The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 4 - Philips

Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

Produced by Phil Spector

Ramones - End of the Century

IMG_0043.jpeg

1 - Art Brut - Formed a Band
2 - The Saints - Lost and Found
3 - The Clash - Hate & War
4 - Ramones - I'm Affected

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias

All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”.

Bob Mould - Silver Age

IMG_0045.jpeg

The mixtape so far:

1 - Art Brut - Formed a Band
2 - The Saints - Lost and Found
3 - The Clash - Hate & War
4 - Ramones - I'm Affected
5 - Bob Mould - Fugue State

Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it
“I love this. I make these little mix tapes together. You know, I put all my favorite songs together. Hey Cosmo, what number is this? Number - number eleven, yeah. I love it. When you buy a tape or something or an album, you know, you put it on and the songs are - the band put the songs in some fuckin' order like they want you to listen to it in that order. You know, I hate that. I fuckin' hate that. I don't like to be told what to listen to, when to listen to it or anything! Fuck.” -Rahad Jackson, Boogie Nights (directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997).
Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

This version of Foster The People - Torches X has three versions of "Pumped Up Kicks"

PXL_20240906_220949668.jpg
PXL_20240906_221011732.jpg

Mix tape so far...

1) Green Day - American Idiot
2) RATM - Killing in the Name
3) Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks

Day 4 - Philips
The compact cassette tape that became synonymous with mixtapes was first invented by Lou Ottens at Philips in 1962. Lou Ottens lived until the age of 93 when he passed in 2021.
Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

I didn't think I had a "Philips" record, but I do!

Camarón – La Leyenda Del Tiempo

PXL_20240906_223128591.jpg

Mix tape so far...

4) it's been a while for me to listen, so I will and choose my faves...

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias
There were four types of cassettes, all comprising some sort of magnetic coating on a polyester strip. Type one is Normal Bias and include ferric oxide. The others are High Bias, with type 2 being a chrome tape, type 3 a ferro-chrome-cobalt mix and type 4 being a “metal” tape. There were extra notches on top of the cassettes to help players tell them apart (part of and in addition to the erase-protection notch).
All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”.

This is all about the metal copper. Without copper, there would be zero electronics (gold will work, but would be prohibitively expensive)

The Raconteurs - Consolers Of the Lonely

PXL_20240906_231244870.jpg

4) Camarón - Homenaje A Federico
5) Raconteurs - Carolina Drama

Day 6 - Mixtape downloads
“If you order a Rick Ross or Macklemore CD…”
“…I would not order a Macklemore CD. That would never happen.” – Malcolm Adekanbi, avid old-school hip-hop and mixtape download fan, cutting off a music-based analogy about selling dope, Dope (directed by Rick Famuyima, 2015).
Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.

I hope this qualifies as "old school." I have older releases, but wanted to spin this as it inspired groups like OutKast.

Erykah Badu – Mama's Gun

PXL_20240907_001132713.jpg

4) Camarón - Homenaje A Federico
5) Raconteurs - Carolina Drama
6) Erykah Badu - Didn't Cha Know

Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield

Song for the playlist- Drop Me In The Middle

I STRUGGLED with picking for this one... I don't have that much when it comes to Hip-Hop, but then I remembered this gem and how infused it is with those old school R+B and Hip Hop vibes. Hope this fits! I am so glad that this aligned so that I could use this for today!

1725673143353.png

Day 7 - Copyright infringement
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

WAR "Greatest Hits"
(1976 United Artists; 2024 Analogue Productions)
The Cisco Kid is about a couple fictional desperados, The Cisco Kid and Pancho, who are on the run from the law and act like Robin Hoods. The song keeps the loose funky theme I've had going while taking the mix back in time a little.

IMG_1814.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"

Last edited:
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

I'm not feeling particularly noble on this Saturday morning, and while Dicks like Cheney and Trump get away with skirting the law most of those who do so for noble purposes get f'ed. Neil is always good for a bit of righteous anger though.

Neil Young - Freedom

Crime In The City
IMG20240907101746.jpg
Hemotep's September '24 Mix Tape

1. Dinosaur Jr. - Feel The Pain [1994]
  2. Soul Asylum - Homesick (unplugged) [1992/1993]
  3. Grateful Dead - Black Muddy River [1987]
  4. Sir Douglas Quintet - It Was Fun While It Lasted (live) [1981]
  5. El Groupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Warren Oates [2009]
  6. Scarface - My Block [2002]
  7. Neil Young - Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero Part I) [1989]

Beck - Odelay
IMG_9152.jpeg

I chose this because of the producers, The Dust Brothers who notoriously sampled everything but the kitchen sink with or without clearance (it was a different time) with their production of Odelay and The Besastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique.

Clash - Sandinista (Police On My Back)
Police On My Back is one of the highlights of this beast of an album. Also happens to be a cover, originally done by The Equals with a young Eddie Grant. I loved including covers on my mixtapes.
IMG_0489.jpeg

The week's mix so far

“If you order a Rick Ross or Macklemore CD…”
“…I would not order a Macklemore CD. That would never happen
.” – Malcolm Adekanbi, avid old-school hip-hop and mixtape download fan, cutting off a music-based analogy about selling dope, Dope (directed by Rick Famuyima, 2015).
Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.

Hot Chip - DJ-Kicks

Next up, the jam "My Piano" from Hot Chip's DJ-Kicks mix.

1000151938.jpg

Back