The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 7: Copyright Infringement

Bob Marley & the Wailers
- Burnin’

View attachment 213085

Yeah, that sheriff probably had it coming…

Also @Turbo i just noticed on the first page, there’s no day 10…

Lol, I guess I did 1-9 instead of 1-10… I’ll add it tonight when I get back home. All 30 days are ready anyway, I just like revealing them in chunks.

Edit: done.

Last edited:
Day 6 - Mixtape downloads
“If you order a Rick Ross or Macklemore CD…”
“…I would not order a Macklemore CD. That would never happen
.” – Malcolm Adekanbi, avid old-school hip-hop and mixtape download fan, cutting off a music-based analogy about selling dope, Dope (directed by Rick Famuyima, 2015).
Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.
The first time I ever heard the song Gin and Juice was actually a cover version, by The Gourds. A friend put it on a mix CD for me.
IMG_9563.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice

Day 7 Play something that references skirting breaking of the law, preferably for noble reasons.
Steve Earle - Burnin it Down - from The Low Highway
IMG_9564.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down

Day 7 - Copyright infringement

Drive-By Truckers – The Dirty South
1000008377.jpg

"Double Digit unemployment, TVA be shutting soon
While over there in Huntsville, They puttin' people on the moon

So I took to runnin' numbers for this man I used to know
And I sell a few narcotics and I sell a little blow
I ain't getting rich now but I'm gettin' more than by
It's really tough to make a living but a man just got to try

If I died in Colbert County, Would it make the evening news?
They too busy blowin' rockets, Puttin' people on the moon"

Day 8 - LORAN brand tapes
Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve. Alternatively, play a record with a beat-up sleeve. Bonus point if the pressing is average.

You need a hella heavy duty sleeve to handle 4 LPs.

Fun fact - there's a hidden 5th LP sealed in the center gatefold. For some inexplicable reason, I've never extracted it...

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth

IMG_6411.jpegIMG_6412.jpeg

Day 6 - Mixtape downloads
Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download
Spaceghostpurrp - NASA The Mixtape - “Sex Money Drugs Adultswim (Wavy)”
1725776400362.jpeg

of course the only mixtape LP i have is on some spaced-out ish

1. DJ Format ft. Edan – "Spaceship Earth"
2. Rodion G.A. – "Uneori"
3. 101 Strings – "Trippin' on Lunar 07"
4. Jorge Ben – "Errare Humanum Est"
5. Silver Apples – "Program"
6. Spaceghostpurrp - “Sex Money Drugs Adult Swim (Wavy)”

Day 7 - Copyright infringement
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

Kendra Smith presents the Guild of Temporal Adventurers - “The Wheel of the Law”

IMG_1120.jpeg
i call on ships in the night to force a path for the light, open their hearts and their minds to this song. set fire to mens lives with the bonfire flames, insects throw their lives into the bonfire flames, under it you'll see this world is darkness and this floating world's a dream so burn in mad abandon and there's nothing to it at all, keep on turning the wheel of the law and i'll turn back the tides of time so you don't feel the pain, here in this citadel times keep changing day by day, dive dive into the deep blue dream, they don't feel me anymore though i'm just outside their door, they keep turning the wheel of the law and we can open the gates of the sun. i call on the ships in the night to force a path for the light. open their hearts and their minds to this song. they don't feel me anymore though i'm just outside their door, they'll keep turning the wheel of the law so we can open the gates of the sun, and there's nothing to it all, keep on turning the wheel of the law and i'll turn back the tides of time so you don't feel the pain…”

1. DJ Format ft. Edan – "Spaceship Earth"
2. Rodion G.A. – "Uneori"
3. 101 Strings – "Trippin' on Lunar 07"
4. Jorge Ben – "Errare Humanum Est"
5. Silver Apples – "Program"
6. Spaceghostpurrp - “Sex Money Drugs Adult Swim (Wavy)”
7. Kendra Smith and the Guild of Temporal Adventurers - “Wheel of the Law”

Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve. Alternatively, play a record with a beat-up sleeve. Bonus point if the pressing is average.

Bob Marley & The Wailers "Rastaman Vibrations"
(1976 Island Records; 2022 Analogue Productions UHQR)
These massive UHQR slipcases are the first thing that came to mind when thinking of a "tank of a sleeve". No bonus points though because the pressing is phenomenal. For the mix, I'm going with Roots Rock Reggae, to continue the funk but with a reggae vibe.

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Wild God

Really struggled with this prompt. Then I pulled this record down from the “incoming” pile. The sleeve is a heavy duty beast. It is also bigger than other records by about 1/4in at the top and side (see photo). It is a Stoughton tip-on jacket but a lot of the reviews on Discogs complain how tight it is, making it difficult to slide in the album. So much so it is one of my few records that I store with the record outside the outer sleeve.

Still not sure what the overall theme of my mixtape is going to be. I know it will be 2 parts, one for each side of the TDK-90. Wild God is the song that I will include (Rape and pillage / In the retirement village)
IMG_0497.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve
V/A - You’re Not From Around Here - Buzz Clifford - “Wouldn’t It Be Nice (To Have Wings & Fly)”
IMG_1171.jpeg

Numero Group puts out a lot of me-coded product, but nothing more so than this compilation of forgotten downer surf and exotica, put forward as a soundtrack to a non-existent low budget noir and packaged inside a replica of the Goldberg canisters that we film exhibitors ship 35mm prints around in.

Back