The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 7 - Copyright infringement
Some record stores like Toronto’s Play de Record became the pinnacle of local club scenes and promoted local emerging artist by selling their mixtapes. Unfortunately, the samples on these tapes are not usually cleared, which is copyright infringement and can lead to legal troubles like the infamous RCMP raid and lawsuit against Play de Record and Traxx in 2000. Eugene Tam of Play de Record nevertheless remains one of the top architects of the Canadian club and hip-hop scene. And he’s a pretty nice guy if you get the chance to meet him. -See Drop The Needle (directed by Rob Freeman, 2022).
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

N. W. A. - Straight Outta Compton

PXL_20240908_220553769.jpg

PXL_20240908_220525304.jpg

1) Green Day - American Idiot
2) RATM - Killing in the Name
3) Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
4) Camarón - Homenaje A Federico
5) Raconteurs - Carolina Drama
6) Erykah Badu - Didn't Cha Know
7) N. W. A. - ***K Tha Police

Last edited:
Day 8 - LORAN brand tapes
The company Loran made cassettes that were as tough as they get. Their outer shells were extra strong and heat-resistant. The tape material itself was not thought of as being very good for making quality recordings however.
Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve. Alternatively, play a record with a beat-up sleeve. Bonus point if the pressing is average.

Run The Jewels seems to out do themselves with every release, granted this has 4 discs with instrumentals.

PXL_20240908_220258031.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20240908_223117782.jpg

8) RTJ - Ooh La La

Day 9 - Sound bites and interludes
Play something that includes sound bites, dialogue, spoken interludes or short interlude tracks.

The last free radio broadcast before the government takes control of all media brought to you by Shooter Jennings & Hierophant and DJ Will O' The Wisp (Stephen King)...

This record was released 14 years ago and is much more prophetic today than it was then. A truly spectacular listen...

Shooter Jennings & Hierophant - Black Ribbons

IMG_6422.jpeg

Did you add sound bites or various interludes to your mixes? I used to find ways to record various soundbites out of my favorite films to add quirk to a mix. I remember spending quite some time trying to lift the “Let me tell you about my mother” line off a Blade Runner VHS. I plugged the VCR audio out into the auxiliary in of my receiver and timed the button presses to get the precise bite I wanted onto cassette, to then dub that into the mixtape. Making these mixtapes was a serious art form that took effort, but so fun.
Play something that includes sound bites, dialogue, spoken interludes or short interlude tracks.

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - Confessions Of A Knife...

This has some movie samples in it.
A sample of the samples:
Joan from The Sixth Sense (1972)
Ida Wanna Cracker? from Female Trouble (1974)

PXL_20240908_231055150.jpg

8) RTJ - Ooh La La
9) MLWTTKK - Burning Dirt

Last edited:
Day 8 - LORAN brand tapes
Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve. Alternatively, play a record with a beat-up sleeve. Bonus point if the pressing is average.

Given the amount of joints rolled on this over the years in millions of households, it has to be a tank of a sleeve to hold up so well, right?

Adding Misty Mountain Hop onto the playlist.

Led Zeppelin ~ IV

IMG_0752.jpeg

Guess I'll follow up one classic album with another. With what I would assume is one of the most oft-quoted pieces of spoken dialogue from an album.

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Pink Floyd ~ The Wall

IMG_0753.jpeg

MC Solaar "Qui Sème Le Vent Récolte Le Tempo"
(1991 Polydor; 2021 reissue)
There are a couple interludes on here, and I'm actually adding one in the mix. The interlude itself repeats the phrase "c'est bon" ("this is good") in front of a jazzy beat. It think it might help with pacing and transition.

IMG_1834.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"

Beastie Boys -Check Your Head (Blue Nun)
the 80s and 90s were such a heyday of musicians incorporating founds sounds (movie dialogue, ads etc) into their records. One of my favourites is the Blue Nun ad from Check Your Head. I always loved starting off mixtapes with things like this.
IMG_0500.jpeg

Day 9: Sound Bites and Interludes

Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814

IMG_8963.jpeg

This album has some of my favourite interludes. I would’ve put “T.V.” on the playlist, but “Let’s Dance” fits the best, a bridge between the last few songs I’ve played (all political in tone) and tomorrow’s pick (which isn’t very political afaik).

Day 10 - The Walkman
Play something that goes well with a walk, run or workout.

Kaytranada "Timeless"
(2024 RCA)
I like something with energy, often a good beat, and that sounds great on headphones when out and about for a walk. This latest Kaytranada release is pretty good in that regard. For the mixtape, I'm going to go with the short track with chopped-up samples, Dance Dance Dance Dance. So back-to-back transitions to keep things funky but varied.

IMG_1835.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"

Day 10 - The Walkman
Play something that goes well with a walk, run or workout.

I'll go with a walk. Preferably in the woods. Not usually a music listener on those, but if need be I'd go with something acoustic and reflective. Picking 'Which Will' for the playlist as its time to slow things down a bit there as well.

Nick Drake ~ Pink Moon

IMG_0759.jpeg

Back