The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 4 - Philips

Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

Phill Niblock - Nothin' to Look at Just a Record

20240905_115602.jpg

Not quite "Phil," but close enough.
Phill Niblock was a videographer, filmmaker, and composer focusing his work on the avantgarde, several of which were associated with "deep listening." His compositions have influenced many, including Oren Ambarchi, Tim Hecker, and Tashi Wada. Phill was invited by Tashi and Julia Holter to attend the funeral of Yoshi Wada (Tashi's father), who was also an avantgarde composer in his own right. This composition is two sidelong tracks, both featuring deep, dissonant, heavy droning trombones. Safe to say that I wouldn't include either track in a mixtape.
He passed away in early January this year. Rest in peace, Phill Niblock.

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias

El Groupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Cryptomnesia

The jacket for this album is completely metallic with a shiny silver coat and only the title of the album in raised letters. It's very slick looking. Plus it leans toward the metallic sounds of electric freak out jams.

IMG20240905144917.jpg
Hemotep's September '24 Mix Tape

1. Dinosaur Jr. - Feel The Pain [1994]
  2. Soul Asylum - Homesick (unplugged) [1992/1993]
  3. Grateful Dead - Black Muddy River [1987]
  4. Sir Douglas Quintet - It Was Fun While It Lasted (live) [1981]
  5. El Groupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Warren Oates [2009]

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias
All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”

Danzig - Danzig
View attachment 212877

Play a Danzig’s “Mother” immediately following Grateful Dead’s “Althea” is the variety that I covet in a good mixtape. Gotta keep listeners on their toes.

I was hoping you'd pull out the tape deck for this!

Day 2 - Track two
As Rob Gordon said, now you have to hold the attention and take it up a notch.

Yep. This track does exactly that. Starburster provides a nice build on the intensity.

Fontaines D.C. ~ Romance

View attachment 212709

I got around to spinning my copy and I'm really liking the evolution in their sound. Grian honed his chops on his solo record and sings a bit more now. My LP was supposed to be 45rpm, but it still sounds pretty great as a 33.

Day 4 - Philips
Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

David Bowie - All Saints

What started as a mix cd that David made for family and friends then got an official release. A mixtape of Bowie instrumentals. Also includes Philip Glass’ Some Are which is part of his Low Symphony.

View attachment 212807

For a bit, I thought you were doing all Bowie for the month, then I realized that actually it's everybody adding some Bowie to their mixtape.

Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it
Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

Check and check.

This album has been released with added tracks as well as being degradingly resequenced.

Masters Of Reality - S/T

View attachment 212794

Ahh, scooped.
I have the second release and the remastered one, still can't find a replacement for the OG I had back in the day.
I'm glad you agree about the resequencing; I always thought 'Theme for the Scientist of the Invisible' was a GREAT way to open the album.

Day 4 - Philips
The compact cassette tape that became synonymous with mixtapes was first invented by Lou Ottens at Philips in 1962. Lou Ottens lived until the age of 93 when he passed in 2021.

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Drums by Phil.

1000151828.jpg

Back