out a decent amount as it’s a fantastic compilation but also features the phenomenal “Mary Jane’s Last Dance”.

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Led Zeppelin III - 800 versions in Discogs
Right now I am adding "Immigrant Song" to my mix but for the final mix that may switch to "Tangerine" if I need something more mellow.
IMG_0510.jpeg

Day 11 - The pencil & the cassette
Everyone that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s is very familiar with the relationship between a cassette tape and a pencil. Those born later, maybe not.
Play something with album art that has hand-written or drawn elements, preferably with pencil. (Yes, I know, the pencil is not for drawing on cassettes. For shits and giggles, you can also stick a pencil into the spindle hole of your record and spin it around if it makes you feel better.)

Blockhead - Uncle Tony's Coloring Book

For the cover, and the grooves...

Track "Coloring Book"

1000152112.jpg

Day 10 - The Walkman
“Walkman. It’s like a stereo. Play your own cassette tapes.” (Super 8, directed by JJ Abrams, 2011)
Released in 1979, that iconic yellow plastic Sony Walkman is essentially the first truly portable music player where you are the DJ, and is just as responsible as anything else for the success of the cassette – and mixtapes – during the 80’s and 90’s. Did you own one? Or a clone?
Play something that goes well with a walk, run or workout.

I usually like something funky for walks and/or workouts.

IMG_9645.JPG

Day 11 - The pencil & the cassette
Everyone that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s is very familiar with the relationship between a cassette tape and a pencil. Those born later, maybe not.
Play something with album art that has hand-written or drawn elements, preferably with pencil.

IMG_9646.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo
Joni Mitchell - Nancy Whiskey

Day 12 - The world music mix
Music of the soul” – Winston, as he hands over a mix CD containing tracks from Mulatu Astatke and other Ethiopian artists to his neighbor Don Johnston, who is about to embark on a quest to find the son he just found out about, Broken Flowers (directed by Jim Jarmusch, 2005).
Play something by an artist that is anything other than from an English-speaking country, or that is in a language other than English
IMG_9647 2.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo