The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 15 - That extra space on the tape
Play an album with a great side-1 ender track

No Alternative - Nirvana - Sappy (Verse Chorus Verse)
A bit of a cheat here. CDs in the 90s were the heyday of unlisted/untitled tracks. Nirvana closes out this amazing compilation with a wonderful little number. I loved to put songs like this on tapes, also unlisted in the list of song titles. But since there is only 1 side to a CD and this does close that side, then it fits the prompt
IMG_0507.jpeg

Day 14 - The single band mixtape
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist. Alternatively, if you ever created one of these mixtapes, play an album by the artist featured on that mixtape.

Hitting the end of side one you need to get some familiar tracks back to close it out. Lots to choose from here, but going with Dreams as it ups the energy a bit leading into whatever the last track is going to be.

The Cranberries ~ Dreams: The Collection

IMG_0960.jpeg

Day 12 - The world music mix
Music of the soul” – Winston, as he hands over a mix CD containing tracks from Mulatu Astatke and other Ethiopian artists to his neighbor Don Johnston, who is about to embark on a quest to find the son he just found out about, Broken Flowers (directed by Jim Jarmusch, 2005).
Play something by an artist that is anything other than from an English-speaking country, or that is in a language other than English.

Parannoul - After the Magic

In Korean... I'm going to add the track "We Shine at Night" to my mix.

20230916_153308-jpg.190344

Last edited:
Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Hey Ricky, what'd you do this weekend?
Well, Friday night I stood outside your window - in the pouring rain - screaming your name for several hours. And then I spent all of Saturday and Sunday making you this great "Janey I've Been Desperately Trying To Tell You That I Am Madly In Love With You" ummmm... Mix Tape for your birthday.
A mix tape? Awwwww that's so sweet Ricky. See you in English.” Janey takes mixtape and adds to stack of many others Ricky has already given her, Not Another Teen Movie (directed by Joel Galen, 2001).
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times

I have two junky copies, and this mediocre copy. I could stand an upgrade.

IMG_9652.JPG

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Hey Ricky, what'd you do this weekend?
Well, Friday night I stood outside your window - in the pouring rain - screaming your name for several hours. And then I spent all of Saturday and Sunday making you this great "Janey I've Been Desperately Trying To Tell You That I Am Madly In Love With You" ummmm... Mix Tape for your birthday.
A mix tape? Awwwww that's so sweet Ricky. See you in English.” Janey takes mixtape and adds to stack of many others Ricky has already given her, Not Another Teen Movie (directed by Joel Galen, 2001).
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Magdalena Bay - Mercurial World (Deluxe Edition)

A deluxe edition with bonus tracks and interludes worked into the original tracklist, instead of tacked onto the end.

Track "You Lose!"

20231007_135834-jpg.184121

Day 15: That Extra Space on the Tape

St. Vincent
- Masseduction

IMG_8981.jpeg

Happy Birthday, Johnny” is an absolute tearjerker and is still one of my favourite songs of 2017. The prompt didn’t say the side 1 closer had to be uplifting lol.

I've also managed to cut the first side of my mixtape down to just under 45 minutes (11 songs). Can't wait to see how side 2 turns out!

Back