The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 18 - Audio code for computers
One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.
David, locked in an infirmary room, secretly recorded a computer code that played as the guard left the room. He then plugged the jack of his tape recorder into the door’s electronic panel and played back the recorded sounds, causing the door to open, Wargames (directed by John Badham, 1983).
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

Jamie xx - In Waves

My vinyl is still in transit, but Bandcamp's got my back until then. First listen through tells me this new album of bangers is a fitting follow-up to Four Tet.

Track - "All You Children (feat. The Avalanches)"

1000152251.jpg

Day 20 – The old well-worn favorite mixtape
Play something that has stayed on constant rotation for you over the years.

The Jam - Dig The New Breed (Big Bird)

While I can’t remember if I bought this or Snap (cassette) first, The Jam have been a big part of my life since the early 80s, and this is still one of my go to albums of theirs . Every song could be on my mixtape but going with the Eddie Floyd classic here.

IMG_0518.jpeg

As a bonus here is a pic of the Modfather from last week. 66 and still rocking hard.
IMG_0509.jpeg

@Turbo - hey old man, wake up! You need to upload the next batch of prompts

@Turbo trying to sort out the next set of prompts

cassette-tape-broken-casette-tape.gif

Day 9 - Sound bites and interludes
Play something that includes sound bites, dialogue, spoken interludes or short interlude tracks.

Magdalena Bay - Imaginal Disk (signed)

20240920_155309.jpg

The tracks "True Blue Interlude" and "Feeling DiskInserted?" and function as interludes on this 2024 AotY candidate.

20220330_225009.jpg

Miss you guys 🥺

Day 18 - Audio code for computers
One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.
David, locked in an infirmary room, secretly recorded a computer code that played as the guard left the room. He then plugged the jack of his tape recorder into the door’s electronic panel and played back the recorded sounds, causing the door to open, Wargames (directed by John Badham, 1983).
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

Jamie xx - In Waves

My vinyl is still in transit, but Bandcamp's got my back until then. First listen through tells me this new album of bangers is a fitting follow-up to Four Tet.

Track - "All You Children (feat. The Avalanches)"

View attachment 214136

My copy just arrived in the mail!

Weezer - The Blue Album
IMG_9500.jpeg

This album has been by my side in one form or another since I first saw the video for “Undone (The Sweater Song)” on MTV one early autumn morning before heading to the school bus stop in 7th grade.

Jean Leloup "Le Dôme"
(1996 Audiogram; 2016 reissue)
This collection of songs have been on regular rotation for me since the album's release in the mid-90's. Leloup is what I'd call Quebec's answer to Beck. He's a guitarist with a knack for storytelling, but his albums mesh different genres. He's released albums that blend electronics and samples and others that are mellow and acoustic. This one's a trip with psychedelic, acoustic tracks and dancy jams. Fans of Bran Van 3000 will have come across Leloup (he contributed a to track on the Canadian version of Glee). One song from Le Dôme in particular hits home for me - "I Lost My Baby" (in short it recounts a tale about a fling with a girl from Ottawa... the mix of French and English is exactly how we spoke to each other, being raised as a franco-Ontarian). Name-dropping the small eastern Ontario town of Hawksbury is pretty fun too. This particular pressing is a recent purchase - so happy to finally own a vinyl copy. For the mix, I'm going with "Le Monde Est A Pleurer" since it's a bit more in tune with what I've got going. But adding "I Lost My Baby" for you all to sample if you've never had the opportunity to hear it. And what the hell, I'm throwing in "Sara" too so you can hear the variability in the songs.

IMG_1846.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"

Day 19 – Fast-Forward and Rewind
One of the biggest drawbacks to cassettes is the inability to easily cue up tracks like you can with vinyl, CD’s or even digital. If you want to hear a specific track, you have to fast-forward, hit play to hear where you are, and keep hitting FF and rewind until you hit the right spot. You want to hear a track again, you need to rewind and noodle around (although decks with number counters could be useful if you noted down the number where the track starts). In a sense, this quirk makes cassettes a perfect medium for listening to your mixtape as a whole. Have you driven around with a mixtape in the car, just letting it loop around multiple times in its entirety?
Play an album you feel must be listened to in its entirety.

The Notwist - Neon Golden

Track - "Consequence"

1000152281.jpg

Back