Upcoming/Recent Shows

Date night with Mrs. Xfactor511 tonight for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit at Jacob's Pavilion in Cleveland. My 6th time, and first since the dental surgery and divorce. Probably the best vocal performance I've ever heard from him. They always put on a great show. The new album didn't hit quite like the others so what got played from it (9 songs) was still very good, but had me wishing to hear more older stuff. Except for King of Oklahoma. That song rips so hard

View attachment 213312

Caught the latter half of opener Alejandro Escovedo's set. Had almost a late career Elvis Costello sound to it. I dug what I heard. I know he's a bit of an underground legend.

View attachment 213313
Alejandro is the best. Love this pairing getting him some attention.

Crawlers / Love & Rockets / Jane’s Addiction

9/11 at Pier 17 in NYC

After Perry had a very bad night at the previous show (look it up) glad Janes rallied. They were in great form. L&R were great as well, was very excited to be able to see them.

Also venue was killer.

Crawlers
IMG_5024.jpeg

Love and Rockets ❤️🚀
IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5045.jpeg

IMG_5057.jpeg

Jane’s Addiction

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5140.jpeg

Soul Coughing ~ Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach CA 9/11/24

Been waiting 25+ years to see this show. I lived in Minneapolis in the mid-90s where Soul Coughing were heavily played on the radio (RIP to the late, great REV 105!) and they had some legendary shows at First Avenue. Between my first child being born and working as a night auditor at a hotel, circumstances didn't allow me to see them at the time. And by the time life allowed me to start going to shows again, they had split up, ostensibly for good under acrimonious circumstances.

I've seen Mike Doughty solo, and figured that was going to be as good as it got. So getting a reunion tour, and it being the first stop on the tour was pretty special. They played two sold out shows here, I went to the second night. Won't spoil the set (link is below), but a good representation of all 3 albums. Crowd was super into it, and every single member of the band was locked in. The rhythm section in particular was tight. Being able to watch Sebastian Steinberg play those iconic bass lines on the double bass was fantastic, as was watching Yuval play the drums with the tricky time signatures.

Not sure it will be the norm for the tour, but there was no opener, Soul Coughing went on about 8:30 and played for a little under 2 hours. Got myself a tour shirt that looks like @Mtcvinyl 's avatar too.

IMG_0803.jpegIMG_0784.jpegIMG_0792.jpeg

Soul Coughing ~ Belly Up Tavern, Solana Beach CA 9/11/24

Been waiting 25+ years to see this show. I lived in Minneapolis in the mid-90s where Soul Coughing were heavily played on the radio (RIP to the late, great REV 105!) and they had some legendary shows at First Avenue. Between my first child being born and working as a night auditor at a hotel, circumstances didn't allow me to see them at the time. And by the time life allowed me to start going to shows again, they had split up, ostensibly for good under acrimonious circumstances.

I've seen Mike Doughty solo, and figured that was going to be as good as it got. So getting a reunion tour, and it being the first stop on the tour was pretty special. They played two sold out shows here, I went to the second night. Won't spoil the set (link is below), but a good representation of all 3 albums. Crowd was super into it, and every single member of the band was locked in. The rhythm section in particular was tight. Being able to watch Sebastian Steinberg play those iconic bass lines on the double bass was fantastic, as was watching Yuval play the drums with the tricky time signatures.

Not sure it will be the norm for the tour, but there was no opener, Soul Coughing went on about 8:30 and played for a little under 2 hours. Got myself a tour shirt that looks like @Mtcvinyl 's avatar too.

View attachment 213414View attachment 213415View attachment 213416

So excited for the shows in NYC next month!!!

Outlaw Music Festival tonight with Willie, Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, and Southern Avenue.

I wasn't able to get off work early enough to see Southern Avenue, but they're doing an in-studio at the radio station tomorrow, so excited for that

My first time seeing John Mellencamp, and yes his voice sounds more like Tom Waits these days, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip through the hits. He also covered "All Along the Watchtower" and said something like "There ya go, Bob". Hinting at what was to come.
PXL_20240912_222050596.MP.jpg

Ah yes, Bob "Never Plays the Hits Anymore" Dylan. Until this show was announced I thought my one and only time ever seeing him was going to be last year in a cozy Akron theater. But no, Willie gave me a second dose, and this time he had a few surprises and a few more hits in the setlist for us. The first surprise was a bust out thanks to Mr. Mellencamp of "All Along the Watchtower" for the first time since 2018. Also a nice mid-set cover of Stella Blue for the Deadheads in the crowd. I think Bob sounded a little better last year, but glad I was able to see the legend again.
PXL_20240913_001556685.jpg

Oh, Willie. 91 years young. I admire it. Last year I described his set as elder abuse. This year, however was much better. No cough like he had last summer, and his voice was much stronger.
PXL_20240913_014229515.MP.jpgPXL_20240913_021741887.jpg

Eyedress / Glass Animals ~ North Island Federal Credit Union Ampitheater 9/13/24

If I'd been waiting 25+ years for Soul Coughing on Thursday, my 17 year old has been waiting about 7 years to see this show. Not that I wasn't interested, it was my third time seeing them, but she just hadn't had the chance as the last few times they toured through here they played 21+ venues.

Eyedress was the opener, really enjoyed their set. Had a cool New Order / Molchat Doma sound. Would definitely see them again.

IMG_0822.jpeg

Was curious about how Glass Animals would do in a large amphitheater, both times previous were at small venues before they blew up. They upped the production quite a bit, and held the room. Very engaged with the audience and vice versa. We were in the back row of the seated area and Dave Bayley (the lead singer) ran behind us and up on the lawn to sing Gooey. The kid was dancing with her friends the whole night and scored a signed poster as well. Good night all around.

IMG_0838.jpegIMG_0865.jpeg

Dave (in the white tank) behind us getting immediately mobbed on the lawn.

IMG_0847.jpeg

Alison Russell / Hozier ~ North Island Federal Credit Union Ampitheater 9/14/24

Back for round two of my daughters birthday concert weekend. Her birthday is in March, but the two shows she wanted to see were back to back in September.

Opener was Alison Russel who I was looking forward to seeing, having been introduced to her as part of Birds of Chicago in an early AOTM. Great set, and she popped up with Hozier a few times during his set as well.

Venue was packed for Hozier. We sat at the very back of the lawn just to have a little space. Loved it though. Sound was great, Hozier has an amazing vocal range, and he was very gracious with the audience.

IMG_0929.jpeg

The kid (in black) and her friends, totally tuned in to the show. Honestly watching them get so into live music was one of the best parts of the night.

IMG_0951.jpeg

Saw some incredible bands over the past few days but at what cost.

St. Vincent
BrrolfP.png

wCrlvDC.jpeg

Weezer
q8xLhv2.jpeg

5eNXpII.jpeg

The Flaming Lips
bodtFbO.jpeg

dTpnphA.jpeg

Dinosaur Jr.
nZmnaeO.jpeg

The National
ykCmFJr.jpeg

nxaQffL.jpeg

YWL8saQ.jpeg

The War on Drugs
ahvPAz9.jpeg

ohDSpPq.jpeg

Lucius
CfaPrDK.jpeg

Pulp
EIcvqrV.png

VPE6yqQ.png

After a bit of a dry spell of buying tixs, I bought three tonight! Upcoming in the next month are a local band called DOOM GONG (seriously check them out, it's their vinyl release party this Friday), Lightning Bolt, and Mannequin Pussy. These are all at small venues, so it should be a blast.

Back