This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 19
Them: “You’ve got to listen to this. It’ll change your life!” (watches for reaction, smile slowly grows)
You: (puts other headphone on): “… uhh, yeah, I’ve heard this. It’s... it's just the ‘Happy Birthday Song?”

The Needles & Grooves forum (and the VMP forums before it) have introduced me to numerous new artists that I certainly would have never heard of without it. Play a record that you own only because you heard of it from N&G.

The Sea and Cake - one bedroom

I already played Tortoise, or it would be that. But through that and the love for Jeff Parker, I think it was @TenderLovingKiller® that turned me on to The Sea and Cake & Gastr Del Sol. These are a tiny amount of bands this fine place has turned me on to. It’s been nice to go through the era’s and always have something like this. I used to get a lot of recommendations from the users at Rdio and Lala before they shut down.

View attachment 187635
You just reminded me of MOG. Anyone else use that for streaming early on? It was my favorite, no doubt.

November 19
Them: “You’ve got to listen to this. It’ll change your life!” (watches for reaction, smile slowly grows)
You: (puts other headphone on): “… uhh, yeah, I’ve heard this. It’s... it's just the ‘Happy Birthday Song?”

The Needles & Grooves forum (and the VMP forums before it) have introduced me to numerous new artists that I certainly would have never heard of without it. Play a record that you own only because you heard of it from N&G.

The Sea and Cake - one bedroom

I already played Tortoise, or it would be that. But through that and the love for Jeff Parker, I think it was @TenderLovingKiller® that turned me on to The Sea and Cake & Gastr Del Sol. These are a tiny amount of bands this fine place has turned me on to. It’s been nice to go through the era’s and always have something like this. I used to get a lot of recommendations from the users at Rdio and Lala before they shut down.

View attachment 187635
It’s that whole Chicago indie rock scene. Jeff Parker, Tortoise, Sea & Cake, Jim O’Rourke, Sam Prekop, John McEntire, Jeff Tweedy, etc… just a pleasant vibe built upon layers of complex and intricate technical skill.

November 19

Ok a bit of a cheat here because I want to listen to this album. Not discovered because of N&G (had the cd since the early oughts) but @Mather hipped me to this reissue, several months after it being released and being pretty rare in stores. It sounds fan-fnckin-tastic

Beta Band - 3 Eps box set
IMG_0065.jpg

November 18
(Enters record shop, owner behind counter looks up and immediately gives out a sigh of frustration upon seeing who has just walked through the door. The smell of aged vinyl fills your nostrils and your eyes are already burning from the dust and cigarette-smoke infused record covers)

What’s your favorite/most surprising find that you’ve purchased from your favorite record store (local to you or not). Give the store a shout out! What do you love about this shop?

Harold Budd/Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror

20231119_132422.jpg

There's probably others I'm not thinking of, though this relatively acceptable $18 used arrival at Mississippi Records is among my favorite finds.
They survived an arson a few months ago. An unknown cretin threw a Molotov into one of the store windows. This caused considerable damage via ash to the nearby awning/immediate surroundings, considerable losses in burned/warped records, and of course a broken window. They have made a quick and sound recovery and got back to business the very next day with the help of the Portland community, helping scrub down jackets/LPs of salvageable used stock, wiping down store surfaces/floor, and providing monetary donations to help replenish stock. They are still among my favorite stores that I frequent. Their label specializes in obscure, forgotten folk/blues/Americana/soul/African music and put out in limited quantities (usually /500 runs). I bought my first Mississippi Records release just yesterday, conveniently enough...will share on next month's acquisition summary.

Day 19: Them: “You’ve got to listen to this. It’ll change your life!” (watches for reaction, smile slowly grows)

Colemine Records presents Soul Slabs, Vol. 1

IMG_7616.jpeg

I was introduced to DJ&TI & Kelly Finnigan through the old place right before they closed shop, but I don’t think I’d’ve gone as far down the Colemine rabbit hole as I have without N&G, so thanks for that!

November 13
(singing along, music playing loud in headphones) “Late night, come home/WORK SUCKS, I KNOW!!”
(boss pokes head over your cubicle wall): “Sorry, what was that?”

What albums got you through tough shifts at work, either in the past or in your current job?

Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want to Turn Into You

This one has gotten more than a few plays while grading homework and such...

Screenshot_20231119_155246_Poweramp.jpg

November 19

Khemmis - Hunted (signed)

20231120_062119.jpg

This one showcases their clear influence from Candlemass so well. All of the tunes are tight, clear and focused, and are representative of a modern culmination of the essence of doom/stoner metal, along with some really good 'death' style vocals that compliment and never feel out of place. Not a dime-a-dozen group, no sir. One of N&G's finest picks.
They lit up Portland back in May.

20230520_221223.jpg20230520_231315.jpg

November 20
“Oh yeah, I remember them! Didn’t they break up years ago?”

Play one of your favorite artists that is way overdue for releasing a new album, or that you would love to get back together. What album sold you on this band/musician in the first place?

So many to choose from - Talking Heads would be my #1 - and it seems like now is the best chance for it to happen - even if it's a small chance. XTC could do it as they are all still releasing music separately. I'd like to see the 2 remaining Beastie Boys release something - maybe not as "Beastie Boys". It seemed as though it was going to happen after their Book/Story/Music were released, but that was 5 years ago. Same with Rush - I'd like to see Geddy and Alex release something together - but not as "Rush".
The nu-metal fan in me is excited that Mudvayne is touring again and has plans for a new album....sometime.

This band changed to a 4 year cycle on their previous release - if they return to their previous 3 year cycle they had for years we may see a new album next year.

Mastodon – Blood Mountain
Reprise Records – 523542-1, 2006/2009

2x 45 RPM

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

WVJ29Zc.jpg

bgnlK31.jpg

November 20

Play one of your favorite artists that is way overdue for releasing a new album, or that you would love to get back together. What album sold you on this band/musician in the first place?

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

20231120_064101.jpg

Their final studio record, which feels weird to say that it's just over a decade old. It'll never happen, I know, but I'm hurt about never getting to experience a live stadium of their raucous, finely produced French House music. This isn't the one that sold me on them (it was Discovery) though it did mark an unexpected genre blend that they hadn't experimented with before.

November 20

Talking Heads would be my #1
1700516045273.gif

But I'm going with Pulp!
Different Class was my introduction to the band. Their run from "His 'n' Hers" to "We love life" was amazing. Jarvis Cocker is such a great lyricist and his delivery....
And they played a new song on tour! Hopefully it's not a one off.

Pulp - His'n'Hers

IMG_6015.jpeg

November 20

Luna - Penthouse

I doubt Luna will ever make a record of new material, so I think this is a perfect choice. Luna called it quits in 2004 and then reformed in 2015 to play a few live shows. They play live sporadically but are still active. Following the route of so many reformed bands, they released a covers album in 2017. I don’t expect any new music from them but happy they are still touring occasionally.
IMG_0066.jpg

Day 20: “Oh yeah, I remember them! Didn’t they break up years ago?”

Janet - Unbreakable

IMG_7618.jpeg

Janet’s latest album which came out just after my 19th birthday, in 2015. She put out a standalone single in 2018 & teased new music here and there in the last 5 years, including an album & tour called Black Diamond in early 2020 which didn’t end up happening for… obvious reasons, but she hasn’t released any new music since.

November 20

Chromatics "Kill For Love" (2012 Italians Do It Better)
Probably will never happen. Possibly was never meant to ever happen. But I so want to hear Dear Tommy. I mean, most of the tracks leaked anyway. And killer tracks they were. But now that shit's hit the fan and the band isn't together anymore, I wouldn't hold my breath. I was sold on Chromatics immediately upon hearing the After Dark compilation in 2007. Loved their first record Night Drive. This one, Kill For Love, is well, killer. I'm happy I got the opportunity to see the whole Italians Do It Better crew play live - they happened to be playing at this place called Rickshaw in San Francisco when I was there for a few days in 2008. That was fun. Anyway, here's to hoping the planets align and Dear Tommy actually sees the light of day...

IMG_0629.JPG

November 20
Play one of your favorite artists that is way overdue for releasing a new album, or that you would love to get back together.

R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now

IMG_6403.jpeg

I warned my wife that if R.E.M. announced a reunion show, I’d be doing what I can to get to it. Hopefully it’d be in Georgia so I could just hop in my car and drive up there. This was a great final record, in my opinion

November 21
Me: “Me, me, me, me, me!”

So today, it’s not about you. It’s about me, because it’s my birthday. You have a few options:
  • Play something that you think I’d love
  • Play something that you know I love
  • Play an artist that shares this birthday with me
  • Play an artist from my hometown (I’ll accept Seattle but you’ll receive a digital high-five if you can be more specific with Tacoma, WA)
  • Play an artist from my current area of residence (Alabama or Florida)
Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs "Under The Covers Vol. 3" (2013 Shout! Factory; 2020 Demon Records reissue)
I remember from a post earlier this month that you enjoy Power Pop and Matthew Sweet in particular. So do I! I'm not sure if you know his series of covers he did with Susanna Hoffs (formerly of The Bangles)... well, you probably do, but just in case. I believe you'd like this as well. Volume 3, which covers the 80's, is my favorite of the series. These covers are so much fun! REM, The dB's, Pretenders, Tom Petty, English Beat, The Go-Go's, The Smiths, Roxy Music, XTC, Echo & The Bunnymen, Lindsay Buckingham, The Clash, Marshall Crenshaw, Prince... such exquisite taste with these selections.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

IMG_0634.JPG

Last edited:
November 21

So today, it’s not about you. It’s about me, because it’s my birthday. You have a few options:
  • Play an artist from my hometown (I’ll accept Seattle but you’ll receive a digital high-five if you can be more specific with Tacoma, WA)

Björk - Post

20231121_105407.jpg

My 3rd favorite artist ever is 58 today.

Last edited:
November 21

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs "Under The Covers Vol. 3" (2013 Shout! Factory; 2020 Demon Records reissue)
I remember from a post earlier this month that you enjoy Power Pop and Matthew Sweet in particular. So do I! I'm not sure if you know his series of covers he did with Susanna Hoffs (formerly of The Bangles)... well, you probably do, but just in case. I believe you'd like this as well. Volume 3, which covers the 80's, is my favorite of the series. These covers are so much fun! REM, The dB's, Pretenders, Tom Petty, English Beat, The Go-Go's, The Smiths, Roxy Music, XTC, Echo & The Bunnymen, Lindsay Buckingham, The Clash, Marshall Crenshaw, Prince... such exquisite taste with these selections.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

View attachment 187941

Yes!! Perfect!

November 21

Björk - Post

View attachment 187943

My 3rd favorite artist ever is 58 today.

Correct. Bjork is one of the co-hosts to our shared birthday bash

Last edited:
Back